ADVERTISEMENT

Getting thinner at RB???

It’s a sprain toe & he is practicing this week.

Can play if they need him, but o would guess they rest him.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Doesn’t seem serious. Probably going to see a lot of Cbo and I guess they moved avery Davis back to HB.

He played through a broken wrist in camp. He'll be fine. Sit him this week if Jones, Kyren and C'Bo can handle friggen Mexico and he'll be fine for Georgia.

losing team should have to build ‘The Wall’.

It’s New Mexico. Run C Bo and Williams all afternoon. The focus should be: fresh and healthy for Athens.

Reactions: napy2121
It should be all 3 RBs getting carries in the first half with TJ starting out getting the most, then Cbo and Kyren should get all the 2nd half carries and possibly a few for Avery.

Ian Book is going to start rushing 15+ times a game. Hopefully all that weight he gained in the off-season will keep him healthy. We're going to need it.

"It’s New Mexico. Run C Bo and Williams all afternoon. The focus should be: fresh and healthy for Athens."

Remember you are dealing with 2 meatheads in Kelly and Long. Not only did they botch the RB recruiting but they will over use T Jones against hapless New Mexico because they have a combined IQ of 6 when it comes to strategy despite what Colin Blowhard thinks.

Is Kyren just not college ready? He strikes me as being the only back healthy on the roster with the ability to create chunk plays.

Why isn’t he in line for 10+ touches in this situation?

Why do freshman have to do so much to get on the field here but play right away at places better?

"It’s New Mexico. Run C Bo and Williams all afternoon. The focus should be: fresh and healthy for Athens."

Remember you are dealing with 2 meatheads in Kelly and Long. Not only did they botch the RB recruiting but they will over use T Jones against hapless New Mexico because they have a combined IQ of 6 when it comes to strategy despite what Colin Blowhard thinks.

You are too stupid to even laugh at.

Seriously. How does it feel to sit on a free message board & talk trash to coaches who literally make millions of dollars while you work fast food?

Is Kyren just not college ready? He strikes me as being the only back healthy on the roster with the ability to create chunk plays.

Why do freshman have to do so much to get on the field here but play right away at places better?

Do you see his snaps in the first game & what happened?

Those other places have far more talented freshman in a lot of cases. When you step onto campus as a top 25/top 50/top 100 (5 star/high 4 star player) you usually are far more prepared/ready to make an impact.

Kyren Williams is a composite low 4 star (down in the 300s) and unfortunately the most talented healthy RB on the roster at the moment.

Do you see his snaps in the first game & what happened?

He got his number called once and dropped a swing pass then got buried somewhere on the bench.

Why such a short leash? Far from the worst mistake I saw out there.

Those other places have far more talented freshman in a lot of cases. When you step onto the field as a top 25/top 50/etc. type of player in your class you usually are far more prepared/ready to make an impact.

Kyren Williams is a composite low 4 star.

What exactly is ahead of him on the depth chart?

A converted 3* receiver
A converted 3* dual threat an
A 3* composite power back
A couple other just guys likely no higher than 3*.

It’s not like they have layers of top 100 type players that the freshman are jumping like at the schools you suggest.

The running back position is a train wreck if you are going simply by recruiting service rankings.

Of the group Kyren has the only film that looks to be promising.

stupid to even laugh at.

Seriously. How does it feel to sit on a free message board & talk trash to coaches who literally make millions of dollars while you work at fast food./QUOTE

Yeah but when we run low on ground beef I push the chicken sandwich!

What exactly is ahead of him on the depth chart?

A converted 3* receiver
A converted 3* dual threat an
A 3* composite power back
A couple other just guys likely no higher than 3*.

It’s not like they have layers of top 100 type players that the freshman are jumping like at the schools you suggest.

The running back position is a train wreck if you are going simply by recruiting service rankings.

Of the group Kyren has the only film that looks to be promising.
Those other guys are upperclassmen who've been in a college weight room and have flashed some big time ability despite not having the pedigree out of HS (e.g. in jafar armstrong's case). Tony Jones Jr. is basically a 3-4 year experienced/physically matured kyren Williams at this point.

I agree with the general sentiment you are making .. but it's pretty rare for low 4 star player to make much of an impact as a true freshmen at this level (high P5) regardless of how dire/thin the position group might be.

I don't think ND is going to have any choice but to start going to Williams often/heavy though if this Jahmir Smith injury is legit.

Last edited:
Those other guys are upperclassmen who've been in a college weight room and have flashed some big time ability despite not having the pedigree out of HS (e.g. in jafar armstrong's case).

I agree with the general sentiment you are making .. but it's pretty rare for low 4 star player to make much of an impact as a true freshmen at this level (high P5) regardless of how dire/thin the position group might be.

I would agree at most other positions however running back is a bit different. You either have it or don’t at that position.

Kyren also was early enrollment so he does have the weight training either way.

It’s pretty clear what all the other guys have and don’t and it’s not promising.

I would agree at most other positions however running back is a bit different. You either have it or don’t at that position.

Kyren also was early enrollment so he does have the weight training either way.

It’s pretty clear what all the other guys have and don’t and it’s not promising.

I didn't know Kyren was an EE that definitely helps some. And I agree that at RB some guys can adapt really quickly to the next level. And I also agree the upside at the position given the misses on the recruiting trail is pretty limited.

I think Kyren will be a big part of the gameplan next week whether he's ready to be or not .. ND/Kelly has no choice given the injuries.

This is all on Kelly. They have minimal depth at key positions. As it looks now their best back ( who I like ) would be 3rd or 4th string on any of the top 6 teams. ND is not in good shape at the moment. You need to recruit at a high level year after year in order to compete with the top schools. I don’t want to be a complainer. I love ND as much as anyone. I always think they can win. However, after watching the first two weekends of games, it is obvious that they simply do not have the athletes that a lot of these schools have. SC will be tough as well as Michigan. Going to Athens to play Georgia will be extremely challenging. Coming out with a victory will nothing short of a miracle. I am simply verbalizing what I have seen. 11 and 1 will be miraculous. 10 and 2 would be outstanding. 9 and 3 would be acceptable. I think 8 and 4 is going to be reality. I hope and pray I am dead wrong. I’ll take any rant or negative comment anyone wants to say. Again, I am giving my own honest assessment of what I have seen. Right now, the Irish talent is not on par with the top teams in the country.

Reactions: chitown sot
He played through a broken wrist in camp. He'll be fine. Sit him this week if Jones, Kyren and C'Bo can handle friggen Mexico and he'll be fine for Georgia.

Agree with sitting him, no sense in aggravating an injury on a less than demanding game where ND is a 37.5 point favorite.

In NDs case, for all we know, Kyren has been terrible in camp (this is no attack on Kyren most players don't ever make the 2 deep/start at this level regardless of how highly they were ranked out of HS).
We do know - Kyren had a good camp. The reporters and analysts who saw practices said so. The coaches said so. He made a freshman mistake and dropped an easy pass so BK pulled him at RB the rest of the game to make a point. I believe he played on ST the rest of the way so I don't think he was benched completely. Kyren should be fine moving forward, especially against NM.

I wonder if Avery will get any quality carries this Saturday? From what I heard, he's the fastest RB currently available. I'd like to see what he can do in open space.

We do know - Kyren had a good camp. The reporters and analysts who saw practices said so. The coaches said so. He made a freshman mistake and dropped an easy pass so BK pulled him at RB the rest of the game to make a point. I believe he played on ST the rest of the way so I don't think he was benched completely. Kyren should be fine moving forward, especially against NM.
I deleted that post because I felt it was going to take things off topic, but your response touches on a topic i'd like to respond to.

I personally put a lot of weight on a player getting praise in camp when the player has no path to playing time way more than I do when the position gets thin and suddenly the coaching staff/ND media is hyping up the best available player(s) left on the depth chart. Kyle Hamilton is a great example of hype that I would buy given how good/healthy the starters are at that position.

I know this sounds conspiratorial as hell but at ND you CONSTANTLY have to read between the lines when it comes to information coaches/nd insiders share with the public. The program tries to manipulate the message for some kind of competitive advantage and the media here are really bias homers in a lot of cases.

Last edited:
I deleted that post because I felt it was going to take things off topic, but your response touches on a topic i'd like to respond to.

I personally put a lot of weight on a player getting praise in camp when the player has no path to playing time way more than I do when the position gets thin and suddenly the coaching staff/ND media is hyping up the best available player(s) left on the depth chart. Kyle Hamilton is a great example of hype that I would buy given how good/healthy the starters are at that position.

I know this sounds conspiratorial as hell but at ND you CONSTANTLY have to read between the lines when it comes to information coaches/nd insiders share with the public. The program tries to manipulate the message for some kind of competitive advantage and the media here are really bias homers in a lot of cases.
OK, well then I don't know what to tell you. Kyren got a lot of reps in the spring and fall. If he looked bad people would have noticed and said something. Instead, they have said the opposite. They aren't all as lockstep as you are claiming. In fact, just about 2 weeks ago you commented on how 247 put out a video where they said the O-line was bad, Jafar was disappointing and Book was mediocre all camp. They really weren't pumping sunshine at all, yet any time Kyren was mentioned in previous podcasts they said he was looking good. Not lights out like Hamilton but having a good camp nonetheless.

If you haven't already done so you should check out Kyren's HS film. He looks a lot better than a low 4-star recruit

OK, well then I don't know what to tell you. Kyren got a lot of reps in the spring and fall. If he looked bad people would have noticed and said something. Instead, they have said the opposite. They aren't all as lockstep as you are claiming. In fact, just about 2 weeks ago you commented on how 247 put out a video where they said the O-line was bad, Jafar was disappointing and Book was mediocre all camp. They really weren't pumping sunshine at all, yet any time Kyren was mentioned in previous podcasts they said he was looking good. Not lights out like Hamilton but having a good camp nonetheless.

If you haven't already done so you should check out Kyren's HS film. He looks a lot better than a low 4-star recruit
I don't really disagree with much here and you are right the issue with the message from the Notre Dame insiders and such is probably a lot more nuanced than I'm giving it credit for.

I don't doubt that Williams might of flash some nice things in camp but had he done anything of any real tangible consequence or demonstrated that he could be a player of impact right away we would have saw it in how the reps were divvied up in week 1 especially after jafar Armstrongs injury. He also would have been higher than 4th on the depth chart heading into the season especially at such a limited position group.

Last edited:
I wonder if Avery will get any quality carries this Saturday? From what I heard, he's the fastest RB currently available. I'd like to see what he can do in open space.
From what I understand Notre Dame does an NFL combine type exercise every offseason to see how all the players stack up athleticly. and A Davis is supposedly one of the best athletes in the program which is why Brian Kelly seems desperate to try to find a way to get him on the field.
hopefully Avery Davis can earn some live reps and add a much-needed big-play dimension to the offense

Last edited:
I don't really disagree with much here and you are right the issue with the message from the Notre Dame insiders and such is probably a lot more nuanced than I'm giving it credit for.

I don't doubt that Williams might of flash some nice things in camp but had he done anything of any real tangible consequence or demonstrated that he could be a player of impact right away we would have saw it in how the reps were divvied up in week 1 especially after jafar Armstrongs injury. He also would have been higher than 4th on the depth chart heading into the season especially at such a limited position group.
You were the only one mentioning "player of impact", not me. Look back at what I was originally responding to. You said, "for all we know, Kyren has been terrible in camp." I said we do know and he has been good based on all of the reports coming out of spring and fall.

Can he be a player of impact as a freshman? I think so once he settles down, but BK has a history of bringing along freshmen skill players slowly unless they are forced into action which appears to be the situation we are in now. I think it's worth mentioning that, before the 2 RB injuries, BK didn't think we were thin at RB. Chris Tyree will almost certainly be the only RB they take this recruiting cycle, so it looks like he is happy with the current depth at the position.

You were the only one mentioning "player of impact", not me. Look back at what I was originally responding to. You said, "for all we know, Kyren has been terrible in camp." I said we do know and he has been good based on all of the reports coming out of spring and fall.

Can he be a player of impact as a freshman? I think so once he settles down, but BK has a history of bringing along freshmen skill players slowly unless they are forced into action which appears to be the situation we are in now. I think it's worth mentioning that, before the 2 RB injuries, BK didn't think we were thin at RB. Chris Tyree will almost certainly be the only RB they take this recruiting cycle, so it looks like he is happy with the current depth at the position.

I don't think Kyren Williams was terrible in camp I was saying that hypothetically to make a point in the context of that post. This is a minor point though so I'll just leave it there.

As far as running back when I say the position is thin I'm not just referring to the position lacking warm healthy bodies I'm referring to the lack of talent and potential at the position right now as well. Unfortunately Notre Dame has accepted commitments from so many average rated prospects there--who are all still really young--that they have no choice but to make the best of the situation.

This doesn't mean I think all of these guys are going to be terrible or that none of them can't supersede their prospect profile it just means that none of them really have much pedigree as prospects and based on the odds they are not likely to make much of an impact.

When Tyree steps on campus next year he will be the lone exception.

Last edited:
talking RB’s

checkout the Cal vs Washington game. Cals RBs run low hard and determined! Only 2 RBs played, but hard runners, made you pay for tackling them.

"Not only did they botch the RB recruiting but they will over use T Jones against hapless New Mexico because they have a combined IQ of 6 when it comes to strategy"

And of course -- your IQ is better than 7???

Reactions: hoopsstar12

"he's the fastest RB currently available"

He may be the fastest, but can he "run like RB"? To get to the open space, he must get through the line --

The modern spread requires a RB to not just be a great runner but a great pass blocker. The RB is the last line of defense between a successful big play and the QB getting killed by a blitzing LBer. It is very possible that a frosh who is a great athlete is sitting on the bench can’t read or initiate a block. That is why Tru Wilson(walkon) is higher on the depth chart then Christian Turner despite the later being one of these acclaimed athletes. My guess is that BK is watching what happens in practice.

"he's the fastest RB currently available"

He may be the fastest, but can he "run like RB"? To get to the open space, he must get through the line --
That's the million dollar question. I have zero inside knowledge of what BK has up his sleeve, but, maybe Avery gets some important carries against NM. Just to give the staff a sample of what might be. I don't know. I'm thinking that our offense cannot plug away, inch by inch, the whole game vs Georgia and be successful. Somewhere, a speed guy has to have a say in that offense. Don't know how. Don't know who.

That's the million dollar question. I have zero inside knowledge of what BK has up his sleeve, but, maybe Avery gets some important carries against NM. Just to give the staff a sample of what might be. I don't know. I'm thinking that our offense cannot plug away, inch by inch, the whole game vs Georgia and be successful. Somewhere, a speed guy has to have a say in that offense. Don't know how. Don't know who.
I almost hope they did this, not only for depth and speed, but for a trick play vs UGA. I don’t think they’d know or care this guy was a former qb and it’s behoove ND to run this guy vs NM on a few plays then get him a toss on a trick play vs UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT