ADVERTISEMENT

Hang A Banner!

Lou Somogyi

Senior Editor
Gold Member
Jun 4, 2004
For many years, I've been saying Mike Brey is too good a coach not to have at least one special run to the Elite 8, maybe even Final 4, in him. I thought he had two or three more Sweet 16s in him. However, it's quite evident this can be that kind of special year - especially with an ACC Championship tonight against North Carolina.

The first year Brey was here (2000-01), ND won the West Division of what was then two split divisions of the Big East (East and West). In the home finale against Georgetown, ND lost its second straight game but by then had already won the West. The trophy presentation was made right after the game on the court, despite the loss. Brey wanted it that way for the team to show it can win trophies and hang banners. It had been so, so long that ND had such impressive hardware

He's had many an outstanding team since - yet no prized banner or hardware really to validate it. It's sort of like the Lion needing that medal in the Wizard of Oz as a sign that his work paid off with the public homage.

I want this ACC title for Notre Dame, but I also want it for Mike Brey. The man has been a great ambassador for the school and typically overachieved. After 15 years of playing in the two best conferences in the land, he should have that banner hanging from the rafters in Purcell Pavilion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News