ADVERTISEMENT

Gotta get a pass rush to help the young secondary

Zorich 88

I've posted how many times?
Dec 7, 2006
I don't expect MSU to air it out Saturday night. They have a really good RB in Scott. However, they will test our young boy's with some deep balls. That being said, we better get a consistent pass rush. Send LB's on some blitz packages. MSU is not bringing in one of their most talented teams. Really average at best oline. Nothing special at qb. Nothing special at WR. Really good RB's.

Gotta send some blitz packages.

Blitz some LB's. Also send Daelin Hayes on a speed rush. If the coached don't feel Hayes has grasped the defense yet then send him in one direction, to the qb.

last sentence! do you have the DC on speed dial?

Pass rush and pass defense is a very precarious situation for ND this year. I thought ND would be okay with the back 7 players, but they've lost Watkins, Butler, Redfield, and Crawford in the past month. Tranquil scares the heck out of me, as does Coleman. They're just gonna have to play Love, Elliott, and Vaughn alot more and hope for the best. I posted before the season started that I didn't like our D-ends in terms of pass rush. Trumbetti has done nothing to show me he can be a pass rusher and Rochell, while he has played well against the run is playing out of place in my opinion. He's really more of a DT. And the backup ends Bonner and J. Hayes haven't shown any pass rush ability either. Like the secondary, I think ND just has to get D. Hayes and Kareem in the mix now, so they can get experience and be better prepared to be full time starters next year. What's even worse is that BVG blitzes don't work. For ND to truly to get pressure on the QB at times, they may have to just gamble and go with some overload blitzes.

Shakin...I agree with just about everything you said. Everyone knows we can't get to the QB with our front four, and my expectation was that BVG would have a variety of blitz packages that would be effective. just hard to see this possibility now with our depleted defensive backfield. Our best hope is for some of these young guys to get more game experience and prove they are too talented for spot duty. Big order but not unheard of.

MSUs play in the trenches is down big time from last year after losing several studs like Conklin, Allen, Calhoun and Thomas. Also booted starting DE and DT from team in off season. Line play is where we wont compete with the elite teams this year.

Shakin...I agree with just about everything you said. Everyone knows we can't get to the QB with our front four, and my expectation was that BVG would have a variety of blitz packages that would be effective. just hard to see this possibility now with our depleted defensive backfield. Our best hope is for some of these young guys to get more game experience and prove they are too talented for spot duty. Big order but not unheard of.

I've said this since BVG came on as coach but many people on here are so bent and delusional about our talent it is ridiculous to point it out. I mean we have had an amazing amount of injuries to go along with suspensions and transfers the past 3 years. When you add that to the lack of overall skill in the secondary and at pass rush I really can't understand what people expect? I said 2 weeks prior to the season starting we may need to score 30+ per game to win 10 and now that maybe 35 unless some kids have miraculous breakthroughs. I can see it happening more at defensive end so that would be great to see a pass rush to help the young secondary.

Reactions: VTND
I've said this since BVG came on as coach but many people on here are so bent and delusional about our talent it is ridiculous to point it out. I mean we have had an amazing amount of injuries to go along with suspensions and transfers the past 3 years. When you add that to the lack of overall skill in the secondary and at pass rush I really can't understand what people expect? I said 2 weeks prior to the season starting we may need to score 30+ per game to win 10 and now that maybe 35 unless some kids have miraculous breakthroughs. I can see it happening more at defensive end so that would be great to see a pass rush to help the young secondary.
Let the season play out and see how the defense does but as of now it's very concerning. 3 years into his tenure injuries and suspensions are an excuse and not a reason.

Blitz won't work, they haven't worked for 2 years now under BVG. They really need to get down to basics and simplify the defense. Play your S deeper, keep everything in front of you and tackle well.

Some on this board have made suggestions on how to improve the defense. Our front four players are serviceable but no real standout rushers . Our d- backs aren't very good .our overall speed isn't very good either . Kelly and Van Gorder probably hash out ways to improve the defense week after week . Do not have a Russell , Smith, Okwara, Shumate , Day on defense plus Stanley ,Elmer ,Martin on offensive line and this year we front line players(Crawford , Watkins , Butler ,Redfield, Hunter, Jones, Robinson etc ) lost to injury or dismissal . We lost a lot and we are not at the stage of restocking like an Alabamas ,Ohio State Florida State ,etc

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT