ADVERTISEMENT

DC Pruitt not following Richt to UM!! New Hire??

UGAs d has been horrible the last few years. The fact that he'd rather have bvg over his current guy should tell you something.

Don't you think if an upgrade was available he would do it?
I believe BK stays loyal to coordinators almost to a fault. However, he has proved that when asst. coaches/coordinators make a sideways move then he upgrades. I do not pretend to know defensive coordinators out there that would be an upgrade but I trust ND can find one.

If Al Golden would have fired his long time buddy as DC he would be coaching Miami.

I believe BK stays loyal to coordinators almost to a fault. However, he has proved that when asst. coaches/coordinators make a sideways move then he upgrades. I do not pretend to know defensive coordinators out there that would be an upgrade but I trust ND can find one.
Good response brother.

Loyality is a tricky thing.

Hiring Quality assistants is IMO coach Kelly's best attribute. I thought the coach Diaco was a questionable hire, so I stopped that.

This is going to be the DCs thrid season com ok ng up, but as with the 2012 defense I hope the defense can catch a few breaks next .season

we have a dc in year two. He's not going anywhere and shouldn't. Build a program. There are no quick fixes to depth and personnel issues in secondary.

Personnel issues in the secondary? I agree they played poorly. But heading into the year that foursome looked like they could be a strength. I don't think ND is going to have a more veteran and talented (at least on paper) group than Luke, Russel, Redfield and Shumate for a few years. If the secondary issues were problematic in 2015, we might be up the creek without a paddle if we have to replace Russell and Shumate for next year.

I'll throw it out to the board: how much of the secondary issues is talent versus teaching? How is that ND had a better secondary in 2012 with freshman Russell, rs freshman Farley, converted WR Jackson and Motta?

Personnel issues in the secondary? I agree they played poorly. But heading into the year that foursome looked like they could be a strength. I don't think ND is going to have a more veteran and talented (at least on paper) group than Luke, Russel, Redfield and Shumate for a few years. If the secondary issues were problematic in 2015, we might be up the creek without a paddle if we have to replace Russell and Shumate for next year.

I'll throw it out to the board: how much of the secondary issues is talent versus teaching? How is that ND had a better secondary in 2012 with freshman Russell, rs freshman Farley, converted WR Jackson and Motta?
I don't think it's a lack of talent. That back 4 featured 3 four star and 1 five star recruit. It's a shame they played as bad as they did. I think it's partially coaching and partially lack of discipline by the players. So many times they were actually in position to make a play, but didn't. Whether it was not turning their head around quick enough for the ball, not using proper tackling technique, taking poor angles in pursuit, biting on play action, jumping on a short route and then getting burnt, not simply doing their job in the scheme, etc. Frustrating to watch.

As for the coaching, they need to hold the players accountable for this. If the players werent doig their job, then they need to be benched, until they get it. They did that with Redfield, but not the other 3. Now as to whether or not their poor play was due to a complicated scheme is difficult to determine just from watching the game. If they are confused, then coaches need to simplify the system or find a better way to teach it.

NDs pass defense was ranked 29th going into the Stanford game.

we have a dc in year two. He's not going anywhere and shouldn't. Build a program. There are no quick fixes to depth and personnel issues in secondary.

The defense blows an inordiante amount of assignments and plays poor fundamentally. We didn't see this in year two of Diaco.

At some point, blowing assignments comes down to athletes making plays.

I'm talking about things that have nothing to do with strength/athleticism; things like covering the wrong guy, not playin pass first, executing the wrong pass drops. Those things have nothing to with 40 times. The amount that it happened has me questioning the coaching.

I'm talking about things that have nothing to do with strength/athleticism; things like covering the wrong guy, not playin pass first, executing the wrong pass drops. Those things have nothing to with 40 times. The amount that it happened has me questioning the coaching.
You would need to know the defensive calls to make this assessment.

Last edited:
Have you heard that Richt is after BVG?
Yeah I think a mod at one of the other sites tweeted out a link to an article from a Miami paper listing him a guy richt supposedly contacted via back channels. Who knows just a rumor.

You would need to know the defensive calls to make this assessment.

I do know the defensive calls. Not pre snap, but post snap. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is where knowing the game and taking time to break it down gets you.

When you understand how defenses work, its easy to see when someone doesn't do what they're supposed to. You can see 10 guys doing one thing, and one guy doing another that leaves the defense in an unsound position. Same goes for offense.

44, I think we may be talking along the same lines, some what. My point is this... Without knowing what is going on in film room and in training sessions, I have to believe that the players have been instructed on the proper techniques and are familiar with the game plans. If this is the case then, with all things being equal, it becomes incumbent upon them to execute the plan on the field. There is only so much that the coaches can do in instructing them off the field. After that it is up to them to remember not to let the receiver get the inside track on a slant or to remember that in a certain defense there won't be safety help over the top so they cant release a receiver. None of us here have been at practice but I have to believe they are being taught the proper techniques. I just don't know how much of what is going on has to fall back on the coaches.

44, I think we may be talking along the same lines, some what. My point is this... Without knowing what is going on in film room and in training sessions, I have to believe that the players have been instructed on the proper techniques and are familiar with the game plans. If this is the case then, with all things being equal, it becomes incumbent upon them to execute the plan on the field. There is only so much that the coaches can do in instructing them off the field. After that it is up to them to remember not to let the receiver get the inside track on a slant or to remember that in a certain defense there won't be safety help over the top so they cant release a receiver. None of us here have been at practice but I have to believe they are being taught the proper techniques. I just don't know how much of what is going on has to fall back on the coaches.

I'm certain they're being taught to do the right things, but they're not getting the job done. That's coaching. What you see on the field is a result of coaching.

Basically every guy that's coaching at this level knows a ton about the game. Knowing the game doesn't make a good coach. Getting your guys to play the way they are supposed to is what makes a good coach.

I wouldn't hold the coaches accountable for every single coverage bust or every time a player messes up, but what one sees consistently from the players is a direct result of coaching. The defense has been consistent with poor tackling, coverage busts, lack of discipline.

Its not just those three things. Defending the zone read has been an issue. Against Temple, ND had three or four busted assignments just against this one particular play on only one drive (4:30 in the 3rd I believe). Again, its not that our guys just didn't execute well. Its that they didn't play their assignments correctly which allowed for big chunks of easy yardage.

I don't know how to fix it, but I believe this to believe a coaching issue. The only potential excuse I'm giving is that maybe the ND coaches don't think they have a lot of talent so they're trying to be very multiple to gain an advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT