ADVERTISEMENT

Friday's NBPA Camp updates...

Jacey Zembal

Jun 15, 2007
Three of the main guys I watched Friday at the NBPA Camp at the University of Virginia included Notre Dame targets senior power forward Javin DeLaurier of Charlottesville (Va.) St. Anne's-Belfield, junior small forward D.J. Harvey of famed DeMatha Catholic in Hyattsville, Md., and Highland (Utah) Lone Peak senior combo guard Frank Jackson.

The Blazers were missing senior center Marques Bolden, so DeLaurier shared some of the center duties with senior Khedim Gueye. True centers sometimes bother DeLaurier inside, and he's a year of S&C training from becoming an ACC caliber power forward. His motor was impressive and he battled his way for eight points and 10 boards. He went 3 of 4 from the field and 2 of 5 at the free-throw. Expect Notre Dame to battle Texas, Florida, North Carolina, Miami, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech, among others. Assistant coach Anthony Solomon has done a superb job on recruiting DeLaurier, who went for 14 points and six boards in the evening session — a 90-67 loss.

Jackson plays with DeLaurier and went 6 of 16 from the field and 1 of 4 on three-pointers for 15 points. I'm not sure he can play point guard, but I would need to see more. He is however a smart offensive player and knows how to get his shot off, whether in transition, curls or running off screens. I don't think you'd classify him as an exciting athlete, but he's sharp and athletic enough on his drives into the paint. He had 15 points in the nightcap.

Harvey was active but finished 3 of 12 from the field for six points and two boards in a 62-44 loss to the Bulls in the morning session. I sometimes don't mind a player having that kind of game because I know he was getting good looks and I liked his energy a lot. He tried to make it happen, but it wasn't his game for it to go in. Over time, he'll get the percentages. I'll be curious to see how his recruitment goes. Has the same vibe as V.J. King's, who is his Team Takeover teammate and just picked Louisville. That doesn't mean Harvey will also pick UL (who is in the mix), but I sense the same type of schools are recruiting Harvey that recruited King. Harvey had 12 points and went 6 of 12 in the evening session.

In the morning game, the Hawks trio of Notre Dame targets or lone commit Temple Gibbs of West Orange (N.J.) Seton Hall Prep, won 70-68 against Clippers. Then they won another close game 78-76 over the Bulls in the evening session.

Gibbs is really establishing himself as a consistent force and had 19 points on 6 of 9 shooting, 2 of 2 on three-pointers and 5 of 5 from the line in the morning game. He added four rebounds, three steals and an assist. Gibbs then had a camp-best 22 points and went 10 of 16 from the field. To put this in perspective, he's only scored more than 17 points in a Nike EYBL game just once (25 points) for the Playaz Basketball Club this spring.

Senior center James Banks of Stockbridge (Ga.) Mt. Vernon Christian, had six points, six blocks and two blocks in the morning. He had his best game of the camp with 10 points, seven rebound and three blocks in the evening session.

South Jordan (Utah) Bingham power forward Yoeli Childs had four points and three bounds, but went 1 of 6 from the field. He went 3 of 6 for six points and two boards in the evening.

Junior point guard Alex Barcello of Tempe (Ariz.) Corona del Sol, had nine points on 3 of 7 three-point shooting and four assists in his morning game. That seems to be the most aggressive he's been this camp.

Miami Norland High senior center Duwan Huell has listed Notre Dame in the past, but he just picked up an offer from North Carolina, and made it clear that Miami, FSU and Florida, are targeting him. He was active when I watched and had 14 points and 12 rebounds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News