ADVERTISEMENT

Freeman and Parker (A bit theoretical)

JHS61

All Star
Jan 1, 2022
Freeman selected Parker as his new OC. Parker had a great interview. Let's think about that.

Parker has known Freeman a long time and participated in the interview process enough to go to a hockey game with Freeman and a top candidate. I think it is fair to assume that Parker knew pretty well what Freeman was looking for. That, logically speaking (inference), is what Parker delivered.

The intererview was the interview, out there between Parker and Freeman. The Great Interview occurred in Freeman's head and heart. Parker just gave it his best shot. Freeman interpreted and felt it as great. No one, TMK, has claimed that Parker was brilliant or innovative or forced Freeman to think about something he had never thought before. Rather, it is fair to assume, Parker said things Freeman already knew and was looking for.

Now consider the OC from Kansas State, Collin Klien. He and Freeman, TMK, had not met before the interview. It seems fair to ask why Freeman interviewed Klien. He only had one year of experience as an OC, maybe the Covid year plus two, but I could only find evidence of one. Certainly there were more qualified candidates than Klien. Still, setting aside his lack of OC experience, he was a KSU QB and QB coach under Bill Snyder before becoming the KSU OC. He had considerable offensive knowledge and experience in the BIG 12. Freeman is a defensive coach from the Big 10. His mentor is Jim Tressel, a fine coach who was old school even in 2010, his last year coaching.

So why didn't Freeman interview more candidates with more experienc? What an opportunity to learn from some great sources about offensive football!

The interview with Klien seems to have gone badly for both. Klein knows way more about offensive football than Freeman could have learned in a year. Maybe more important, he did not know what Freeman knew and was looking for. He probably talked to Freeman as he would Bill Snyder and Chris Klieman two coaches he worked under with vast HC experience and success. There were times that Freeman probably did not know what he was talking about and probably did not know how to think like Klien was thinking. And being young and inexperienced, he probably did not have the confidence and curiosity to say, "That's all new to me. Tell me more about, but start from the beginning.

Now consider his confidence and curiosity when interviewing DC candidates. He landed Al Golden and they had long, deep conversations about defense. And Freeman was willing and able to learn from Golden who started the conversation with a story about talking with his wife about how much he admired Freeman.

I'm afraid Freeman hired an OC who made him comfortable, not an OC he needed. Parker is on a steep learning curve with little time to climb it. From the end of Spring ball to early summer is a huge opportunity for him to work with his staff and to reach out to the best O minds he knows. After that, he needs some time to process what he has gathered, then start building his plan for the '23 season with his staff. Realistically, he needs at least two years. That's the choice Freeman made.

Reactions: ScrapOD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News