ADVERTISEMENT

Final thoughts on Freeman

MikeGoolsby

Shakes Down The Thunder
Staff
Apr 13, 2020
He’s a former 5 star type recruit…and semi-recently too. He understands what these kids feel and think.

Hes played at a modern day elite program in OSU. Had to of gleaned quite a bit while there.

He’s African American. I hate to even mention this but it matters. There’s still lots of chatter about the lack of head jobs for minorities. Kudos to Swarbrick for giving him this opportunity. An opportunity that based on player support, he’s EARNED.

He’s an ex NFL player turned coach. Understands the draft process. Freeman should be able to convince Foskey to come back for another year and maybe some other borderline kids. Hamilton should leave and so should Kyren. I wouldn’t rule out Hamilton staying…but if he’s gonna be a top 10 pick, he should go. Something tells me Freeman established more than a few connections to folks at the the NFL level while there which only helps our kids get drafted. Which feeds into…

He’s a hell of a recruiter. Selling” a program can carry a negative connotation. I truly believe that in Freeman’s case, he’s believes in what he’s selling. I think he believes in what ND stands for and can do for the young men he’s pursuing.

Personally, I believe ND can win a natty within the next 1-2 years. I say this based off of some the elite talent he’s bringing in. Forget the star rankings. I’ve seen the film on these kids and they have the length, movement skills, motor, body types. He knows what types of players that translate to success in modern day football. We need a few more corner and an elite WR. Well get

He’s an authentic person, natural leader, good sense of humor. Handsome guy. If you’ve been around him, he’s magnetic. look at Kelly’s staff. The ones that matter stayed. How rare is that in today’s CFB climate?!

The level of support he’s received from future, current and format players is incredibly unique.

First time I met him was in Chicago, I lived there and he was with the Bears. He was the most humble and unassuming professional athlete I ever met.

Because of his recruiting prowess, we all tend to forget how great of a DC he is. He’s elite in that regard (as long as he stays away from that 3 man front lol). He’s completely on par w from Clemson. Venables strikes me as a mad scientist, oddball. Watch a Clemson game. He’s uncomfortable to watch. I highly doubt he has the charisma to recruit the way Freeman does. Look at what Freeman’s done this year. Plug Kollie, Sneed and the like into his scheme and holy sh*t.

His youth and relatability, ironically, are my two main concerns. He’s so young and so relatable that he’ll have to be very conscious of how his team sees him. He doesn’t want to be seen as one of them. Players will inevitably want to see him through that lense. Freeman will have to monitor that. He’s the HC, not their peer.

We’ll certainly have some bumps in the road as the group figures things out. But talent wins and I do believe Kelly built a strong culture that should carry on and carry ND through any rough patches they may incur. Look at this season! All the setbacks and we just kept winning. In one of Lou Holtz’s books he discusses how teams win championships, the evolution. One of those steps is “learning how to win” we’ve

I know we’re all biased, but he has to be the hottest young coaching commodity at the moment. If not he’s top 3.

Letd enjoy the rest of the season, win our last game. If we don’t make the playoff, so be it. I’d be entirely okay w that. We’re still climbing…

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News