ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops: Good win for the Irish

MMcCormick

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2004
Thought it was the kind of tough win that a young team needs. Good confidence builder for a team that does not have much, and a really good defensive effort. This team does not find the open man very well, but it's getting better. My take on each player:

Hubb - Looked like the 50th best player in the country tonight. The threes were huge, and he created some shots for others which is something this team struggles to do. Clearly a starter at this point. He's been a defensive presence in every game.

Harvey - He's clearly struggling with rust and not having quite the bounce he used to. The missed layup followed by the missed dunk was rough. The missing bounce on the missed dunk was particularly notable. If he's healthy he'll be fine, but it's clearly going to take some time. Brey is frustrated with him forcing things.

Mooney - Another really strong game for Mooney. You get the feeling he's going to be good for a double double every night. I thought his defense was really good again tonight. He's much more mobile than Geben. The best part of his game though was his passing. He had three or four really good passes tonight finding open players. This team lacks guys who can find the open man and ability to move the ball is going to be important.

Pflueger - Probably Pflueger's best game which means he shot 2-6 instead of 1-6. He rebounded, played defense and passed the ball well though. He was a positive tonight.

Gibbs - Another really rough night for Gibbs at 2-8 shooting. His biggest issue is not his shooting it's the number of shots he takes that should be passes. He's a little selfish from my standpoint. In five games he's yet to make an assist on a pick and roll play. In fact, he has not made a pass to the center, and doesn't even look for it. The centers are going to get tired of rolling if he never feeds them. We had three easy hoops tonight on the pick and roll play, and they came from Pflueger, Goodwin, and Hubb. Gibb has to be more unselfish and find open teammates. You can't play point and just look for your shot.

Goodwin - He was huge tonight. A couple great passes. A couple great shots, a couple blocks, a couple clutch rebounds. He and Hubb are figuring our offense out pretty quickly. Wish he was shooting it better, but tonight was a big step forward. If he can start hitting some shots, he's going to be a great asset because he does everything else well.

Carmody - Carmody has been sloppy with the ball the last couple games and that seems to have moved Goodwin back in front of him.

Laz - He's our three guy and unfortunately he's shooting like a freshman right now. Still like the way he goes after offensive boards. He's sharing minutes with Harvey and neither of them could hit tonight. ND just needs one of them to.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News