ADVERTISEMENT

How the NIL game is now being played

Dec 7, 2007
Interesting article on the ESPN website explaining how Nick Saban and Bama are adjusting to the new recruiting landscape as a result of NIL:

After reading the article, you understand why Saban is so successful: instead of just complaining how NIL has changed the recruiting game, he has adjusted the Bama program to take advantage of it. He's also smart enough to recognize that success on the field will ultimately trump NIL money: "[Saban's] pitch to recruits, according to multiple sources, is simple yet effective: Do you want to make an extra $30,000 in NIL somewhere else, or do you want to come here and make an extra $30 million by going to the NFL? ... Saban says playing for national championships and developing for the next level should trump upfront NIL money. He can look no further than Texas A&M's highly touted classes of 2021 and 2022, which have seen 15 departures following a 5-7 season with just two wins in SEC play last season, for evidence that winning matters."

Hate to say it, but I think Swarbrick still refuses to accept and embrace change. There has to be a way ND can accommodate the brave new world of NIL without selling its soul to the devil, but I fear Swarbrick isn't creative enough, or simply isn't looking.

Interesting article on the ESPN website explaining how Nick Saban and Bama are adjusting to the new recruiting landscape as a result of NIL:

After reading the article, you understand why Saban is so successful: instead of just complaining how NIL has changed the recruiting game, he has adjusted the Bama program to take advantage of it. He's also smart enough to recognize that success on the field will ultimately trump NIL money: "[Saban's] pitch to recruits, according to multiple sources, is simple yet effective: Do you want to make an extra $30,000 in NIL somewhere else, or do you want to come here and make an extra $30 million by going to the NFL? ... Saban says playing for national championships and developing for the next level should trump upfront NIL money. He can look no further than Texas A&M's highly touted classes of 2021 and 2022, which have seen 15 departures following a 5-7 season with just two wins in SEC play last season, for evidence that winning matters."

Hate to say it, but I think Swarbrick still refuses to accept and embrace change. There has to be a way ND can accommodate the brave new world of NIL without selling its soul to the devil, but I fear Swarbrick isn't creative enough, or simply isn't looking.
You are fooling yourself if you think that Jack has the final say over NIL. It’s the BOT, period. They still have handcuffs on

Sounds like ND has a potential breakthrough. Not to mention the video game is coming out and Notre Dame has the largest fan base.

Reactions: Kelso86
We don’t even allow names on jerseys. Anti NIL?
"We don’t even allow names on jerseys."

What does having a name (or not) on the back of the jersey have anything to do with it?

BTW -- it started with Holtz -- he CHOSE to not have names on the back in order to create the "team" atmosphere". I believe Weis put the names on the jerseys for bowl games as a "reward" (I don't recall Holtz doing it, but could be wrong). Heck, last fall, Freeman had the names on the jerseys for the California game.

Listening to a recent podcast where Brady Quinn was extensively interviewed regarding NIL and a variety of subjects, I heard all I needed to hear regarding NIL and the future of Notre Dame Football.

What does having a name (or not) on the back of the jersey have anything to do with it?

BTW -- it started with Holtz -- he CHOSE to not have names on the back in order to create the "team" atmosphere". I believe Weis put the names on the jerseys for bowl games as a "reward" (I don't recall Holtz doing it, but could be wrong). Heck, last fall, Freeman had the names on the jerseys for the California game.
Actually. Ara started the "no-name" policy...except for bowl games...

Reactions: raycyrx

Not just Saban and Alabama ----Georgia, OSU and a few others are also using this strategy. And I was reading that it will only get better for OSU as they could have anywhere from 14 to 17 players drafted next year. I believe that 247 had 7 or 8 OSU players going in the 1st round. The record is 15 total players drafted a few years back by Georgia. That's a heck of a recruiting tool for OSU.

On the other side, though, are question marks about the yearly shitty OSU defense. They've SUCKED the last 3 to 4 years. Can they figure it out? My guess is NO. Massive talent doesn't always equate to success on the field and that's a black eye for Ryan Day and his subpar staff.

Reactions: FightingIrish44
Listening to a recent podcast where Brady Quinn was extensively interviewed regarding NIL and a variety of subjects, I heard all I needed to hear regarding NIL and the future of Notre Dame Football.
Could you provide the cliff notes? Thanks in advance.

Putting names on jerseys might not matter to you but it does to elite recruits

Kids want to see there name in the video game not really hard.

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Names on jerseys, believe it or not is an issue with many recruits and their families. Some want to see the family name on those jerseys on nationally televised games. As a former AAU coach, I can tell you, it matters with this generation

Reactions: Kelso86
Names on jerseys, believe it or not is an issue with many recruits and their families. Some want to see the family name on those jerseys on nationally televised games. As a former AAU coach, I can tell you, it matters with this generation
I certainly can’t speak for this generation, but I can’t imagine that the deciding factor on deciding which college to attend is based upon whether or not the players name is on their Jersey, especially since only three powerhouse programs don’t put the names on the jerseys.

‘What college player stated that the reason that they didn’t attend USC, PSU or ND was because none of those universities put the player’s name on their jersey.

So, I DON’T believe it !

Reactions: tbonesays
  • Wow
Reactions: tbonesays
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT