ADVERTISEMENT

Drayk Bowen is Irish ☘

Welcome aboard young man, great things happening for ND moving forward

Welcome aboard young man. The 4 for 40 and it is time to talk to other recruites. This has to be the biggest linebacker recruitment cycle ever.https://www.si.com/college/notredame/recruiting/notre-dame-football-class-impact-drayk-bowen-commits-to-nd

I have been reading that he is an inside guy. He loves contact (6'2 220). Has length and superior athleticism. I watched some film of him. I thought of a bigger Tom Zibikowski while I watched it.

Reactions: savvyandsassier
I have been reading that he is an inside guy. He loves contact (6'2 220). Has length and superior athleticism. I watched some film of him. I thought of a bigger Tom Zibikowski while I watched it.
Is there any chance he ends up at Safety?

The d recruiting is great, offense leaves a lot to be desired.

I think he ends up at Will.

Think of the role we expected Marist to play this year and what JD B is trying to play this year. JD was good earlier this year but is struggling vs teams that pass the ball. You see he's always a step or two late.

He could really play any of the 3 LB spots. You really hope to get styles and have him become the most amazing rover you can imagine but Sneed could be in that as well.

We're recruiting LB amazing and Niuafe is really the only true MLB.

Next year you hope the LBs are Marist, JD, Kollie and Sneed getting some burn. JD moving to middle for Drew White.

in 2 years you got kollie, sneed, niuafe, burnham, drayk, (hopefully styles).

Marcus Freeman needs to get those LB pieces to play his 3-3-5, and Marcus Freeman needs to stay another year, to prove that the only thing holding him back on D this year, was having the right pieces in place.

ND to WIN a National Championship, not get to the CFP, will be getting multiple NFL high-round picks in the back 4. We have seen what elite DB play from Julian Love and Kyle Hamilton can provide. We also saw what happened when Love got hurt vs Clemson in the 2018 CFP Cotton Bowl. And 9-3 game late in the 2nd Quarter turned into 23-3 in a blink of an eye

Last edited:
Marcus Freeman needs to get those LB pieces to play his 3-3-5, and Marcus Freeman needs to stay another year, to prove that the only thing holding him back on D this year, was having the right pieces in place.

ND to WIN a National Championship, not get to the CFP, will be getting multiple NFL high-round picks in the back 4. We have seen what elite DB play from Julian Love and Kyle Hamilton can provide. We also saw what happened when Love got hurt vs Clemson in the 2018 CFP Cotton Bowl. And 9-3 game late in the 2nd Quarter turned into 23-3 in a blink of an eye
The dline getting gashed in our 3 down prevent D has nothing to do with players at Dline or LB. Maybe if he has better players he doesn't run it, but then he shouldn't now because it doesn't work.

Agree on secondary. Next year looks bad if young players don't grow.

The dline getting gashed in our 3 down prevent D has nothing to do with players at Dline or LB. Maybe if he has better players he doesn't run it, but then he shouldn't now because it doesn't work.

Agree on secondary. Next year looks bad if young players don't grow.
He ran the 3 down about 30% of the time at Cincinnati and this point was raised after his hire, and Kelly addressed that we are mostly a 4 down line, but that the 3 would be part of our defensive schemes. It’s not been a good look for us because our best pass defense has been pressure on the QB from our 4 down linemen. I continue to believe that we don’t have the right skill sets, especially the defensive backs, to play his defense, and the recruiting success he’s having on defense will change this.

He ran the 3 down about 30% of the time at Cincinnati and this point was raised after his hire, and Kelly addressed that we are mostly a 4 down line, but that the 3 would be part of our defensive schemes. It’s not been a good look for us because our best pass defense has been pressure on the QB from our 4 down linemen. I continue to believe that we don’t have the right skill sets, especially the defensive backs, to play his defense, and the recruiting success he’s having on defense will change this.
There's 2 kinds of 3 down that freeman runs (there's more but high level speaking). One has partial success, the other has NO success.

He runs a 3-3-5 to some success in any situation - Issue here is we aren't deep or athletic now at LB and our secondary is average. So we don't get as fast a rush and our lbs are typically late. Occasionally our dline whips someone and blows up the play, or hart/hamilton cover someone well. This is intended to take away some quick passing game, but hasn't done great against the run.

He also run a 3-1-7 prevent D that has no success and gets gashed on the run and pass. I don't get this D at all unless it is a 1 Million % pass only situation and they need to push the ball downfield. We have DEs, LBs in coverage because our secondary is weak. There's no way the 3-1-7 prevent is going to stop the run with 2 free guards attacking the one free LB. In this D our ends rush up field making the holes even bigger.

Reactions: Kontiki09

I don't think MF will get a head coaching job before next season. I certainly hope he's not just a one and done. That would be really disappointing. He should not just take a small head coaching gig. Stay a few years at ND, do a good job, and get a legit 1A job like Clark did. We sometimes have coaches leave for 1AA jobs, and it usually doesn't work out well for them. I would like to think MF has higher hopes than that.

There's 2 kinds of 3 down that freeman runs (there's more but high level speaking). One has partial success, the other has NO success.

He runs a 3-3-5 to some success in any situation - Issue here is we aren't deep or athletic now at LB and our secondary is average. So we don't get as fast a rush and our lbs are typically late. Occasionally our dline whips someone and blows up the play, or hart/hamilton cover someone well. This is intended to take away some quick passing game, but hasn't done great against the run.

He also run a 3-1-7 prevent D that has no success and gets gashed on the run and pass. I don't get this D at all unless it is a 1 Million % pass only situation and they need to push the ball downfield. We have DEs, LBs in coverage because our secondary is weak. There's no way the 3-1-7 prevent is going to stop the run with 2 free guards attacking the one free LB. In this D our ends rush up field making the holes even bigger.
Yes, I get the distinction and agree regarding the 3-1-7 prevent. I read where We were in a 3 down lineman front something like 27% against UNC and roughly the same against USC. But the figure doesn’t distinguished between the two. I thought we ran the 3-3-5 scheme for the most part against UNC, except for the end of the game drive. But your comments about the 3-1-7 are Consistent with my view that we don’t have the right personnel for Freeman’s scheme…primarily we are overall very weak in our defensive backs defending the pass, and clearly don’t have the personnel for the man coverage he schemes.

Yes, I get the distinction and agree regarding the 3-1-7 prevent. I read where We were in a 3 down lineman front something like 27% against UNC and roughly the same against USC. But the figure doesn’t distinguished between the two. I thought we ran the 3-3-5 scheme for the most part against UNC, except for the end of the game drive. But your comments about the 3-1-7 are Consistent with my view that we don’t have the right personnel for Freeman’s scheme…primarily we are overall very weak in our defensive backs defending the pass, and clearly don’t have the personnel for the man coverage he schemes.
Yep, the 3 -1-7 is being used with 90 seconds left on the clock, not 30. UNC end of first half and end of second half got downfield so fast. We luckily tightened up near the goal line to prevent TDs.

There's a few times that foskey rushes from the 3-3-5 alignment, but he's starting 5 yards further from the QB, and I haven't seen him get home once. I just don't get when you wouldn't run an alignment with our Dline talent that's

Foskey, MTA, Jayson Ademilolla, cross or mills, Botelho or Justin Ademilolla.......... You have 5 right at the LOS but only bring 3, you just don't know what 3. We do not disguise anything with our front

That's 7 talented players right there that can get at the passer. I didn't even include Nana, or big German.

Last edited:
Yep, the 3 -1-7 is being used with 90 seconds left on the clock, not 30. UNC end of first half and end of second half got downfield so fast. We luckily tightened up near the goal line to prevent TDs.

There's a few times that foskey rushes from the 3-3-5 alignment, but he's starting 5 yards further from the QB, and I haven't seen him get home once. I just don't get when you wouldn't run an alignment with our Dline talent that's

Foskey, MTA, Jayson Ademilolla, cross or mills, Botelho or Justin Ademilolla.......... You have 5 right at the LOS but only bring 3, you just don't know what 3. We do not disguise anything with our front

That's 7 talented players right there that can get at the passer. I didn't even include Nana, or big German.
I hear you. Play to our strengths or try to cover for our weaknesses! I think we were doing a really good job of disguising our defense in the first couple of games, but we had to dial this back a bit as we were making too many mistakes resulting in long TDS.

Jesus Christ....this kid hits like an absolute TRUCK. Reminds me a lot of Skalski. Realllly looking forward to him in an ND jersey.
Yes…yes…yes! Fast, athletic, great instincts and loves to deliver big hits. Really excited about this commitment.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT