ADVERTISEMENT

Does Mayer look slow?

Rionegro

ND Expert
Sep 22, 2018
Was watching the way Bowers moves at Ga and I know they’re different types of TE but Mike just seems a lot slower. And slower then last year. The guys a gamer for sure but if he’s our #1 offensive weapon we’re in trouble vs teams with similar talent. Was overall happy with the D and thought db’s showed up, Foskey was a disappointment. Still see us running the table from here just from a pure talent advantage. Clemson D will be a problem and a close game but very winnable. No other team on our schedule can match our talent level across the board

Reactions: Airzee23
Well then does a tree make a sound in the forest when you tip it over? This really is sort of an odd OP. Our talent, our pure raw talent across the board is so dominant that virtually no team in all of CFB can touch us, even including mighty Clemson....

And yet, you gotta wonder is the best player on our roster kind of overrated and slow?? I don't know OP, you need to keep pondering this shit for a while. And get back to us with some football wisdom!

He does look slow, but I think that is more in the way a tank or a transport plane looks slow. He's a damned big guy.

Was watching the way Bowers moves at Ga and I know they’re different types of TE but Mike just seems a lot slower. And slower then last year. The guys a gamer for sure but if he’s our #1 offensive weapon we’re in trouble vs teams with similar talent. Was overall happy with the D and thought db’s showed up, Foskey was a disappointment. Still see us running the table from here just from a pure talent advantage. Clemson D will be a problem and a close game but very winnable. No other team on our schedule can match our talent level across the board
You could time him with a sundial!

He also Carrie’s the ball like wee willie winkle stealing a pig. Didn’t he have a costly fumble in the bowl also?
That's probably the most awesome post this board has produced in a while. Because there is something funny, and something curious about Michael Mayer's particular brand of physicality, and his gait and whatnot.... and you just nailed it.

He doesn't seem too slow or unathletic to me, if anything his relative swiftness and suddenness is what makes him such a standout receiving threat at the TE position, who manages to always get open with ease, and pile up the catches. But as you say, he actually carries and totes the football like Wee Willie Winkle. Which I never would have thought of, but I believe is totally true....

He’s always looked slow to me.. I guess maybe more lumbering since he was on corners all night.

hopefully it wasn’t the extra intense SC or practices contributing to dead legs..

No.

Yes. But the scouts already know this. He’s a 2nd-3rd round pick for a reason.

Will go in first round 12-24. Yes he definitely looked slower .

Check his weight and there you go. He needs to drop weight and at around 250 or a little lower.

Reactions: Airzee23
Will go in first round 12-24. Yes he definitely looked slower .
No he won’t. That’s where Eifert went because of his speed. All the other ND TE’s of the past went 2nd round or later because they were slower.

He’s not slow but he’s not fast either. Elite abilities other than speed.

I thought he looked slow last year. He was almost invisible yesterday. So not sure.

Invisible, he had what half our receptions?
True but we only had 10 completions. Don’t know how many YAC he had but had to be far below his average. He certainly wasn’t invisible but not a force in this one

True but we only had 10 completions. Don’t know how many YAC he had but had to be far below his average. He certainly wasn’t invisible but not a force in this one
Agree but osu had a plan for him every play

That's probably the most awesome post this board has produced in a while. Because there is something funny, and something curious about Michael Mayer's particular brand of physicality, and his gait and whatnot.... and you just nailed it.

He doesn't seem too slow or unathletic to me, if anything his relative swiftness and suddenness is what makes him such a standout receiving threat at the TE position, who manages to always get open with ease, and pile up the catches. But as you say, he actually carries and totes the football like Wee Willie Winkle. Which I never would have thought of, but I believe is totally true....
Maybe it was a greased pig, that’s why he dropped the ball and couldn’t get all the way home! Mayer may incur the wrath of PETA, people eating tasty animals.

I said after that shamrock commercial thing he looks way too heavy.

He's not fleet of foot right for sure

Mayer is at 265. I am assuming that is deliberate. Odd for a guy who takes a ton of snaps at slot. It would make more sense if he were an online TE.

Bower is 230. I looked it up just now. He is a lot more mobile that Mayer right now.

Not sure why Mayer carries so much weight.

I thought Meyer who has put on more weight did look slower during the game . He also looked a little clumsy on the play where he dropped the ball while running . I’m always scared when a player puts on extra weight usually they lose some speed . I will be able to tell as the season progresses but he looked slower in the first game

I thought Meyer who has put on more weight did look slower during the game . He also looked a little clumsy on the play where he dropped the ball while running . I’m always scared when a player puts on extra weight usually they lose some speed . I will be able to tell as the season progresses but he looked slower in the first game
Agree. Combine that with the overall dominance of Ohio St physically, is there a reason to question the approach of Balis ?

Agree. Combine that with the overall dominance of Ohio St physically, is there a reason to question the approach of Balis ?
I think it's size partially. Other than tackles our oline doesn't have natural elite size (maybe lugg but he's just not that good) zeke and kristofic are small. Modern top guards are 330. Other than Mills, our Dline is undersized. OSU didn't have to double any interior players for the most part. They doubled our ends at times.

Marist Buchner and Estime are advance in size and strength for their position, and those 3 people showed power vs OSU while our smaller player were getting pushed back. Estime was finishing off runs for a few extra yards. We need speed and power. We aren't elite at either right now.

I'd like to see some big guards and bigger interior DL. Hopefully RUbio is ready to play soon.

Reactions: HotCarNut
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT