ADVERTISEMENT

Could the Associated Press Poll once more determine the National Championship?

fedman

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2002

I have linked the latest article from Dennis Dodd concerning the talks between the Big10, ACC and SEC. It doesn't really cover any new ground. He is just regurgitating information from many other articles on the subject. However, the topic did get me to thinking and coming up with an idea way outside the box.

There is no question that the Big10, ACC and PAC 12 conferences are upset with the SEC. I think that there have always been concerns with the SEC's recruiting practices and they way they seem to consider academics of secondary concern. The fact that the SEC has won 11 of the last 15 National Championships have not helped matters. Add to that the fact that the SEC basically destroyed the Big 12.

It is also a known fact that both the Big10 and PAC 12 have an obsession with the Rose Bowl and have expressed concern over the fact that the current playoff system has diminished the importance of the Rose Bowl game.

Here is my plan:

(1) Remember the old College Football Association of the late 1970s and early 1980s. Why not revive it with the Big10, ACC, PAC12 and any other schools who would want to join. All other sports remain in the NCAA, just like the old CFA. The SEC is excluded.

(2) The CFA pulls out of the current playoff system and holds their own CFA championship playoff. The four teams are the champions of the Big10, ACC and PAC 12 plus one wild card, which is the highest ranked team that is not one of the champions of the Big10, ACC and PAC 12.

(3) The Rose Bowl is played on New Years day and the two teams are ALWAYS the Big10 champion vs the PAC 12 champions making up one of the semi-final games. The Orange Bowl will be played at night on New Years day with the two teams being the ACC champions vs the wild card team. The CFA championship game will then be played at a later date at another venue.

(4) The SEC would likely be a part of some kind of remaining NCAA playoff system with the SEC teams and any other teams/conferences that remain in the NCAA endorsed playoff system. The net result will be a CFA champion and a NCAA/SEC champion.

(5) Thus college football will 'Go Back to the Future' with the Associated Press poll picking the National Champion - likely either the CFA champion or the NCAA/SEC champion.

Now obviously Notre Dame would be at a disadvantage under this plan - but I don't really think the Big10, ACC or PAC 12 would give a damn if this system hurt ND or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News