ADVERTISEMENT

Glad that Kelly is not making knee jerk decisions

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
and instead taking a step back and looking at things from a broader perspective. We don't want a coach with an itchy trigger finger. The defense has been terrible by any standards the last few seasons and nobody knows it more than Kelly. The only reason BVG still has a job at this point is because of all the personnel attrition over the last few years (academics, suspensions, injuries, etc.) that would derail ANY programs defense REGARDLESS of who was coaching it. Those excuses no longer carry any weight as most of the defense is fully intact in 2017 minus your average amount of roster regression.

If things don't change soon, take it to the bank that 1 of two things will happen: Kelly fires BVG or Kelly gets shit canned himself.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bodizephax
and instead taking a step back and looking at things from a broader perspective. We don't want a coach with an itchy trigger finger. The defense has been terrible by any standards the last few seasons and nobody knows it more than Kelly. The only reason BVG still has a job at this point is because of all the personnel defections over the last few years (academics, suspensions, injuries, etc.) that would derail ANY programs defense REGARDLESS of who was coaching it. Those excuses no longer carry any weight as most of the defense is fully intact in 2017 minus your average amount of roster regression.

If things don't change soon, take it to the bank that 1 of two things will happen: Kelly fires BVG or Kelly gets shit canned himself.

Why haven't one of you been able to explain the following rankings?

Notre Dame Final AP rankings

2010 NR
2011 NR
2012 4
2013 20
2014 NR
2015 11

MSU Final AP ranking

2010 14
2011 11
2012 NR
2013 3
2014 6
2015 6

Stanford Final AP rankings:

2010 4
2011 7
2012 7
2013 11
2014 NR
2015 3

Rivals recruiting rankings ND ’10-‘16

2010 ND 14
2011 ND 10
2012 ND 20
2013 ND 3
2014 ND 11
2015 ND 11
2016 ND 13

MSU Rivals recruiting rankings

2010 31
2011 32
2012 42
2013 47
2014 22
2015 22
2016 18

Rivals recruiting rankings Stanford ’10-‘15

2010 Stanford 26
2011 Stanford 22
2012 Stanford 5
2013 Stanford 63
2014 Stanford 14
2015 Stanford 18
2016 Stanford 19

msu had 3 major bowl appearances and won 2
Stanford had 5 major bowl appearances and won 3.

PS swarbrick is a lightweight and should have punted knuckle brain long ago....that's the guy you should be paying homage to for not having an "itchy trigger finger".....

kelly
stinks and so does bvg...

ND lost a lot of key player's on defense the last few years to both injuries (abnormal amount) AND behavioral/academic issues.

edit: Also, another thing to consider is that recruiting rankings can be a bit misleading. ND stockpiles certain position groups (offense) while taking a ton of misses defensively. A big part of this is the coaches fault and another issue that needs to be addressed.

Reactions: Bodizephax
ND lost a lot of key player's on defense the last few years to both injuries (abnormal amount) AND behavioral/academic issues.

edit: Also, another thing to consider is that recruiting rankings can be a bit misleading. ND stockpiles certain position groups (offense) while taking a ton of misses defensively. A big part of this is the coaches fault and another issue that needs to be addressed.

Thank you for the response.
Would you also consider that the coaching staffs at the other 2 schools are better?
In addition, would you also consider that the other 2 schools have established a fundamentally sound competitive identity across all 3 football disciplines? imo We obviously have not....
Lastly, under this regime our lack of academic and personal discipline off the field has been abysmal.

Call me old school, but when I saw a boatload of our players take the field versus Texas with their shirts hanging out I texted fellow alum that we're in huge trouble. We're undisciplined and sloppy.... We need to go full "spartan" on this team and take away all their Gug toys... back to basics...or this is going to be a long long year...

Every team has injuries. A couple of years ago MSU lost it's entire staring DL and most of their DBs but still had a great defense.

O$U won a NC with their 3rd string QB so I think we should be able to field a decent D regardless of injuries.

Would you also consider that the coaching staffs at the other 2 schools are better?
In addition, would you also consider that the other 2 schools have established a fundamentally sound competitive identity across all 3 football disciplines? imo We obviously have not....
Lastly, under this regime our lack of academic and personal discipline off the field has been abysmal.

Call me old school, but when I saw a boatload of our players take the field versus Texas with their shirts hanging out I texted fellow alum that we're in huge trouble. We're undisciplined and sloppy.... We need to go full "spartan" on this team and take away all their Gug toys... back to basics...or this is going to be a long long year...

What? Half of Lou's players played like that. Heck, Zorich didn't even have a jersey to tuck in.

What? Half of Lou's players played like that. Heck, Zorich didn't even have a jersey to tuck in.

His teams were disciplined. This one isn't.... Also, would you care to show some video that backs up your claim? I don't believe your account to be accurate. Yes, players jerseys may have come out during the course of a game. However, I don't believe the team ever came out looking this sloppy. Zorich and maybe a handful of others had "half" jerseys...

I tried to link us coming out vs. fsu #1 vs #2... however, youtube won't let me link it...Google youtube 1993 #1 Florida State at #2 Notre Dame 1 of 1 and watch the 17:57 mark.... )

Here's some ND um video from that era...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jf4oNez8olQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
His teams were disciplined. This one isn't.... Also, would you care to show some video that backs up your claim? I don't believe your account to be accurate. Yes, players jerseys may have come out during the course of a game. However, I don't believe the team ever came out looking this sloppy. Zorich and maybe a handful of others had "half" jerseys...

I tried to link us coming out vs. fsu #1 vs #2... however, youtube won't let me link it...Google youtube 1993 #1 Florida State at #2 Notre Dame 1 of 1 and watch the 17:57 mark.... )

Here's some ND um video from that era...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jf4oNez8olQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
First I am not comparing Kelly's teams to Lou's. Holtz' teams were tougher and more disciplined.

Second, I tried to copy a few pics here but is says uploads not allowed.. not sure why and honestly, I'm not going to spend a ton of time trying. Go watch so old games of find pics from that time guys had their shirts rolled up, half-shirts, not tucked, tucked. Either way I don't think it speaks to their discipline.

First I am not comparing Kelly's teams to Lou's. Holtz' teams were tougher and more disciplined.

Second, I tried to copy a few pics here but is says uploads not allowed.. not sure why and honestly, I'm not going to spend a ton of time trying. Go watch so old games of find pics from that time guys had their shirts rolled up, half-shirts, not tucked, tucked. Either way I don't think it speaks to their discipline.

No worries. I just don't recall ever seeing a Holtz or any other team for that matter come out of the tunnel looking like our's did vs. Texas... In game, yes, shirts for players came out....
PS I'm a stickler for this stuff as it's the attention to detail which is important. Bill Walsh to me, "I owned them from the minute their feet hit the floor coming out of bed." Wooden taught the team how to tie their shoes....

On a lighter note....
"USC Pre-Game Entrance Banned"

http://www.insidesocal.com/usc/2016/09/07/usc-pre-game-entrance-banned/

Reactions: IrishBlessings
Adding to the original post/topic: Bob Diaco's defenses at Cinci were terrible as well (they had very little talent on that side of the ball) ... BK stuck with Diaco, brought him to ND, and he eventually lead one of the best defenses in the country to a BCS national championship game and eventually won a Broyles award.

I don't really like BVG -- mostly because we get very little out of him from a recruiting standpoint -- but he's had terrible roster attrition luck during his ND tenure and Brian Kelly knows that. It definitely goes into the decision making process.

Last edited:
Adding to the original post/topic: Bob Diaco's defenses at Cinci were terrible as well (they had very little talent on that side of the ball) ... BK stuck with Diaco, brought him to ND, and he eventually lead one of the best defenses in the country to a BCS national championship game and eventually won a Broyles award.

I don't really like BVG -- mostly because we get very little out of him from a recruiting standpoint -- but he's had terrible roster attrition luck during his ND tenure and Brian Kelly knows that. It definitely goes into the decision making process.

Why are you avoiding these questions?

No we will just call you dumb. I could care less if the jersey's were tucked in or not. You are a boob.

13256253_1235543609791238_5113543591029803151_n.jpg

No we will just call you dumb. I could care less if the jersey's were tucked in or not. You are a boob.
Speaking of "boobs" ..... you know who needs a "training" bra.... perhaps a "bro"/"mansier".

Why haven't one of you been able to explain the following rankings?

Notre Dame Final AP rankings

2010 NR
2011 NR
2012 4
2013 20
2014 NR
2015 11

MSU Final AP ranking

2010 14
2011 11
2012 NR
2013 3
2014 6
2015 6

Stanford Final AP rankings:

2010 4
2011 7
2012 7
2013 11
2014 NR
2015 3

Rivals recruiting rankings ND ’10-‘16

2010 ND 14
2011 ND 10
2012 ND 20
2013 ND 3
2014 ND 11
2015 ND 11
2016 ND 13

MSU Rivals recruiting rankings

2010 31
2011 32
2012 42
2013 47
2014 22
2015 22
2016 18

Rivals recruiting rankings Stanford ’10-‘15

2010 Stanford 26
2011 Stanford 22
2012 Stanford 5
2013 Stanford 63
2014 Stanford 14
2015 Stanford 18
2016 Stanford 19

msu had 3 major bowl appearances and won 2
Stanford had 5 major bowl appearances and won 3.

PS swarbrick is a lightweight and should have punted knuckle brain long ago....that's the guy you should be paying homage to for not having an "itchy trigger finger".....

kelly
stinks and so does bvg...
Stanford plays a formidable schedule so I'll leave them be. However MSU!?!? How do you think they would do if they had to play decent teams like Texas, USC, Stanford, Clemson, etc in one season. They only have to beat Michigan and sometimes OSU. Even if they lose to OSU that's only one loss on their schedule. They are a fortunate team. Case in point the year they went to the Rose bowl, who beat them? That's right ND!

Reactions: Irishjohn68
and instead taking a step back and looking at things from a broader perspective. We don't want a coach with an itchy trigger finger. The defense has been terrible by any standards the last few seasons and nobody knows it more than Kelly. The only reason BVG still has a job at this point is because of all the personnel attrition over the last few years (academics, suspensions, injuries, etc.) that would derail ANY programs defense REGARDLESS of who was coaching it. Those excuses no longer carry any weight as most of the defense is fully intact in 2017 minus your average amount of roster regression.

Chaseball, I enjoy your posts. You are a great Irish fan who is not afraid to call it like you see it.

thread by a mod on TOS:

"Brian Kelly on Thursday clarified the roles of Notre Dame’s two quarterbacks."
an oxymoron?

after having totally confused the QB roles to the extent it was a major major contributor to the openning game loss to UT, we can now relax because BK has "clarified" ?

For those that understood and were certain of the QB roles we know have BK offering that he is 'clarifying' the situation (that he confused) so that we can be "clarified".

BK 'thinks' he lives in a world where only he 'thinks', so when the obvious occurs 'to him' he has to enlighten the masses. We needed to be "clarified".

where we were once 'obfuscatified', by virtue of the anointing by the great one we have been 'clarified'.

Hallelujah! can I have an amen!

Last edited:
all I am certain of is when you have to constantly explain failure or a lack of success in attaining a goal then you simply do not have the capability to understand your failures.

Reactions: Java65
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT