ADVERTISEMENT

Hardcore ND basketball fans?

ranger13

Posts Like A Champion
Jul 7, 2007
Just interested in knowing who are the hardcore ND basketball fans are on the board. Those that grew up watching ND basketball religiously, and enjoy basketball as a sport. I was born and raised in Fort Wayne Indiana, and basketball has always been king here, although football was always not far behind. Especially ND football, and when I was growing up, it the Bears and ND here. My father was a ND football fan, Packer fan and an IU basketball fan, so I followed his love for the Pack and ND football, but not for IU basketball.

Exposed to ND football football and the campus at an early age, I just developed a love for their basketball team due to basketball being my favorite sport to play, although I played football and baseball as well growing up. AD and Shumate solidified my love for ND basketball and have been passionately about it ever since. I'm passionate in my following and it probably shows in my defense of it on this board in some of my posts. Growing up in the middle of Bobby Knight and IU crazed fans all of my life, I had to be defensive about ND basketball.

It seems that a lot of posters on here are not really basketball fans and only "follow" ND when it's tourney time or just nothing else on, and they seem to be the ones most negative about Brey and the team in the past too. My feelings are, if that's the case, then why bother following ND at all. For you guys, ND basketball will never gratify your needs, which are only deep runs in the BIg Dance consistently. They are not Duke, and probably never will be, for reasons that have been stated numerous times on this board. Those reasons are unlikely to change.

Why would ND invest a lot of resources into a sport that a majority of the fanbase only really follow ND basketball for two weeks out of the year? I believe if the fanbase were to become more passionately about basketball all year, them maybe ND would start to take the men's basketball program more serious and truly get behind it financially, as well as through marketing. How can you expect a recruit to be sold on ND basketball when the neither the fanbase nor the administration isn't? Thoughts?

Reactions: ClearTheWay
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News