ADVERTISEMENT

College football TV ratings 2019

Catholicfan95

ND Expert
Jun 3, 2013
Looking back at this season, and already looking forward to next, I was looking over the TV rating for this past season. I always like to see where we stack up year by year with every team across the country. I will be pasting a live link at the bottom of this and I hope you guys will take a look as this site dates back to 2012 weeks 1-12, Championship Week and Bowl Games.

It is always interesting to me to see what captivates the audiences each season. This year the game of the year (regular season) was Alabama vs LSU which scored a 9.7. The Clemson vs Ohio State game scored an 11.1.

I am willing to bet that tonight's game scores over 12. The highest game in the CFP era was UGA vs Bama which scored a 15.6, almost 30 million viewers.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Looking back at this season, and already looking forward to next, I was looking over the TV rating for this past season. I always like to see where we stack up year by year with every team across the country. I will be pasting a live link at the bottom of this and I hope you guys will take a look as this site dates back to 2012 weeks 1-12, Championship Week and Bowl Games.

It is always interesting to me to see what captivates the audiences each season. This year the game of the year (regular season) was Alabama vs LSU which scored a 9.7. The Clemson vs Ohio State game scored an 11.1.

I am willing to bet that tonight's game scores over 12. The highest game in the CFP era was UGA vs Bama which scored a 15.6, almost 30 million viewers.

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

I will watch it on 2 TV’s! does that help?

I read something last week that said the Cotton Bowl had its worst TV rating in many many years. You did have Memphis playing, which doesn't have any real national panache, but I suspect us playing at the same time against a P5 opponent on another channel also played a part in it.

I read something last week that said the Cotton Bowl had its worst TV rating in many many years. You did have Memphis playing, which doesn't have any real national panache, but I suspect us playing at the same time against a P5 opponent on another channel also played a part in it.

We were not as dominate as I thought this year ratings wise. Even though, if you think about it in the perspective that even with a less than attention grabbing schedule we still managed 3's and 5's during the year its not bad. I think now ratings are going to be better in the later part of the year since there is more on the line, I know that might seem like an obvious thing to say but it is the truth.

We were not as dominate as I thought this year ratings wise. Even though, if you think about it in the perspective that even with a less than attention grabbing schedule we still managed 3's and 5's during the year its not bad. I think now ratings are going to be better in the later part of the year since there is more on the line, I know that might seem like an obvious thing to say but it is the truth.

sub-alum base is kicking up daisies

sub-alum base is kicking up daisies

While that point is true, I think the biggest thing is lack of meaningful games on the schedule (when it comes to ratings, every game matters). The next 2 years, Notre Dame should be dominating the ratings, huge games almost every other week.

I would rather have our old schedule but I am not in control.

While that point is true, I think the biggest thing is lack of meaningful games on the schedule (when it comes to ratings, every game matters). The next 2 years, Notre Dame should be dominating the ratings, huge games almost every other week.

I've noticed the rankings of ND's games have taken a precipitous fall from where they were prior to the Kelly regime.

A most troubling transpiring of events as it shows that overall general interest in the program has dropped significantly under Kelly. More so than any other coach in the program's history.

Reactions: G_a_r_y

Some Saturdays in the fall there are nearly 40 games on TV in the Atlanta area, and that doesn't count streaming services. The audience is just getting spread out very thinly. And fans generally watch their team even if there is a more meaningful game on another channel at the same time. Casual fans pick and choose the best games.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Some Saturdays in the fall there are nearly 40 games on TV in the Atlanta area, and that doesn't count streaming services. The audience is just getting spread out very thinly. And fans generally watch their team even if there is a more meaningful game on another channel at the same time. Casual fans pick and choose the best games.

No doubt so is it more of the fact that there are less ND fans? Do not think so. More of a case of a poor schedule to pick up the casual fan as you mentioned. Would you not think so?

This is nonsense

I wish it were so.

Regrettably, ND's TV rankings throughout the years have been catalogued and it bears witness to this distressing fact.

I dislike the lowering of interest of the program under Kelly as much as you, unfortunately our lack of affinity for the data makes it no less true.

Should you have evidence to the contrary I would be delighted to see it so that my fears may be assuaged.

No doubt so is it more of the fact that there are less ND fans? Do not think so. More of a case of a poor schedule to pick up the casual fan as you mentioned. Would you not think so?
I think there are less ND fans through a natural progression. When the ND following was growing in the early and mid 1900s, and we created what was known as the subway alumni, most of the subway alumni had one thing in common. They didn't go to college. In that era, most people didn't go to college. Contrast that to the latter 1900s and into the 2000s. A significantly higher percentage of the population has attended or does attend college. This creates a direct loyalty to their alma mater, versus the indirect loyalty of subway alums. So, as the subway alum generation dies off, a significant portion of the next generation has a college degree and a new loyalty to an alma mater, that in 99% of cases, is not ND. Some of the children of subway alums might continue to follow ND, but it's not the same level of connection, especially if they attended college elsewhere.

So then you deal with the reality of the size and location of ND. We only graduate about 2,500 students each year, including grad students who may or may not have the athletic connection. We are located in a state where there are two major state universities playing college athletics, along with many other state schools, and are located in a part of that state which does not have a significant population. Growing up In Indiana, or northern Indiana, is surely not going to force you to become an ND fan.

So what is going on is a pretty much inevitable phenomenon. I would tend to think there are relatively less USC fans today for the same reasons, though it is a bigger school in a heavily populous area. USC used to have a national following. It no longer has that. People have established other loyalties.

I wish it were so.

Regrettably, ND's TV rankings throughout the years have been catalogued and it bears witness to this distressing fact.

I dislike the lowering of interest of the program under Kelly as much as you, unfortunately our lack of affinity for the data makes it no less true.

Should you have evidence to the contrary I would be delighted to see it so that my fears may be assuaged.
So the fact every team plays on TV now, more competition, cord cutting, people watching on different devices, less catholic demographic etc....that has nothing to do with it lol.

You're trolling for Kelly is pathetic. You are a complete tool.

Reactions: Pennick4
So the fact every team plays on TV now, more competition, cord cutting, people watching on different devices, less catholic demographic etc....that has nothing to do with it lol.

You're trolling for Kelly is pathetic. You are a complete tool.

I was merely speaking to their respective rankings in comparison to other games. Not merely to the standalone figure.

As we know, figure on its own is meaningless without comparison and context.

Thereby reviewing the data through a ranking system compared to other teams, rather than, stand alone figures--we can eliminate the phenomenon you so describe as being impactful to our conclusion.

Sorry, I should have articulated that more concisely in my post. But thank you for the attempt to quelch my anxiety on the matter.

Unfortunately, the damage for which has been wrought to our TV ratings over the past ten years remains.

I was merely speaking to their respective rankings in comparison to other games. Not merely to the standalone figure.

As we know, figure on its own is meaningless without comparison and context.

Thereby reviewing the data through a ranking system compared to other teams, rather than, stand alone figures--we can eliminate the phenomenon you so describe as being impactful to our conclusion.

Sorry, I should have articulated that more concisely in my post. But thank you for the attempt to quelch my anxiety on the matter.

Unfortunately, the damage for which has been wrought to our TV ratings over the past ten years remains.

The games will be broadcast in ‘tongues’, this year!

I think there are less ND fans through a natural progression. When the ND following was growing in the early and mid 1900s, and we created what was known as the subway alumni, most of the subway alumni had one thing in common. They didn't go to college. In that era, most people didn't go to college. Contrast that to the latter 1900s and into the 2000s. A significantly higher percentage of the population has attended or does attend college. This creates a direct loyalty to their alma mater, versus the indirect loyalty of subway alums. So, as the subway alum generation dies off, a significant portion of the next generation has a college degree and a new loyalty to an alma mater, that in 99% of cases, is not ND. Some of the children of subway alums might continue to follow ND, but it's not the same level of connection, especially if they attended college elsewhere.

So then you deal with the reality of the size and location of ND. We only graduate about 2,500 students each year, including grad students who may or may not have the athletic connection. We are located in a state where there are two major state universities playing college athletics, along with many other state schools, and are located in a part of that state which does not have a significant population. Growing up In Indiana, or northern Indiana, is surely not going to force you to become an ND fan.

So what is going on is a pretty much inevitable phenomenon. I would tend to think there are relatively less USC fans today for the same reasons, though it is a bigger school in a heavily populous area. USC used to have a national following. It no longer has that. People have established other loyalties.

Great post, always like engaging with you. Do you think if we had won more in the past it would be different or do you think it kind of a niche brand now regardless of winning?

Great post, always like engaging with you. Do you think if we had won more in the past it would be different or do you think it kind of a niche brand now regardless of winning?
If we had won at a rate like Alabama over the past 12 years, I think it might have made a difference. But who could have that as an expectation? I don't think there's been a sustained period of excellence like that at any time in ND's history, nor in anyone else's history. Twelve years is a very long time to play consistently at that level. It is phenomenal.

But what is going on now could have been predicted long ago simply for demographic reasons and evolving changes in the college landscape and the religious landscape. It is what it is. And any suggestion that Brian Kelly has anything to do with it is simply a feeble attempt to find any reason possible to criticize him.

2020sched.jpg

So this schedule is going to put ND at the top?? Besides Clemson and Wisconsin, what makes you think that? Actually its a pretty soft schedule, ND should go at least 10-2 at the worst. With regard to ratings, no it will not help ND.

Reactions: deadprez3
So this schedule is going to put ND at the top?? Besides Clemson and Wisconsin, what makes you think that? Actually its a pretty soft schedule, ND should go at least 10-2 at the worst. With regard to ratings, no it will not help ND.

Agree.

The schedules the past five years have taken a decided turn for the worse.

Traditional rivals such as Michigan, MSU, and Purdue have been swapped out for non P5 opponents.

Who would've thought that a MAC team would ever step foot into ND Stadium on a consistent basis?

That change coupled with our affiliation with the worst P5 conference in the country ensures we have 10 wins scheduled each and every year.

Unfortunately this is the way Kelly wants it and he is currently manipulating the schedule for success in the same manner Joe Paterno did to build up the PSU program.

Wrt Wisconsin, they have lost all of their best players to graduation or early entrance into the draft--they will not have a good team next year, comparable to Virginia this year. It should be an automatic win.

Next year is set up perfectly for Kelly to run the table. It's a one game schedule. We needn't hear excuses, simply observe on the field results.

Reactions: ohio1980
2020sched.jpg

Based 100% off of my assumption that most of these teams will be ranked in the top 25. It is a homer take sure, but I think it is a very entertaining schedule if these teams and ND live up to their end of the bargain. Remember, I am a ND fan so, GT in Atlanta seems like itll do well 3-4. Pitt is a rivalry it should be at least a 2. Stanford should be at least a 3 if they are any good. USC if they win 10 games should be close to a 5 or 6.

It is all hypothetical and there is no way to really determine if I will be right until next year comes along. But I am more than willing to say that my take is extremely homer.

Reactions: ohio1980

You left out how their children no longer attend Mass. They wont feel comfortable aligning with a tribe that they no longer believe in.

Actually its a pretty soft schedule, ND should go at least 10-2 at the worst. With regard to ratings, no it will not help ND.

No.

TV wise, this year ESPN didn't get the top rated games like UM-OSU and ND-UGA, until bowl season. I think the Mouse had only 1 of the top 5 before postseason. That explains why Disney is backing up the truck to buy off the SEC.

@ohio1980 I think Notre Dame's schedule is not soft by the way. At least when we are measuring it to the rest of college football.

Assuming you are an Ohio State fan, which would be a leap of faith, Your alls schedule is no better. Your only OC game worth acknowledging is in Eugene the 2nd week of the year. Then if we really look at the entire landscape of college football I am willing to place down the hard assumption that our schedule is just as "soft" as the rest.

You left out how their children no longer attend Mass. They wont feel comfortable aligning with a tribe that they no longer believe in.

I noted that in a subsequent post. Changes in the religious landscape. Reality, whether we like it, or not.

@ohio1980 I think Notre Dame's schedule is not soft by the way. At least when we are measuring it to the rest of college football.

Assuming you are an Ohio State fan, which would be a leap of faith, Your alls schedule is no better. Your only OC game worth acknowledging is in Eugene the 2nd week of the year. Then if we really look at the entire landscape of college football I am willing to place down the hard assumption that our schedule is just as "soft" as the rest.
Assuming that Georgia Tech takes a big leap forward as expected in Geoff Collins' second season, we have two pretty easy games. Ironically one is against a team from probably the single most competitive division in all of college football, the SEC West. Navy is only considered an easy game by fans of schools who never play them. You play them once, like Ohio State did a few years ago, and struggle mightily, you have a different appreciation for playing Navy.

Assuming that Georgia Tech takes a big leap forward as expected in Geoff Collins' second season, we have two pretty easy games. Ironically one is against a team from probably the single most competitive division in all of college football, the SEC West. Navy is only considered an easy game by fans of schools who never play them. You play them once, like Ohio State did a few years ago, and struggle mightily, you have a different appreciation for playing Navy.

I did look at the rating of the 2012 Navy game and it scored a 1.9 in the states....not the best. However, I did not mange to get a hold of rating across the pond. I am sure it was on every pub in Ireland.

I did look at the rating of the 2012 Navy game and it scored a 1.9 in the states....not the best. However, I did not mange to get a hold of rating across the pond. I am sure it was on every pub in Ireland.

It kicked off at something like 6:30am on the West Coast. It's funny because back then it was automatic to set my alarm for ND football while now I would not even consider it.

I loved that game. When the noon games were starting up we had a win in our pocket, and a whole day of stress free college football to watch. If it were up to me we'd play all our games at 9:00a. Or at least the ones I am not attending. :)

Navy vs ND does not bring in the ratings. This is what I get into with my father who is a die hard fan. He is still living in the past, and believes people actually watch ND like its 1973 again. As mentioned above in posts, a lot has changed in regard to ND and it's not a knock or anything its just the way it is.
ND still has a drawing power, but nothing like it used to be a long time ago.
My point below: Look how many games are above this one this past year: ND vs Navy

Date/time Game Net Rtg. +/- Vwrs. +/-
11/16, 7:30p OKLA-BYLR ABC 3.9 +105% 6.79M +119%
11/16, 3:30p UGA-AUB CBS 4.0 +208% 6.77M +234%
11/16, 4:00p MINN-IOWA FOX 2.6 +100% 4.41M +123%
11/16, Noon MSU-MICH FOX 2.5 +56% 3.94M +57%
11/16, Noon IND-PSU ABC 1.9 -46% 2.93M -47%
11/16, 7:00p LSU-MISS ESPN 1.5 +7% 2.63M +7%
11/16, Noon ALA-MISS ST ESPN 1.5 +114% 2.49M +140%
11/16, Noon UF-MIZ CBS 1.5 — 2.29M —
11/16, 3:30p WF-CLEM ABC 1.2 -50% 1.91M -51%
11/16, 10:30p AZ-ORE ESPN 1.0 flat 1.61M +3%
11/16, 2:30p NAVY-ND NBC 1.0 -44% 1.56M -46%

Navy vs ND does not bring in the ratings. This is what I get into with my father who is a die hard fan. He is still living in the past, and believes people actually watch ND like its 1973 again. As mentioned above in posts, a lot has changed in regard to ND and it's not a knock or anything its just the way it is.
ND still has a drawing power, but nothing like it used to be a long time ago.
My point below: Look how many games are above this one this past year: ND vs Navy

Date/time Game Net Rtg. +/- Vwrs. +/-
11/16, 7:30p OKLA-BYLR ABC 3.9 +105% 6.79M +119%
11/16, 3:30p UGA-AUB CBS 4.0 +208% 6.77M +234%
11/16, 4:00p MINN-IOWA FOX 2.6 +100% 4.41M +123%
11/16, Noon MSU-MICH FOX 2.5 +56% 3.94M +57%
11/16, Noon IND-PSU ABC 1.9 -46% 2.93M -47%
11/16, 7:00p LSU-MISS ESPN 1.5 +7% 2.63M +7%
11/16, Noon ALA-MISS ST ESPN 1.5 +114% 2.49M +140%
11/16, Noon UF-MIZ CBS 1.5 — 2.29M —
11/16, 3:30p WF-CLEM ABC 1.2 -50% 1.91M -51%
11/16, 10:30p AZ-ORE ESPN 1.0 flat 1.61M +3%
11/16, 2:30p NAVY-ND NBC 1.0 -44% 1.56M -46%

As much as I agree and as good as this point is, I think the meaning behind the game stands for more than ratings. Navy is a game that we will always have on our schedule and it is a game that to the rest of the nation is meaningless but its tradition and Notre Dame is traditional to a fault sometimes. I have said this before and I am sure your dad would agree, I wish we had our old schedule full of our traditional rivals.

I think that if you look at the rest of college football there are maybe 2 huge games a year (outside of the SEC who has without a doubt dominated ratings) on each schedule.

Great post though, good fact finding.

I'm not certain this is accurate, according to US Government statistics through 2016 less than 33% of people under 50 have a Bachelors degree. So there are still many many college football fans who didn't or don't go to college.

I'm not certain this is accurate, according to US Government statistics through 2016 less than 33% of people under 50 have a Bachelors degree. So there are still many many college football fans who didn't or don't go to college.
What would that 33% have been in, say, 1950? Half of that? It's still a significant shift.

What would that 33% have been in, say, 1950? Half of that? It's still a significant shift.
Well I would agree it was probably much less going that far back, but that's going pretty far. In short, I can accept your point as somewhat valid, but not to the degree I think you meant.

I've noticed the rankings of ND's games have taken a precipitous fall from where they were prior to the Kelly regime.

A most troubling transpiring of events as it shows that overall general interest in the program has dropped significantly under Kelly. More so than any other coach in the program's history.

And it’s your stated position that the ratings are lower solely due to Kelly ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT