ADVERTISEMENT

Dex Rumor

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
Rumor going around that Dex may have met the criteria necessary to play Saturday night vs UM. No inside info here, just rumors being shared.

I don't think Dex is a complete game changer, but I think this is the wrong game for Tony Jones and his lack of speed/agility. I hope to see a lot of Tony in the fourth quarter though!

Reactions: IrishMike409
Rumor going around that Dex may have met the criteria necessary to play Saturday night vs UM. No inside info here, just rumors being shared.

I don't think Dex is a complete game changer, but I think this is the wrong game for Tony Jones and his lack of speed/agility. I hope to see a lot of Tony in the fourth quarter though!

So....
What happened was a former ND players’ dad who is a prominent poster says his son told him Dex was playing now. No confirmation at all, but that’s where the rumors started. So we will see Saturday I guess?

I don't think Dex is a complete game changer

He's the best we've got, so it would be a big deal, especially in what is likely to be a low scoring game. The more production we get out of the RB position the more room for Wimbush to operate the offense.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
So....
What happened was a former ND players’ dad who is a prominent poster says his son told him Dex was playing now. No confirmation at all, but that’s where the rumors started. So we will see Saturday I guess?
I think Kelly would hint at it or flat out say he's playing at his press conference today. Kelly hasn't been the one to try and be super secretive.

I could see Kelly saying any of these

"Dex has done an amazing job handling his business and we expect him to help us saturday night" - he's playing
"Dex is trending in the right direction and we'll see if he's able to help us saturday night" - Probably playing
"Dex is still working on establishing the routines necessary to help this team" - Not playing

His speed in the open field will be a difference maker when he plays. Think about the number of loooooong runs Adams had last year. Getting 6 points, versus a first down at midfield after a 30 yard run is a huge difference. Not having to put together drives of 10 plays really helped this team last year. Have Tony Jones go for 15 to 18 yards is great, having a back go for 70 is better.

you are right TXNDFan88 about Dex. he is the guy that can take it 70 plus yds against Michigan at any time. i'm worried if i'm Michigan if he plays

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409
Would be massive. I don't think his impact on the run game can be overstated. Have extremely high hopes and expectations for him this year.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
by most accounts he has had little if any practice time at all with the first two units. we shall see. i highly doubt his playing or not playing will be the determining factor in the game.

Would be massive. I don't think his impact on the run game can be overstated. Have extremely high hopes and expectations for him this year.
not me. he would have to make a complete transformation in his effort for that to occur. i hope i'm wrong.

His speed in the open field will be a difference maker when he plays. Think about the number of loooooong runs Adams had last year. Getting 6 points, versus a first down at midfield after a 30 yard run is a huge difference. Not having to put together drives of 10 plays really helped this team last year. Have Tony Jones go for 15 to 18 yards is great, having a back go for 70 is better.
dex is not a burner like adams was.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Can you expand on that? You don't think he provides 100% effort, or am I misunderstanding?
that has always been the biggest knock against him. effort. it has never been an issue of his ability. still struggles knowing the playbook. the biggest obstacle in his career at Nd has been himself. he can't be counted on. hopefully this year the light has gone on for him if he has any aspirations at all of going to the next level.

Not top end speed, but much quicker and hits the hole harder. Dex has the ability to get 30 yards on a 5 yard run, where as Adams had the ability to go 70 on a 20 yard run.
agreed. dex much more likely to get run down from behind.

Question. You are a fly on the wall. You know that Dex was told if you do "this", you will be suspended for X games. He does the action. Then BK decides that Dex will not be suspended. Would you approve of this action?
see, being "suspended " at notre dame is far from a suspension. it's in essence a benching. he's not suspended from any team activities other than playing in games. a benching in every sense of the word.

Question. You are a fly on the wall. You know that Dex was told if you do "this", you will be suspended for X games. He does the action. Then BK decides that Dex will not be suspended. Would you approve of this action?
We are not a fly on the wall and none of us were there for any meetings, conferences, or anything else related to Dexter. Don't equate ND/BK with programs you are used to following. ND has gone beyond the call of duty with their discipline of players, dating back to the Ara years. What's your point?

Reactions: iwish
echo . Dex may be practicing with the 1st/2nd unit this week . I would assume some one knows that . They need him for 12-13 games . This would be a big boost to that backfield sat nite. 5 - 8 carries would be fine to me.

Dex was not healthy last year after the MSU game. That game he and Adams were a great duo. williams has better speed then Jones and had a 9.3 average last year . They could use that.

echo . Dex may be practicing with the 1st/2nd unit this week . I would assume some one knows that . They need him for 12-13 games . This would be a big boost to that backfield sat nite. 5 - 8 carries would be fine to me.
i agree they can certainly use him. its tuesday, has it been reported he has participated with the 1's or 2's ?

BK was directly asked today about Dex and answered that Dex will be in uniform & on the sideline, & we will see if he plays Saturday.

Thats the exact opposite of the situation.

He was told he needed to do certain things & if he did, he would be able to play.

So yes, if he did what he was asked to do then yes, he should be able to play.

Or ND could be like other programs & go out of there way to hide things & protect players so they can play no matter what.

BK was directly asked today about Dex and answered that Dex will be in uniform & on the sideline, & we will see if he plays Saturday.
I think there is a chance he plays. He has been extremely positive about Dex for the last month. He was not positive about Stepherson last year until it got close to the 4 games being up. He may have been suspended for 4 games unless he shows/does x, y, z. Not sure, obviously that wasn't last years situation. Kelly is just handling this different than last year, so it gives me hope there is a chance he completed the necessary tasks put forth by kelly and is ready to rock n roll.

It'll be interesting how he performs. It's 1 year to work himself into possibly getting a shot at the next level. That's a lot of motivation.

If the above is true, then it sounds like it's strictly BK's decision if he see any action Saturday. Even 5-10 snaps would be helpful. Dex has been in the system for awhile. Should he get in the game, it's going to be to get the ball. Doubtful he gets in just to pass block on a critical 3rd down play. In a "getting the ball" scenario - he knows what to do. Hit the hole and run!!!

If the above is true, then it sounds like it's strictly BK's decision if he see any action Saturday. Even 5-10 snaps would be helpful. Dex has been in the system for awhile. Should he get in the game, it's going to be to get the ball. Doubtful he gets in just to pass block on a critical 3rd down play. In a "getting the ball" scenario - he knows what to do. Hit the hole and run!!!
I don't think it's BK's decision much at all, meaning. I think Dex may have been given a path by the school to be eligible for this week. If that is the case, by all reports, he's been awesome all summer/fall so I expect him to play. If he wasn't given a path and it's 4 games we'll see him game 5.

It’s true.

Here is the direct quote from the presser:

“Dexter Williams will be dressed, on the sidelines ... and we'll see what happens when we kick it off.”

doubtful he'll ever get in just to pass block. has he learned how yet ? didn't look like it in the spring game albeit a horrible event in which to evaluate players.

I don't think it's BK's decision much at all, meaning. I think Dex may have been given a path by the school to be eligible for this week. If that is the case, by all reports, he's been awesome all summer/fall so I expect him to play. If he wasn't given a path and it's 4 games we'll see him game 5.

It is BK’s decision.

If it was the school’s decision it would have been like the Frozen 5 who couldn’t even dress. The school prohibited them. If you practice & dress then it’s the coach’s own discipline.

I think Dex may have been given a path by the school to be eligible for this week.

The "path" could just as easily been dictated by Kelly, like it was with Michael Floyd. If you keep your nose clean, and do this, this, this and this, you can get yourself back in good standing.

that has always been the biggest knock against him. effort. it has never been an issue of his ability. still struggles knowing the playbook. the biggest obstacle in his career at Nd has been himself. he can't be counted on. hopefully this year the light has gone on for him if he has any aspirations at all of going to the next level.

I've heard the knocks about pass blocking and a solid understanding of the playbook, but never heard lack of effort associated with him. That's actually surprising to me, always seems to give 100%.

by most accounts he has had little if any practice time at all with the first two units. we shall see. i highly doubt his playing or not playing will be the determining factor in the game.
His run in the 2nd half of the bowl game vs. LSU completely swung the momentum ND’s way. A couple carries is all an athlete like him needs to potentially impact the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT