ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman treading a dangerous path

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
I love Marcus Freeman. I want him to be over the top successful.

That acknowledged, recent comments and actions are very concerning and I hope he gets his —- together

1- 10 on field vs Tennessee State & OSU
2- prevent defense vs. OSU. Allows no pressure on McCord and a 3rd and 19 conversion to the one yard line
3- Duke offensive game plan terrible
4- Comment about Estime winning td - he should have gone down at one yard line. WTF?
5- Comment about mindset one last drive vs Duke —. “We wanted to run Estime and get in middle of field for a field goal attempt
WTF? Our kicker is someone I would never trust and to have the game swing on his leg versus trying to score?

I want Freeman to step back and get his — together. Fast. This is a recent pattern that speaks to the job being too big for him. I think that’s true to some extent. But he has to stop learning basic stuff on the job and stop saying stupid stuff at his pressers.
And will these soft ball throwing media types ask some questions that need to be asked?

That acknowledged, recent comments and actions are very concerning and I hope he gets his —- together

2- prevent defense vs. OSU. Allows no pressure on McCord and a 3rd and 19 conversion to the one yard line
4- Comment about Estime winning td - he should have gone down at one yard line. WTF?
5- Comment about mindset one last drive vs Duke —. “We wanted to run Estime and get in middle of field for a field goal attempt
WTF? Our kicker is someone I would never trust and to have the game swing on his leg versus trying to score?

I want Freeman to step back and get his — together. Fast. This is a recent pattern that speaks to the job being too big for him. I think that’s true to some extent. But he has to stop learning basic stuff on the job and stop saying stupid stuff at his pressers.
And will these soft ball throwing media types ask some questions that need to be asked?
He does need to develop some savvy

Oh boy

Reactions: Kelso86

Spot on. inexperienced coach. Anyone with half a brain realized there’d be growing pains. There are a lot of folks with less than half a brain. I don’t give two shits about liking Freeman. I don’t like Trump either but at least he could run a country. Win games and coach, likable or not I don’t give a damn.

Spot on. inexperienced coach. Anyone with half a brain realized there’d be growing pains. There are a lot of folks with less than half a brain. I don’t give two shits about liking Freeman. I don’t like Trump either but at least he could run a country. Win games and coach, likable or not I don’t give a damn.
That he shouldn't comment on individual play calls? Most of that list is just hindsight.

You need to apply to be a head coach in major CFB since you have everything figured out.

Same here. Go be a head coach in CFB.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
I appreciate the compliment. Thanks. I like my day job though.
Seriously dude, go make 5-10 million per year and be a CFB head coach on Notre Dame's level.

You certainly have tons of answers.

You need to apply to be a head coach in major CFB since you have everything figured out.
Can’t do that. I’m just an old retired guy who loves ND posting on an opinion board and hoping for some intelligent banter. I am not looking for the anticipated snide remark I knew would be coming from you. If there’s something you don’t agree with or have a constructive comment, join in. You’re becoming too predictable and not adding value. Kind of like a Twinkie instead of a salad

Can’t do that. I’m just an old retired guy who loves ND posting on an opinion board and hoping for some intelligent banter. I am not looking for the anticipated snide remark I knew would be coming from you. If there’s something you don’t agree with or have a constructive comment, join in. You’re becoming too predictable and not adding value. Kind of like a Twinkie instead of a salad
I am not interested in sparring the merits of Marcus Freeman. I will criticize when need be, and I have; however, starting threads taking shots at the Notre Dame Head Football Coach ain't my bag.

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish

Will ND ever be a team that imposes its will on other teams... I sure hope so! I really like MF as well.. love the direction and recruiting that's happening..

That's a matter of taste.

Reactions: theskibro

This is said by so many fans in all sports.

The reality is:

1) Sure, a coach will manage an entire program and game WAY better than any of us.

2) However, fans can and often do point some nuances out where coaches make mistakes.

Consider chess. A grandmaster obviously runs the entire game better than observers...but observers in real time have posted moves that could have forced a checkmate sequence that the grandmaster misses.

BTW: I don't agree with the OP that Freeman is playing a dangerous game.

Actually, he's trending well all in all. Emphatically won the easy games. Should have beat Ohio State. Grinded out a trap game win vs a pretty good and motivated Duke.

He can clean up some details. I don't read too much in some of his musings, some which might be impulsive. I read more into the said general trending.

Finally, the margins are thin. Had ND lost to Duke, I probably would be doubtful about Freeman. But here I am now...seeing the glass as half full, expecting Freeman to evolve just in time and run the table.

Hope never dies when you're an Irish fan.

:)

Mama mia! Now I forever have to doubt your judgement of operational excellence!

:D

BTW: being likable is a major factor in leadership effectiveness. Terms like diplomacy exist for a reason. Suffice it to say, Freeman inspires to get that extra grit that CBK didn't in key games...and will probably prove a better recruiter because of this.

CBK and Trump in their own ways give up a lot because of they for whatever reason refuse to be likable. I'll give that CBK has operational excellence...but let's not go down this rabbit hole, be it politics, or CBK.

;)

I am not interested in sparring the merits of Marcus Freeman. I will criticize when need be, and I have; however, starting threads taking shots at the Notre Dame Head Football Coach ain't my bag.
If you can show anyone on this board that my post takes a shot at Marcus Freeman, then you are a magician.
I clearly said he is treading a dangerous path. I clearly said I love the guy and want him to succeed. I supported my dangerous path headline with facts. So where am I taking a shot at Freeman?
You go ahead and roll over and pretend Freeman has not made mistakes lately. You do that.

"I don’t like Trump either but at least he could run a country"

Well, we can see you intellect at work

If you can show anyone on this board that my post takes a shot at Marcus Freeman, then you are a magician.
I clearly said he is treading a dangerous path. I clearly said I love the guy and want him to succeed. I supported my dangerous path headline with facts. So where am I taking a shot at Freeman?
You go ahead and roll over and pretend Freeman has not made mistakes lately. You do that.
I absolutely think Freeman was the right hire & probably one of his biggest supporters on the board, but he is not above critism & think yours are valid. I didnt like his answer that he wanted Estime to fall on the 1 instead of scoring.
1. I just dont think you ever take sure points off the board when you are trailing with 30 seconds to go & besides Schader has been terrible this year & alot can go wrong when the ultimate pressure is on the line.
2. I'm ok with the growing pains of a young coach. Freeman's upside in recruiting & representing the ND brand has been a homerun. With the way the transfer portal & NIL is evening the playing field I think ND's chances have gone way up to win a title.

Again, not interested discussing whatever "stupid stuff...." that you see regarding at Marcus Freeman.

We know. You’re an LSU and USC fan. Someday hopefully you’ll choose between them.

I absolutely think Freeman was the right hire & probably one of his biggest supporters on the board, but he is not above critism & think yours are valid. I didnt like his answer that he wanted Estime to fall on the 1 instead of scoring.
1. I just dont think you ever take sure points off the board when you are trailing with 30 seconds to go & besides Schader has been terrible this year & alot can go wrong when the ultimate pressure is on the line.
2. I'm ok with the growing pains of a young coach. Freeman's upside in recruiting & representing the ND brand has been a homerun. With the way the transfer portal & NIL is evening the playing field I think ND's chances have gone way up to win a title.
Well said. Growing pains. We’ve seen a bunch from okla state. Marshall. Stanford. Etc. But I’ll take it. I like him a lot

Reactions: NDinNJ
Well said. Growing pains. We’ve seen a bunch from okla state. Marshall. Stanford. Etc. But I’ll take it. I like him a lot
Last 13 games 11-2 with 4 top 20 wins. Only losses to 10-1 USC (at time) & OSU.
I think ND offense is in a catch 22 right now with regards to opening up the playbook. I think the middle of the oline has been weaker than they thought coming into the season & hasnt progressed as they hope. I think they would like to throw more but WR's arent beating one on one coverage. Freeman has settled on letting the defense win games & has kept the offense in ground & pound mode.

Needs a signature win. There isn't one after 20 games. The USC game is huge for Marcus Freeman. There is no other game on the schedule that comes close for national respect than a win over Caleb Williams and USC.

Last edited:
Needs a signature win. There isn't one after 20 games. The USC game is huge for Marcus Freeman. There is no other game on the schedule that comes close for national respect than a win over Caleb Williams and USC.
True. But Clemson, South Carolina and now Duke are solid if not signature wins Usc would be huge and Clemson is improving and hopefully gets ranked and we beat them

At the time, Clemson was a signature win.

They were ranked 4th. We havent had many of those in the last 20 years

At the time, Clemson was a signature win.

They were ranked 4th. We havent had many of those in the last 20 years
Not on the level of defeating Caleb Williams and USC. Not even close.

True. But Clemson, South Carolina and now Duke are solid if not signature wins Usc would be huge and Clemson is improving and hopefully gets ranked and we beat them
You can't be serious mentioning Duke and South Carolina as signature wins. Heck, even Clemson is a shadow of their former self of 2018 and 2019.

• Haha
At the time they would be ranked higher than Caleb Williams and USC and also have been much better than USC.

REVISIONIST HISTORY
Ranked? Rankings, other than the CFB playoff rankings, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Simply click bait.

There is no bigger game for Notre Dame in 2023 than USC. None.

Ranked? Rankings, other than the CFB playoff rankings, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. Simply click bait.

There is no bigger game for Notre Dame in 2023 than USC. None.
Ohio state was bigger. But you said MF didn't have a signature win. Clemson was 4th last year. That was a signature win

Clemson was 4th in the CFP rankings when we played them. So according to you, that means something

Not on the level of defeating Caleb Williams and USC. Not even close.
Clemson controlled their own destiny to the playoff. The cacti would have still made the playoff had South Carolina got all of a suddenly red hot.

Skibro is a great guy! ya gotta luv him! (I never like to disagree with something you post)

Freeman is fine and I believe has a bright future ahead of him. Its the program I've been worried about.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT