ADVERTISEMENT

early thoughts on Clemson game

NDCap

Irish Expert
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2015
Here is what I feel good about

1- The OLINE
2- Wimbush is legit and got his feet wet.
3- Procise ability to get to the endzone is becoming common practice.
4- The Punter is good and the CJ sanders is good as well. He can scare you though.
5- Williams is terrific.

Here are my concerns:
No pass rush vs. UMASS. This might kill us. Even when we blitz . Nothing.
Secondary play. Luke and Russell seem slow. Farley is slow and Shumate has never been good in coverage. This combo of a non existant pass rush and a questionable secondary is a problem.
Who emerges at the WR position. Fuller vs Alexander . Who is stepping up Saturday night?

My major worry is the tendency of our defense to give up big plays. Our offense will hold their own but the D must step up.

Clemson going to pass often than rush. ND going to be big problems come up this Sat because of ND have been troubles with secondary. Last 4 games ND still have problems with secondary area. Missing the tackles. Like what USC have been pass often than rush. I think ND will lost to Clemson and USC.

That Clemson D Line is elite. And I know your OLine is as well. But we feel just as good about our D. The Dline and secondary are our strengths. We finished #1 in total D last year. We are currently 11th on D after benching our starters for the second half in the first 2 games. So it is a top 10 unit with secondary and Dline being the strengths. Interested to see what Fuller does against Mack Alexander. Should be a great ball game.

I am loving the offense this year...it is everything I wished we had in previous years. We are pounding teams on the ground while mixing in deep shots to Fuller. This o-line is dynamite, and Prosise has been a revelation. We're going to run the ball effectively on anybody we play, Clemson included. Probably not 400 yards, but I bet we get at least 175 rushing yards on Saturday. Kizer will be the key, becuase he's got to throw the ball effectivey enough to keep Clemson honest. I'm betting they put their top corner on Fuller and expect him to hold up on his own without help, so we'll see how that works out.

The defense still makes me nervous with their penchant for giving up big plays. It seems that our d-backs are not good about staying disciplined...we've been beaten two weeks in a row on reverse passes. Don't think Clemson hasn't noticed that. We're pretty good against the run, other than that weird 80 yard draw that UMass had (the coaches said we misaligned on that play), but we still seem susceptible to a good passing attack. Our safeties are probably the weak link on the entire team right now...Redfield doesn't seem to make plays and Shumate is just okay in coverage.

I see a game with both teams in the 20s. Hope we're on the right side of that!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT