ADVERTISEMENT

Everyone calling for Parker’s head

clover3ND

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 9, 2008
But who do you replace him with? Serious question. What established offensive coordinator is realistically going to come to South Bend? Or is it worth weathering the storm with Parker and giving him a second year?

I ask this question in ignorance because I really don’t follow college football (or NFL for that matter) enough to know every offensive coordinator from every team.

What I can say is, I believe getting an established offensive minded coach (possibly one with previous head coaching experience; similar to Golden) would make a stark difference in Freeman’s projection as a coach and on the field performance from this (and future) team. Defensively, ND is solid for the most part. May not be the ‘84 bears, but they aren’t going to cost you many games. They can use some upgrades here and there (DL recruiting/development), but the glaring issue for this team is on the other side of the ball. How Freeman goes about fixing that will determine how long he stays in South Bend.

And for the sake of god, can this staff please teach fundamentals (tackling would be a nice start) and preach discipline. That’s cost ND over and over this year.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
The OC from UCF, Toledo, or Washington State would do better with this team than Parker right now. Just my two cents…

Reactions: bullpride9
If Parker keeps this up this year, he will be demoted or gone.

We probably will see Golden leave too.

I’d get the best OC, DC and S&C guys we can find. Let the OC & DC pick their staff

Reactions: Tru2Irish
I'm pretty sure we could get a first-rate OC if we set our mind to it. There'd be no reason to keep him, nor was there ever any reason to be reduced to hiring him....

Reactions: bullpride9
Joe Rudolph called plays for Wisconsin and was actually pretty good from 2015-22. His offense was very run heavy but atleast it had a identity Parker has no identity.

Joe Rudolph called plays for Wisconsin and was actually pretty good from 2015-22. His offense was very run heavy but atleast it had a identity Parker has no identity.
Yeah, I noticed that when Freeman first hired Rudolph and contributed some of the early success in the run game to him. However, not sure he would be a long term solution at Notre Dame. They (ND) have 3 previous coordinators on the staff right now (Gino, Parker, and Rudolph), but I'm not sure why they are struggling so much. I've seen a lot of people blame the struggles on the WR room, but to me that is dismissive and lacks depth of thought towards the problem. Really wish they would hire an offensive minded ex-head coach even if it was just in the "offensive analyst" capacity. Heck, Alabama has 6+ ex-head coaches on their staff at any given year!

If Parker keeps this up this year, he will be demoted or gone.

We probably will see Golden leave too.

I’d get the best OC, DC and S&C guys we can find. Let the OC & DC pick their staff

Whoever coaches the defense next year is going to have a huge rebuilding project.

• Wow
Reactions: tbonesays
The OC from UCF, Toledo, or Washington State would do better with this team than Parker right now. Just my two cents…
UCF OC is Gus Malzahn. Doubt he leaves. Arbuckle at WSU could be a guy. He is formerly from Western KY so he comes from explosive football. Toledo is the HC as well.

Whoever coaches the defense next year is going to have a huge rebuilding project.
Somehow I think Jim Leonhard is the DC if Golden leaves. I am not trying to eject Golden. But I've always felt his time at ND was to then either be a HC again. Or to be a coordinator in the NFL.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Did Wiscy ever identify the line to gain in the one game we played?
Parker is using dice to call them. Tommy gave them to him.
Parker doesn't know it but Tommy loaded the dice so it always lands on hand off to the A gap.

I still maintain that turnovers and penalties were the biggest culprit. We went -4 in turnovers. Add in going for it on 4th and 11 and missing, which was like another turnover, and it's almost like -5. In the NFL, teams that are -4 or worse in turnovers win 3% of the time.

You can't do that against a good team and expect to win.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I still maintain that turnovers and penalties were the biggest culprit. We went -4 in turnovers. Add in going for it on 4th and 11 and missing, which was like another turnover, and it's almost like -5. In the NFL, teams that are -4 or worse in turnovers win 3% of the time.

When Parker was promoted, everyone including Swarbrick said “how bad can he be?”
Now we know.
Swarbrick has no fall back to his erroneous mistakes. If you pick a new guy to be head coach you do so because you like his strengths but you have to help the guy with his obvious weaknesses - game management

When Parker was promoted, everyone including Swarbrick said “how bad can he be?”
Now we know.
Swarbrick has no fall back to his erroneous mistakes. If you pick a new guy to be head coach you do so because you like his strengths but you have to help the guy with his obvious weaknesses - game management
Parker isn't nearly as bad as what you are saying.

I've read the same regarding Tommy Rees from many here in this Forum, that Tommy Rees is average and overrated.

A bunch of bullshit.

• Haha
Reactions: TPirish
ND’s offense is unwatchable three straight weeks. 13.5 points a game outside of one run from Estime. Estime would be wise to go pro now. He’s a sure fire 3rd round pick.

Now we know.
But the fact is, we moved the ball some through the air, and we could've won the game if we'd just taken care of the ball better. It wouldn't have been a blowout, but it could've been a win.

The team only had 2 turnovers in the first 6 games, but 5 in that game. That was huge.

Parker isn't nearly as bad as what you are saying.

I've read the same regarding Tommy Rees from many here in this Forum, that Tommy Rees is average and overrated.

A bunch of bullshit.
Not making third down conversions Enough said

UCF OC is Gus Malzahn. Doubt he leaves. Arbuckle at WSU could be a guy. He is formerly from Western KY so he comes from explosive football. Toledo is the HC as well.
Was thinking Mike Hallett from Toledo. Co-OC and has Oline experience.

Big time

ND’s offense is unwatchable three straight weeks. 13.5 points a game outside of one run from Estime. Estime would be wise to go pro now. He’s a sure fire 3rd round pick.
Not after his tentativeness the past 2 games …

Charlie Weis Jr. Schematic Advantage!!! 😜
Only a Weis gene pool delivers a decidedly schematic advantage. I do have to say Weis teams perfected the screen pass. Over used the throw out to a receiver at the Los and he had an answer for Jon tenutas famous Georgia tech pass rush. He would have best Louisville’s box stuff

Reactions: NDinNJ
Only a Weis gene pool delivers a decidedly schematic advantage. I do have to say Weis teams perfected the screen pass. Over used the throw out to a receiver at the Los and he had an answer for Jon tenutas famous Georgia tech pass rush. He would have best Louisville’s box stuff

The offenses the past decade have been vanilla and predictable to say the least. Even though Weis wasn't the guy I miss the Weis offense. Too bad he couldn't get the D shored up.

Reactions: theskibro
But who do you replace him with? Serious question. What established offensive coordinator is realistically going to come to South Bend? Or is it worth weathering the storm with Parker and giving him a second year?

I ask this question in ignorance because I really don’t follow college football (or NFL for that matter) enough to know every offensive coordinator from every team.

What I can say is, I believe getting an established offensive minded coach (possibly one with previous head coaching experience; similar to Golden) would make a stark difference in Freeman’s projection as a coach and on the field performance from this (and future) team. Defensively, ND is solid for the most part. May not be the ‘84 bears, but they aren’t going to cost you many games. They can use some upgrades here and there (DL recruiting/development), but the glaring issue for this team is on the other side of the ball. How Freeman goes about fixing that will determine how long he stays in South Bend.

And for the sake of god, can this staff please teach fundamentals (tackling would be a nice start) and preach discipline. That’s cost ND over and over this year.
Charlie "schematic advantage" Weis Jr.

Playing a limping Estime was just another mistake on last week's list.

I posted this once before...during the game. When Hartman was lined up in the gun with a gimping Estime beside him....ND needed three yards for a first down. Hartman handed him the ball and he was stuffed behind the line of scrimmage (needing to run 8 yards to gain 3). That was Parker's handiwork. There are bad calls...then there are bad calls. This one is the latter...and tells me what I need to know about Parker.

That’s why this was our year. Lots of 5th, Gr, maybe a couple 6th yr guys on current roster. With covid providing the additional year I can’t keep track of who has another year of eligibility but hard to believe all of these guys come back for yr 6. Of course with the portal holes can be filled pretty quickly

It's been said he has already been telling people he is leaving

Ok I've had some time to think about the last two games offensive play calling. I am just going to go with the belief that ND was not showing everything and was just trying to get by, leading up to the game this week. That is what I choose to believe and no one will change my mind.

Have a great day everyone. It's Saturday Eve.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT