ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman treading a dangerous path

I believe in Freeman and love the way he interacts with his staff and players. He motivates and speaks like an ND coach should. It’s only going to help bring in talent, and if he can surround himself with the correct staff, we will be more than ok.

My only issue with Freeman lately was listening to the video after Sam picked up that 4th and 16. Parker asked Freeman if they should keep attacking or “just run it.”
Freeman said just run it. Which made it sound like he was content with a long field goal try. Thank Christ Estime broke it for the score.

I mean, if Estime got stuffed, and we bled the clock to kick a late FG and missed, this board would be on fire haha.

That’s why “ifs” don’t matter. Onto Louisville.

Reactions: tbone3114
I believe in Freeman and love the way he interacts with his staff and players. He motivates and speaks like an ND coach should. It’s only going to help bring in talent, and if he can surround himself with the correct staff, we will be more than ok.

My only issue with Freeman lately was listening to the video after Sam picked up that 4th and 16. Parker asked Freeman if they should keep attacking or “just run it.”
Freeman said just run it. Which made it sound like he was content with a long field goal try. Thank Christ Estime broke it for the score.

I mean, if Estime got stuffed, and we bled the clock to kick a late FG and missed, this board would be on fire haha.

That’s why “ifs” don’t matter. Onto Louisville.
Given the WR play that night, I have zero issue with what Freeman said. Hell, on fourth and 16, Sam Hartman had to run for a first down.

So again. Zero issue.

Not on the level of defeating Caleb Williams and USC. Not even close.
I completely disagree. Clemson was a signature Victory. I would not be surprised if USC has 3 to 4 losses this year. Heck, a win at Clemson this year maybe as impressive as a win over USC at home

I agree with 3-4 losses; it will be interesting what will USC/CLR do as the pressure mounts to revamp the Defensive coaching staff, starting with the DC! Here they go again!

I love Marcus Freeman. I want him to be over the top successful.

That acknowledged, recent comments and actions are very concerning and I hope he gets his —- together

1- 10 on field vs Tennessee State & OSU
2- prevent defense vs. OSU. Allows no pressure on McCord and a 3rd and 19 conversion to the one yard line
3- Duke offensive game plan terrible
4- Comment about Estime winning td - he should have gone down at one yard line. WTF?
5- Comment about mindset one last drive vs Duke —. “We wanted to run Estime and get in middle of field for a field goal attempt
WTF? Our kicker is someone I would never trust and to have the game swing on his leg versus trying to score?

I want Freeman to step back and get his — together. Fast. This is a recent pattern that speaks to the job being too big for him. I think that’s true to some extent. But he has to stop learning basic stuff on the job and stop saying stupid stuff at his pressers.
And will these soft ball throwing media types ask some questions that need to be asked?

My thoughts:
1- that is the defensive coordinator/positions coach responsibly thou the HC takes the fall
2- the offensive series by the Irish prior did more harm, but either way those are the position coaches responsibilities BUT that was the defensive coordinators call
3- missing most of the wr core and a first yr offensive coordinator is probably the reason for that
4- I'm sure if Freeman knew Estime was going to get to the one yard line he would of told him to stop there in the huddle
5- that was the plan till Estime broke the run

Reactions: Kelso86
I completely disagree. Clemson was a signature Victory. I would not be surprised if USC has 3 to 4 losses this year. Heck, a win at Clemson this year maybe as impressive as a win over USC at home
Dude, this ain't Clemson of 2018 or 2019. Them days are long gone.

......long gone.....
I think that's a bit premature
Compared to losing one total game combined in 2018 and 2019, and winning a title in the 2018 season, the Clemson football program isn't near what it was 4-5 seasons ago, and hasn't been since the 2021 season after Trevor Lawrence left.

Last edited:
Given the WR play that night, I have zero issue with what Freeman said. Hell, on fourth and 16, Sam Hartman had to run for a first down.

So again. Zero issue.
I agree with you on this. Many, many coaches would have run a couple of plays to try to get 5, 6 yards closer for a field goal try and force their opponent to use their timeouts.

What I disagreed with was Freeman's suggestion at his post-game press conference that Estime should have taken a knee at the one.

I agree with you on this. Many, many coaches would have run a couple of plays to try to get 5, 6 yards closer for a field goal try and force their opponent to use their timeouts.

What I disagreed with was Freeman's suggestion at his post-game press conference that Estime should have taken a knee at the one.
Last sentence, we agree. Between that comment by Coach Freeman and 10 on the field against Ohio St after a called timeout....for the 2 most crucial plays in the game, you scratch your head a bit.

That acknowledged, recent comments and actions are very concerning and I hope he gets his —- together

2- prevent defense vs. OSU. Allows no pressure on McCord and a 3rd and 19 conversion to the one yard line
4- Comment about Estime winning td - he should have gone down at one yard line. WTF?
5- Comment about mindset one last drive vs Duke —. “We wanted to run Estime and get in middle of field for a field goal attempt
WTF? Our kicker is someone I would never trust and to have the game swing on his leg versus trying to score?

I want Freeman to step back and get his — together. Fast. This is a recent pattern that speaks to the job being too big for him. I think that’s true to some extent. But he has to stop learning basic stuff on the job and stop saying stupid stuff at his pressers.
And will these soft ball throwing media types ask some questions that need to be asked?
Agree in the main with your comments, but there's no way he can "stop learning basic stuff on the job." Zero options other than NOT LEARNING AT ALL. Which is exactly the problem with a second year coach.

I neither love the guy nor hate him, but he's -- at least, SO FAR -- exceeded my expectations. That said, I still don't see anything more than an AVERAGE COACHING IQ at work and -- AS YOU'VE HIGHLIGHTED -- there have been LAPSES from THAT LEVEL as well.

And, yes, it's CONCERNING.

Particularly when you consider it's still EXTREMELY EARLY DAYS.

Graybeards here may remember Gerry Faust's second year at the 6-1-1 point of the season, probably the summit of his ND career, having just knocked off #1 Pitt 31-16 in old Pitt Stadium, always a tough place for ND to play.

ND then proceeded to lose its FINAL THREE GAMES.

Let's see where ND is -- RECORD WISE -- by the time it takes on Pitt THIS YEAR.

That 1982 game -- including ALLEN PINKETT'S RUN -- that made folks mistake Faust for Ara:

Notre Dame-Pitt 1982

Compared to losing one total game combined in 2018 and 2019, and winning a title in the 2018 season, the Clemson football program isn't near what it was 4-5 seasons ago, and hasn't been since the 2021 season after Trevor Lawrence left.
They might be down but i wouldn't count them out

I am not interested in sparring the merits of Marcus Freeman. I will criticize when need be, and I have; however, starting threads taking shots at the Notre Dame Head Football Coach ain't my bag.
Nevertheless, there's no need to be snide.

And who made you King...have you ever coached? He is right regarding Estime going down and the issues you cite are on Asst. coaches! MF has addressed those and seriously, do you think BK would recruit like MF does in the NIL era...how is BK doing in the LSU recruit rich SEC...last I checked he has two losses YTD in his dream job???

This is nonsense. MF has addressed a lot of the issues ND had with portal and NIL restrictions and is recruiting much better than BK ever did just look at the wide receiver room compared to what BK had. Yes, he has made his mistakes along the way, but I believe those days are gone. Parker better improve over the few games or there is a good chance ND finds a new OC. ND’s schedule next year only has two mine field games next year in FSU who loses a lot of talent and A&M at their place, but they have a lot internal issues. ND will add another game next year, hopefully, it will be somebody from the BIG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT