ADVERTISEMENT

Defensive concern

DieHard_Irish

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 27, 2010
For all our troubles on offense this season, I think there is a very troubling problem with our defense. We consistently give up a score after we score. If the strongest part of your team is defense, then that can't happen. Trouble on offense was expected this season, with our youth at the offensive skill positions, but the defense has to play much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kelso86
For all our troubles on offense this season, I think there is a very troubling problem with our defense. We consistently give up a score after we score. If the strongest part of your team is defense, then that can't happen. Trouble on offense was expected this season, with our youth at the offensive skill positions, but the defense has to play much better.
A couple of takeaways wouldn't hurt either.

So....if we give up a score after we have scored....this must be a pretty solid defense....no?

Reactions: BGI User 756
I see your point. Just my opinion: the offense is the biggest cause of this. If your offense consistently goes 3 and out and/or cannot sustain drives, and cannot put up points, by the time the 3rd-4th quarters roll around, you're dog crap. I have never seen our defense on the field longer or more often than I have this season. The only positive this season to me, has been how low scoring opposing offenses have been against us. Particularly considering we held the "great" Ohio State offense to 21, despite them being on the field the entire game due to ineptitude of the offense and coaching.

Agree! Where ihas #8 Liufau been??? Not in many tackles! Hasn't done a darn thing except get blocked! 1 solo tackle in 3 games. Get the Frosh #44 in there!!!

Reactions: hoopsstar12
I see your point. Just my opinion: the offense is the biggest cause of this. If your offense consistently goes 3 and out and/or cannot sustain drives, and cannot put up points, by the time the 3rd-4th quarters roll around, you're dog crap. I have never seen our defense on the field longer or more often than I have this season. The only positive this season to me, has been how low scoring opposing offenses have been against us. Particularly considering we held the "great" Ohio State offense to 21, despite them being on the field the entire game due to ineptitude of the offense and coaching.
Guess you weren't around the Willingham year. The players are not gassed; that is a built-in fans excuse. We rotate defenders all game. And going into the season we all knew the offense would struggle. We have zero WRs who get downfield separation; zero. Our best receivers are Mayer and the backs, notably Tyree. We knew the front 7 was gonna be the strength. They are not playing that way. They had flashes against both OSU and Cal, but that's it. And they still let Cal go to the last play

quit whining, we won our last game, everything is perfect!

Agree! Where ihas #8 Liufau been??? Not in many tackles! Hasn't done a darn thing except get blocked! 1 solo tackle in 3 games. Get the Frosh #44 in there!!!
Liufau and betrand each have 1 solo tackle through 3 games. Our LBs are terrible at shooting gaps to make a tackle, and get blocked by olinement too easy. We either make a wall and gang tackle for short to no gain, or we miss our gap and give up 5-10 yard run.

If it's second and 10 against our D and you run it, guaranteed minimum of 6 yards gained. IF it's 3rd and 10 and your qb can get our of pocket, minimum of 10 yard scramble.

Reactions: hoopsstar12
Guess you weren't around the Willingham year. The players are not gassed; that is a built-in fans excuse. We rotate defenders all game. And going into the season we all knew the offense would struggle. We have zero WRs who get downfield separation; zero. Our best receivers are Mayer and the backs, notably Tyree. We knew the front 7 was gonna be the strength. They are not playing that way. They had flashes against both OSU and Cal, but that's it. And they still let Cal go to the last play
Fact is the defense is holding teams to low score. Hard to blame a defense that only lets Ohio State score 21. On top of that the offense has kept them on the field the entire game all season increasing the odds of OSU scoring. Tired or not is besides the point. The defense being on the field too much increases the odds the opponent scores. Common sense really. Not sure what else you want? No turnovers is a valid complaint. We can’t shut everyone out. Not even Bama can do that. Teams will score.

Fact is the defense is holding teams to low score. Hard to blame a defense that only lets Ohio State score 21. On top of that the offense has kept them on the field the entire game all season increasing the odds of OSU scoring. Tired or not is besides the point. The defense being on the field too much increases the odds the opponent scores. Common sense really. Not sure what else you want? No turnovers is a valid complaint. We can’t shut everyone out. Not even Bama can do that. Teams will score.
With losses like these....who needs wins?

• Haha
Reactions: Irish_Mutt
The defense hasn't been perfect, but holding our three opponents to 21, 19 and 17 points isn't that bad. They need to get more turnovers, though.

The defense hasn't been perfect, but holding our three opponents to 21, 19 and 17 points isn't that bad. They need to get more turnovers, though.
If our offense had a pulse, everyone would be talking about how amazing our defense is. Considering all they do is come back out on the field, they're doing pretty well. Remember, they're holding those teams to that low of a score and they're on the field 10x's longer than most teams.

Reactions: mbd11
One really good offense and the D played very good with all fall to prep. Then we've played two bad offenses and the D hasn't played that great consistently.

I think the D is worse than I expected even with secondary better than I expected. Dline has been disappointing and LBs have been pretty awful as a whole.

More? They have zero on the season so far, so yeah there's needs to be one, then a lot more.

If our offense had a pulse, everyone would be talking about how amazing our defense is. Considering all they do is come back out on the field, they're doing pretty well. Remember, they're holding those teams to that low of a score and they're on the field 10x's longer than most teams.
I don't get why you and so many others are saying this. Our time of possession is pretty darn even, meaning our O and D are on the field the same amount of time. It's 29:45 on O and 30:15 on D. Our D isn't on the field all game or more than other teams. They just are playing good at times and really bad at times. To give up 3-4 over 80 yard TD drives with 2 being 95 yards is terrible. 3-4 80+ yard td drives in a season is bad for a good D, and we've played 3 games.

TOP is not the issue at all. Cal had their long drive score right after we had a long drive for a score, the D was well rested.

I don't get why you and so many others are saying this. Our time of possession is pretty darn even, meaning our O and D are on the field the same amount of time. It's 29:45 on O and 30:15 on D. Our D isn't on the field all game or more than other teams. They just are playing good at times and really bad at times. To give up 3-4 over 80 yard TD drives with 2 being 95 yards is terrible. 3-4 80+ yard td drives in a season is bad for a good D, and we've played 3 games.

TOP is not the issue at all. Cal had their long drive score right after we had a long drive for a score, the D was well rested.
Seems hardly possible considering it was like 2009 the last time we didn't get a first down until late into the second quarter.

Seems hardly possible considering it was like 2009 the last time we didn't get a first down until late into the second quarter.

scroll down a little bit to see TOP. We had a really good game plan and executed it for 3 quarters vs OSU. Our game plan and execution last two games defensively has been lacking, along with effort.

More? They have zero on the season so far, so yeah there's needs to be one, then a lot more.
Yeah, that's for sure. Being -4 in turnovers on the season isn't good. And going -3 vs. Marshall had a huge impact on that game's outcome.

Reactions: NIN Irish
The flip side of that is that we have depth on defense that we aren't using early which leads to that wear down.

The flip side of that is that we have depth on defense that we aren't using early which leads to that wear down.
We've rotated 25 players, including freshman, over the first three games; the defense is not gassed, that is just a convenient excuse used by fans who haven't a clue. We've given up waaay to many long scoring drives because of poor tackling, poor physicality, and poor execution.

We've rotated 25 players, including freshman, over the first three games; the defense is not gassed, that is just a convenient excuse used by fans who haven't a clue. We've given up waaay to many long scoring drives because of poor tackling, poor physicality, and poor execution.
Shockingly agree 100%

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Yes and no...

We aren't quite as exhausted as some might imply but our offense is writing the book on the 3 and out.

Actually we're just adding another chapter to the book that Brian Kelly wrote

Yes and no...

We aren't quite as exhausted as some might imply but our offense is writing the book on the 3 and out.

More like an encyclopedia!

Yes and no...

This is actually awesome for you guys, in a way, us sucking so bad. Either way you were going to continue your insane persecution of BK. But the fact that we suck so bad, without BK, can indeed be framed, if you're nuts, in such a way as to blame it on BK. It's his fault, this is his program, so what's a coach like MF to do, right?

Still.... If we finish 5-7, and LSU, which is a true rebuilding situation, finishes 8-4..... it's just not going to be that satisfying. But hey, as long as there's even minimal plausibility you're going to attack it. You have to work with you got, I suppose....

This is actually awesome for you guys, in a way, us sucking so bad. Either way you were going to continue your insane persecution of BK. But the fact that we suck so bad, without BK, can indeed be framed, if you're nuts, in such a way as to blame it on BK. It's his fault, this is his program, so what's a coach like MF to do, right?

Still.... If we finish 5-7, and LSU, which is a true rebuilding situation, finishes 8-4..... it's just not going to be that satisfying. But hey, as long as there's even minimal plausibility you're going to attack it. You have to work with you got, I suppose....
I don't give a shit what LSU does. Matter of fact i wouldn't even know they lost week 1 had soneone not made entire post about it.

What's odd is that any negative remark or sentiment referring to Brian Kelly it's like you take it personally. It appears like it literally drives you mad and gets your ire going.

What or why do you even care?
I don't care if you think he was a top coach...doesn't bother me one bit. I'd disagree with you on it but that's it.
If someone thinks BK wasn't a good coach at ND you literally just don't respectfully dusagree but you take it personally like someone just made fun of your close kin.

Brian Kelly sure doesn't care if you get in a pissing contest with another poster. I promise you that.

I don't give a shit what LSU does. Matter of fact i wouldn't even know they lost week 1 had soneone not made entire post about it.

What's odd is that any negative remark or sentiment referring to Brian Kelly it's like you take it personally. It appears like it literally drives you mad and gets your ire going.

What or why do you even care?
I don't care if you think he was a top coach...doesn't bother me one bit. I'd disagree with you on it but that's it.
If someone thinks BK wasn't a good coach at ND you literally just don't respectfully dusagree but you take it personally like someone just made fun of your close kin.

Brian Kelly sure doesn't care if you get in a pissing contest with another poster. I promise you that.
Oh, really? So you put your fingers in your ears and shut your eyes when it comes to LSU football. Understandable. But you still bring it back to BK when it comes to ND's sudden collapse into incompetence and irrelevance. Of course you do....

Like I say, if we keep losing it's just going to get lonelier and lonelier for die-hard BK haters like yourself...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT