ADVERTISEMENT

First visit to South Bend

Nov 15, 2004
I'll be making my first trip to South Bend when my Wolfpack come to play on Oct 28th. I'm stoked because seeing a game at Notre Dame stadium is a bucket list item for me. Grew up a big fan of the Irish idolizing Michael Stonebreaker and Chris Zorich.

Would appreciate a little help in where to stay, places to go for the real Notre Dame experience. Thanks in advance!

I'll be making my first trip to South Bend when my Wolfpack come to play on Oct 28th. I'm stoked because seeing a game at Notre Dame stadium is a bucket list item for me. Grew up a big fan of the Irish idolizing Michael Stonebreaker and Chris Zorich.

Would appreciate a little help in where to stay, places to go for the real Notre Dame experience. Thanks in advance!

Please don't bring the rain with you. I'm still drying out from last year's game in Raleigh.

Reactions: NDSMC78 and Kelso86
Haha...yeah...that hurricane sucked. It's too bad the game wasn't postponed or something. Looking forward to some real football weather for the next matchup!

Where to stay.....if your wallet will allow it stay as close to Campus as possible in South/Bend or Mishawaka. If you want something a little more reasonable but not too bad of a drive try Elkhart or LaPorte going the other way. There is also a decent Holiday Inn Express in Niles Michigan.

I suggest arriving as early on Friday as possible to view the Campus when it is less busy. Take in a volleyball or hockey game that night if they are in town. Trumpets Under the Dome on Friday night or game day, visit the Grotto, Basilica, take a tour of the performing arts centre etc.

There are lots of chain restaurants around....if you like College dive bars check out the Linebacker Friday night...The Mark at Eddy Street Commons is good and for a nice Irish pub check out Fiddler's Hearth in downtown South Bend. There is also of course pizza at Rocco's and many other places.

The key is to walk around campus.....lots of friendly people, visit the book store Friday....it is less busy if you can...or Sunday before you leave.

Enjoy!

Where to stay.....if your wallet will allow it stay as close to Campus as possible in South/Bend or Mishawaka. If you want something a little more reasonable but not too bad of a drive try Elkhart or LaPorte going the other way. There is also a decent Holiday Inn Express in Niles Michigan.

I suggest arriving as early on Friday as possible to view the Campus when it is less busy. Take in a volleyball or hockey game that night if they are in town. Trumpets Under the Dome on Friday night or game day, visit the Grotto, Basilica, take a tour of the performing arts centre etc.

There are lots of chain restaurants around....if you like College dive bars check out the Linebacker Friday night...The Mark at Eddy Street Commons is good and for a nice Irish pub check out Fiddler's Hearth in downtown South Bend. There is also of course pizza at Rocco's and many other places.

The key is to walk around campus.....lots of friendly people, visit the book store Friday....it is less busy if you can...or Sunday before you leave.

Enjoy!

Good stuff!

Get a room EARLY, motels in South Bend fill up fast.

During our daughter's freshman year at ND, for our first game we had to stay in Elkhart. Not bad really, but we wanted to be closer. From then on, once we knew which games we'd get tickets to, we immediately booked a room. Motels in the South Bend area really jack up the prices during home game weekends ... so if you don't mind the prices, fine. Otherwise look into Elkhart or some towns about 20-25 miles from SB.

Welcome to God's home!

Welcome to God's home!

And as a four-time visitor from Florida State, let me suggest......go to the ND Glee Club's Friday night performance at a central campus auditorium .......visit the Linebacker Lounge Friday night.....visit the Grotto....have gameday breakfast in the student dining hall between two dorms ( I believe it is called South Hall)....it looks like Harry Potter's Hall ....be at the Library steps on gameday to hear the Band of the Fighting Irish with their pregame performance......walk around campus on Saturday ....and enjoy one of America's best college atmospheres......and cheer for your Wolfpack, but be respectful of where you are and the Notre Dame fans. You will be at a special place. Seminolesam.

My first memory of the ND experience was 1959 though evidence shows I was there as a toddler earlier than that. I remember my Dad virtually parking darn near the stadium. That Crackerjack box sized bookstore was shoulder to shoulder on game day and seemed like it was a 100 degrees in that place. My Dad bought me a felt ND pennant which is now framed and hanging in my grandson's room. I remember lines to get in. There wasn't the library, Gug, or the Joyce, but the grotto, basilica, and The Dome were attractions. Back then, going on the field after the game to take pictures was no big deal and taking photo ops and having players sign was very easy if you waited long enough after the game by the main gate. My favorite pictures my Dad took of me were with Alan Page, John Huarte, and Monty Stickles. My, the times have changed, but all these years and I still get overcome with emotion every time I step on campus. Everyone, be safe and enjoy the ND experience.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT