ADVERTISEMENT

Football Defensive Notes ... Summer Workouts

Bryan Driskell

Football Analyst
Apr 19, 2015
Granger, IN
Talked to several different sources about how things went this summer with workouts.

As I have said many, many times, always take summer workout information with a grain of salt. You don't really know what you have until players put the pads on, but here is how things went this summer according to various sources.

* Talked with a source about Troy Pride Jr., and apparently there is a lot of optimism that he is going to have a breakout season for the Irish. With Julian Love on the other side teams are likely going to challenge Pride early and often, but there is confidence Pride is ready for it. His speed has always been elite, but the source I spoke with mentioned that the big reason for optimism is his improved strength and physicality. He's far more confident now that he's physically so much stronger. Was told his daily preparation this summer has been outstanding.

* Speaking of Pride, a source I spoke with said he thinks of Pride when he thinks of freshman TaRiq Bracy. Was told that Bracy is behind a bit in regards to strength and technique, which wasn't a surprise, but his athleticism has been as good as advertised. Was told his quickness is exceptional and was told his overall athletic skillset is "elite." Not my word, that's the word that was used by a source. Apparently the staff things he's ready to play right away athletically, but he might need some time to get the necessary strength and mass to hold up, and he'll need to continue developing his technique. One thing that has helped him catch up a bit quicker from a technique standpoint is his confidence. I was told he's supremely confident in his ability, but he works every day to back it up.

* Was told that Noah Boykin showed up well behind physically due to coming from a high school program that wasn't as advanced as the rest of his classmates. He had a lot to learn in regards to how to train, but the positive according to a source is that Boykin immediately embraced the strength program and really attacked it. I was told he has already gained 7 pounds of muscle mass and he's been outstanding in workouts. The staff apparently has loved how hard he works, which is why he's made such quick strides. I was told he's been a big-time playmaker during 7-on-7's and 1-on-1's and is going to play this season. From an athleticism, talent standpoint he's everything the staff thought he would be.

* A source told me the corner that caught everyone's attention the most was D.J. Brown, who was more advanced from a S&C standpoint and a technique standpoint, and it allowed him to stand out early. Was told he works his tail off in the weight room and the staff loves how he competes every day. The other tidbit I got was his testing in regards to quickness, change of direction and speed was actually better than they expected, which had some coaches apparently really fired up. They recruited him b/c of his size, toughness and technique, but there were some questions about his athletic skills, but his testing numbers and summer performance has silenced those doubts so far. Was told that Brown eats, drinks and sleeps football. He's "all ball, all the time."

* Talked with someone briefly about Shaun Crawford and was told that his testing numbers this summer were back on par with where he was prior to his two major injuries, which is a positive. He remains the starter at nickel but I'm told he's going to be a part of the rotation this fall on the outside more than he was last year. I'm told that the coaches want to play at least four cornerbacks every game in hopes of taking some of the physical pounding off the bodies of the starters. Love, for example, played 862 snaps last year, which is a ton. Crawford getting back to form and the strong spring and summer from Donte Vaughn apparently has the staff feeling they have a really good four-man rotation, and that doesn't even include the freshmen, who are also pushing (especially Boykin). A source said some on the staff felt Vaughn was the best of the 2016 class corners when they were freshmen, but he had a back injury that made it hard for him to finish practices. He's healthy now and was one of the summer standouts after a good spring. They plan on doing some interesting things with him this year.

* At safety, Jalen Elliott has supposedly had a really good summer from a leadership and work standpoint. He's becoming more detail oriented with how he goes about his business and has really become a film junkie. His downhill speed is impressive but he isn't great in space, which is partly why he moved to the field safety position. Elliott has really taken his game to another level, but he also knows he needs to keep working because the freshmen are nipping on his heels.

* Speaking of the freshmen, the staff is supposedly extremely excited from what they've seen from Houston Griffith and Derrik Allen. Griffith is ahead of Allen physically because of the extra time. A source told me his body looks so much different now than what it did when he arrived in January. Was told he looks like a veteran now physically, and his transition to playing safety in college has gone faster than expected. His coverage skills this summer have really stood out to those I spoke with. He's not only athletic, but he's supposedly extremely smart and instinctive. A source told me Allen was exactly what they thought he would be. They want to see him with the pads on as a run defender, but his coverage skills on the backend have been outstanding according to the various folks I've spoken with. He had a sickness that cost him a little bit of time, but he caught up quickly and really impressed. I was told both Griffith and Allen are going to play this year - a lot - and their presence has really made the veterans step up their game as well. I asked about Allen eventually moving down to safety or rover and that was immediately shot down. Was told his movement skills as a coverage defender are already impressing and they see him as a "pure safety." Not my words, that's what I was told. Pure safety.

* Alohi Gilman has had a "great summer" according to a source I spoke with. He noted that he had a slow start during the spring, but he came on late and his summer has been excellent. Was told he's an exceptional worker, and he wants to be great, and works every day to get here. He had some bad habits this spring (which I've written about), and he's had to work hard at becoming an all-around safety as opposed as just a downhill player, and this summer he supposedly made big strides in that regards. Another source mentioned that one thing that really stands out about Gilman are his instincts. The more he learned the defense and just reacted the better he was. Early on in the spring you couldn't see them b/c he was thinking so much, but the more comfortable he got with the scheme the more you could see just how good of a feel for the game he had.

* Was told Devin Studstill has done a lot of growing up this offseason. He's gotten back on track when it comes to the work he puts in and he's in much better shape than he was a year ago. He's also working on some of the athletic limitations that cropped up last year. A source said he's actually the most instinctive veteran safety they have, but he has to be a bit more disciplined. Asked a source who the biggest surprise has been this summer at safety and before I could finish the question he said, "Nicco, absolutely Nicco Fertitta." Was told Nicco put on about 15 pounds and his body looks completely different. It's allowing him to hold up better and was told he's got a legit shot to crack the rotation this fall. It will be hard with the depth, but the source was adamant that Nicco is going to push people.

* Heard that Paul Moala showed up out of shape and is well behind the other players. He's working hard, but not being in the same kind of shape has put him in a situation where he's still playing catch up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News