ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN Scouts Inc. drafts a top 20 from ND/Clemson

ryno1134

I've posted how many times?
Dec 6, 2006
No. 1 pick: Muench takes Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
i

The Fighting Irish's leading tackler from a year ago, Smith is a game-changer with a rare blend of speed, power, football smarts and motor. While he's at his best chasing and making plays in pursuit, he also flashes the ability to jar and shed blockers when teams run at him. His ability to makes life difficult for quarterback stands out on tape, and Clemson's Deshaun Watson had better not lose track of him. Smith's 4.5 career sacks may not wow many people, but he's a far more effective pass rusher than the numbers suggest and that's whether he's rushing off the edge or between the tackles. Finally, he's capable of stalking and limiting the impact the athletic Watson makes as a runner in this game.

No. 2 pick: Weidl takes Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson
i

We are doing backflips in our war room after getting the top guy on our board with the second pick. No other position has more of an impact, and Watson is the better of the two on the field Saturday night. Admittedly, he didn't have his best showing at Louisville, including throwing two of his three interceptions on the year. However, the 6-foot-2, 210-pound sophomore shows quality poise in the pocket and flashes good accuracy and touch at all three levels as a passer. Watson is also a dynamic athlete who can apply stress on a defense with his legs, which will come in handy against the Fighting Irish's heavy blitz tendencies on defense.

No. 3 pick: Muench takes Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
i

As talented as Watson is, we weren't comfortable taking a player that hasn't reached his admittedly substantial potential this early, just because he plays quarterback. Instead, we're excited to land Fuller third overall. He's scored at least once in each of his first four games and he comes into this contest averaging over 110 receiving yards per game. His ability to get open quickly and turn quick-hitters into long gains should continue to prove invaluable for redshirt freshman QB DeShone Kizer against a dynamic Clemson pass defense that gets after the quarterback. Plus, there isn't one player's number that I'd call over Fuller's when the offense needs a big play or the game is on the line.

No 4. pick: Weidl takes Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
i

Stanley's talent is too much to pass on here. He possesses prototypical measureables, and his strong combination of power, balance and agility makes him one of the best offensive tackles in the country. RB C.J. Prosise and his big-play ability was in consideration here after averaging 150 yards rushing per game. However, Prosise's production along with QB DeShone Kizor's success wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for a Notre Dame offensive line that is anchored by Stanley and doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves on the national stage.

No. 5 pick: Muench takes Sheldon Day, DL, Notre Dame
i

There was no way Stanley was getting out of the top five -- I would have taken him here. Day isn't a bad consolation prize, though. The two-time team captain is a versatile player who lines up on the inside, where his quickness gives interior offensive linemen problems, and the outside, where his power gives offensive tackles problems. While he's not an overly explosive edge rusher, he has two sacks and has consistently hurried quarterbacks thanks to his violent hands and unrelenting effort. He'll line up opposite true freshman left offensive tackle Mitch Hyatt at times, and I fully expect him to exploit any breakdowns in Hyatt's technique.

No. 6 pick: Weidl takes C.J. Prosise, RB, Notre Dame
i

Grabbing Prosise at this point is an absolute steal. The former defensive back-turned-wide receiver-turned-running back has been a catalyst for the Irish offense since filling in for the injured Tarean Folston. Prosise is a still a bit raw in terms of utilizing blocks but at 220 pounds he has natural power with an excellent combination of lateral quickness and acceleration. Clemson's run defense has been solid to start the year, allowing just under 115 yards per game. However, the Tigers have yet to face this caliber of an offensive line combined with a big-play runner like Prosise, who has track-star speed to make the defense pay for a missed assignment or tackle.

No. 7 pick: Muench takes Nick Martin, center, Notre Dame
i

Don't love the previous pick, Kevin. Prosise is a home run hitter, for sure, and I see him getting more decisive as he gains experience. But he takes too long to diagnose at this point, and like a lot of home run hitters, he's prone to striking out. In other words, his offensive line has played a disproportionate role in his early success, which is why we're ecstatic to land the senior captain, third-year starter and younger brother of Cowboys standout Zack Martin at the No. 7 spot. Though not as physically imposing as his brother, the 6-foot-4, 297-pound Martin is a grinder who seals off assignments as a run blocker and anchors well in pass protection. With Death Valley rocking and rolling on Saturday night, he should have a much-needed calming influence on his young quarterback going up against an aggressive Clemson defensive front.

No. 8 pick: Weidl takes Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
i

I was nervous Alexander wouldn't be here when I passed on him at No. 6, but my board continues to fall in place. Alexander hasn't had much production early on, but he hasn't been challenged a lot and when watching tape, his talent is undeniable. He has silky-smooth movement skills, with excellent top-end speed. Notre Dame CB KeiVarae Russell is comparable, talent-wise. However, Alexander will play a bigger role on Saturday as he will likely be matched up with Will Fuller for most of the game, where he will give Fuller by far his stiffest challenge all year.

No. 9 pick: Muench takes Ben Boulware, LB, Clemson
i

The bad news is, we had targeted Alexander at this pick. The good news is, we are confident in our board. There are bigger names out there but this isn't about playing it safe. Boulware is the definition of a downhill run stuffer beating blockers one-on-one and limiting production after contact as a tackler. Kizer can't lose track of him when he drops back to pass, either. Boulware has three career interceptions including a tipped pass he turned into a 47-yard pick-six against Oklahoma in the bowl game last year. Finally, don't be fooled by the one career sack. He has great timing and a terrific feel for where seams will open up in the protection, which is why he leads the Tigers in quarterback hurries.

No. 10 pick: Weidl takes Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
i

I'll take the Tigers' most productive player along their front seven here. Lawson is off to a fast start in his first year as a full-time starter, which has helped ease the pain of losing a lot of production from last year's defensive line. He leads the team in both tackles for loss (5) and sacks (2.5). In addition, at 270 pounds, he flashes explosive power and strong point-of-attack skills against the run, which will help counter against a physical Notre Dame offensive line.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News