Aug 24, 2003
Suggestions please

1- season is 9-3 at best so play guys who you need for next year
2- replace Parker
3- turn off tv
4- ask Lou for help
5- ?????

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Unless there is a better in-game adjuster and play caller on roster I don't know how you can pivot off of Parker in-season. What I find frustrating is there's talent on offense, too much talent, but when we're playing this antiquated pro-style offense, and without a running QB threat we need to have a coordinator who can mix things up, change formations to give the defense a ton to look at, and make quick adjustments to what the defenses are doing....we need more misdirection, run a counter run and pitch to the wide side away from the counter to a speedster like Love or Price, and watch it pick-up 7-10. Outside zone reads, and swings, and screens outside on the blitz.

I am not sure if the staff has given Hartman the latitude to audible, when he sees the box stacked and blitz coming can he change the play to a screen, or slant? Is he not making those calls, because that is the only other explanation, we forget Sam ran the slow mesh offense for 5 years...it is a gimmick offense and Sam spent 5 years reading what the backers and safeties would do whether he would pull the ball to pass. Hard to say, but I will say Rees would have done better because he was excellent at varying his formations and running the same plays out of multiple formations to confuse the defense and get lots of motion and movement to pull defenders eyes away from where he wanted the ball to go. Right now, that is not happening, and the bigger concern is coaches now seemingly pointing fingers and changing personnel hoping for better results.

Suggestions please

1- season is 9-3 at best so play guys who you need for next year
2- replace Parker
3- turn off tv
4- ask Lou for help
5- ?????
Lol to replacing parker. He was a hero for 5 games and in two with 3 wrs out ...all of a sudden he's the scapegoat.

Here's what I'd do.

1. Fisher moves to inside if he returns. He's not the guy we thought at tackle.
2. Hire a big time s & c coach
3. Play young QB next year NOT another portal guy. Pick carr or minchey and go with it from the start.
4. Look to portal for dline help. We need difference makers at both end positions.
5. Dline coach potentially needs to be replaced
6. Dump the duo based run game. Don't care what you switch to but we have big time rbs and Oline and can't run. Need to allow the lateral speed guys the chance to be difference makers. Integrate some pulls, tosses, counters... one cut plays.

Receiving corps needs to get healthy and execute. That is it. Everything else falls in place.

Reactions: mirer03
Join the Ivy League. Seriously, ND runs an Ivy League shop, but tries to play semi pro football. CFB has passed ND by and they refuse to or fail to adapt in order to field a NC caliber team. This is and will continue to be the new norm for them.

Reactions: HuddleBurger
Join the Ivy League. Seriously, ND runs an Ivy League shop, but tries to play semi pro football. CFB has passed ND by and they refuse to or fail to adapt in order to field a NC caliber team. This is and will continue to be the new norm for them.
Then how did ND vie for three (3) National Championships between 2012 and 2021 ?

Then how did ND vie for three (3) National Championships between 2012 and 2021 ?

"Vying" for a national title to me, in a legit sense, means you go into the year with one of the best rosters in the country, loaded with all americans, and dominate mediocre teams, and your peripherals/performance supports the idea that you belong ranked amongst the elite with a respectable chance to actually win the game.

In NDs case, none of that was the case. They lucked into multiple post-season games, while being huge underdogs, nobody expected them to compete, and they predictably got ran over in every single post-season game they were in.

ND went through a period in the late teens where they had the perfect storm of CRAP competition in the ACC, a softened schedule with 3-4 cupcakes, and all of their rivals being down. That meant that if Clemson wasn't on the schedule, all they had to do was play consistent football against a terrible schedule and they could go undefeated. But as soon as they got to the post-season and couldn't escape the elite teams in college football anymore, they were quickly exposed.

That isn't "vying" for national titles, that is lucking into a game they didn't belong, and getting exposed in embarrassing fashion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irish_inPSU
"Vying" for a national title to me, in a legit sense, means you go into the year with one of the best rosters in the country, loaded with all americans, and dominate mediocre teams, and your peripherals/performance supports the idea that you belong ranked amongst the elite with a respectable chance to actually win the game.

In NDs case, none of that was the case. They lucked into multiple post-season games, while being huge underdogs, nobody expected them to compete, and they predictably got ran over in every single post-season game they were in.

ND went through a period in the late teens where they had the perfect storm of CRAP competition in the ACC, a softened schedule with 3-4 cupcakes, and all of their rivals being down. That meant that if Clemson wasn't on the schedule, all they had to do was play consistent football against a terrible schedule and they could go undefeated. But as soon as they got to the post-season and couldn't escape the elite teams in college football anymore, they were quickly exposed.

That isn't "vying" for national titles, that is lucking into a game they didn't belong, and getting exposed in embarrassing fashion.
How’s that worked out for Alabama this year? They’ve dominated the recruiting landscape and played inferior opponents every step of the way just to sneak out victories against competition that hasn’t sniffed their recruiting levels and 1 loss. Perhaps coaching and great QB play is more important than you care to admit? Both areas they’ve taken steps back in.

How’s that worked out for Alabama this year? They’ve dominated the recruiting landscape and played inferior opponents every step of the way just to sneak out victories against competition that hasn’t sniffed their recruiting levels and 1 loss. Perhaps coaching and great QB play is more important than you care to admit? Both areas they’ve taken steps back in.
Bama is making adjustments....and positioning itself for the playoffs.

We need to hire an OC this off-season who has much more experience. We can’t have a HC and an OC who are both “figuring it out.”
It’s never good when you lose a 29 year old OC and his replacement is even more inexperienced…

Freeman can mask his inexperience by hiring a competent staff.

Tbh honest I’m not confident in any of the assistants, in particular the DL and OL coaches. I’ll even say i’m not confident in Stuckey’s coaching, although he does do a good job recruiting. Christ I hope our top recruits stay, in particular Carr, C Williams and KVA; must keep guys.

Reactions: IrishExpert2288
We need to hire an OC this off-season who has much more experience. We can’t have a HC and an OC who are both “figuring it out.”
It’s never good when you lose a 29 year old OC and his replacement is even more inexperienced…

Freeman can mask his inexperience by hiring a competent staff.

Tbh honest I’m not confident in any of the assistants, in particular the DL and OL coaches. I’ll even say i’m not confident in Stuckey’s coaching, although he does do a good job recruiting. Christ I hope our top recruits stay, in particular Carr, C Williams and KVA; must keep guys.
No we really don't.

The armchair ocs are nuts right now.

Sorry man, but they didn't belong in any of those games. The NC game against Bama... that was obvious they were being led to slaughter. The two playoff appearances... they were not competitive in either of them. They are a product of some really good luck by others losing late in the year.

I think the playoff expansion is going to really expose just how phony this program is. They won't make it out of the first round.

We also became a bit of a joke in the national media, as many were saying we were only getting in because of brand name, easy schedule, history etc. and didn't deserve to be there. And our performances confirmed this.

We also became a bit of a joke in the national media, as many were saying we were only getting in because of brand name, easy schedule, history etc. and didn't deserve to be there. And our performances confirmed this.
In 2018 Clemson beat Alabama for the title 44-16. In 2020 Alabama beat Ohio St. for the title 52-24.

What's your narrative for those facts?

Reactions: BGI User 756
So Notre Dame did not deserve to be there in 2018 and 2020; yet, Alabama and Ohio St., who were both routed in title games by the same teams, did.

Got it.
Don't forget Clemson getting rolled by LSU

You win. The program is in terrific shape. I just hope we can turn it around. People just like to argue here.

Last edited:
That is the perception of our program. It is not a hot take. Win a title and that goes away
You can't win with that guy. He will go whichever direction you don't. Comical. I get your point. But ND deserved to be in the playoff those years. As one of the top 4. However, it does add to perception. Especially among those that don't like ND.

You win. The progtam is in terrific shape. I nust hope we can turn it around. People just like to argue here.
God forbid someone does not agree with you. You telling me Notre Dame did not belong in either the 2018 or 2020 CFB Playoff....or the perception is ND did not earn it, because of lopsided losses, is a bunch of crap.

No we really don't.

The armchair ocs are nuts right now.
If you are saying we do not have. Major problem at offensive coordinator then that is wrong. No creativity. Predictable third down calls. No solution to what a moron would know going into Duke and Louisville - that the box would be loaded

these useless sacks of —- get paid a lot of money for being dumb and I’m referring to Parker and Swarbrick

Last edited:
Reactions: BGI User 756
God forbid someone does not agree with you. You telling me Notre Dame did not belong in either the 2018 or 2020 CFB Playoff....or the perception is ND did not earn it, because of lopsided losses, is a bunch of crap.
I think you’re both correct. We deserved to be there but our teams were not at a caliber to compete.

That was a time where 3 teams were head and shoulders above the rest.

I think you’re both correct. We deserved to be there but our teams were not at a caliber to compete.

That was a time where 3 teams were head and shoulders above the rest.
Neither were Alabama(2018) and Ohio St.(2020) "...at a caliber to compete..." in the title games. Routs.

So what.

Neither were Alabama(2018) and Ohio St.(2020) "...at a caliber to compete..." in the title games. Routs.

So what.
Good you are really an ass hat. Smartest guy in the room. Every time.

Listen folks, until ND actually wins something meaningful, not just a National Title, but a major bowl game for goodness sakes, they will remain, and rightfully so, a joke to all pundits, and most people who follow college football.

They've been riding their name/brand and the bowl game committees still love them because of the revenue they bring to the bowl game. Unless ND starts winning some of these major bowl games, they are only there because they were very fortunate in the regular season (nothing wrong with that and most teams need a bit of luck and or escape a near upset), or because of name/brand. I'm sure the bowl selections committees hate having to put them in some of these games knowing full well what the outcome will be.

Sorry people, until the fanbase, alums, etc., demand more from this program and make the case for changes in order to put a quality product on the field that can and does legitimately compete with the likes Alabama, OSU, etc., nothing is going to change in South Bend. And no, I don't really want to hear about how they just took OSU to the wire... yada yada. Any team can play over their heads and have a great game plan for a single game. We see it every week.

Listen folks, until ND actually wins something meaningful, not just a National Title, but a major bowl game for goodness sakes, they will remain, and rightfully so, a joke to all pundits, and most people who follow college football.

They've been riding their name/brand and the bowl game committees still love them because of the revenue they bring to the bowl game. Unless ND starts winning some of these major bowl games, they are only there because they were very fortunate in the regular season (nothing wrong with that and most teams need a bit of luck and or escape a near upset), or because of name/brand. I'm sure the bowl selections committees hate having to put them in some of these games knowing full well what the outcome will be.

Sorry people, until the fanbase, alums, etc., demand more from this program and make the case for changes in order to put a quality product on the field that can and does legitimately compete with the likes Alabama, OSU, etc., nothing is going to change in South Bend. And no, I don't really want to hear about how they just took OSU to the wire... yada yada. Any team can play over their heads and have a great game plan for a single game. We see it every week.
Yawn.

Receiving corps needs to get healthy and execute. That is it. Everything else falls in place.
ND has good receivers. Some can get separation. The problem is that Parker is falling into the same schemes that Rees did. Tyree had a game where he caught a great pass and made yardage after the catch. QB never went to him the rest of the game. Faison gets open and scores TD. qb NEVER GOES TO HIM AGAIN. Pattern here? Parker's schemes need adjusted!!! They can't continually rely on Evans[and I'm a huge fan of his play]. D's will adjust. I've seen where Thomas and Greathouse and even Flores have gotten separation only to not get a target and the throw ends up to a sideline for 5-6 yd gain when ND could've had 25+ yds. Is that on QB or Parker's schemes. I'm going with the latter.

Reactions: theskibro

And on what basis are you able to evaluate each year’s roster ?

What are your football and evaluative credentials.

If you win every game during the season, HOW do you “luck into the playoffs” ?

Could it possibly be that you know nothing about football ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT