ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Kmet To The NFL

He's a fine prospect but he's not the #1 TE. Kid from Missouri will be the first off the board. I think he'll go mid 2nd to early 3rd. A good 40 time could change that.

Regardless off draft position it's a key loss and will put pressure on our young guys to step up, pretty much the theme from every poster.
more than one top analyst has projected Kmet as the first tight end off the board next spring. we shall see.

more than one top analyst has projected Kmet as the first tight end off the board next spring. we shall see.

I have not seen that anywhere that I have looked. The TE class this year is deep and from what I have seen all of the top TE's will be day 2 guys. Though, there is talk that the Pats could take a TE first round.

Again, if he has a good combine and out performs the others he could easily jump to the #1 TE spot. The highest I have seen Kmet is #2TE and 74 player overall. Brycen Hopkins is the overwhelming favorite to be the first TE taken off the board and for very good reason.

This is not true. Hes the number 1 tight end from multiple sites. The NFL feedback was he would be a 2nd round pick. If he performs well at combine he could sneak into first. You are wrong
What sites have him at #1? Not saying you are wrong but Kiper literally has him at the 6th best TE.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
What sites have him at #1? Not saying you are wrong but Kiper literally has him at the 6th best TE.

When the sources are listed as "multiple sites" one can fairly assume that he is #1 on maybe one source at best. He is a great TE but this is a deep TE class and he is not, as of right now, the #1 TE. Maybe with a good combine this could change but Hopkins seems to be the favorite off the board right now.

Reactions: nemeth#5
I have not seen that anywhere that I have looked. The TE class this year is deep and from what I have seen all of the top TE's will be day 2 guys. Though, there is talk that the Pats could take a TE first round.

Again, if he has a good combine and out performs the others he could easily jump to the #1 TE spot. The highest I have seen Kmet is #2TE and 74 player overall. Brycen Hopkins is the overwhelming favorite to be the first TE taken off the board and for very good reason.
two guys that i think are great draft analysts Dane Brugler and Scott Wright have both opined that Kmet will be the first tight end off the board. Brugler in particular in my opinion is by far the best draft guy out there. Kiper despite his ESPN presence is a hack.

Reactions: nemeth#5
two guys that i think are great draft analysts Dane Brugler and Scott Wright have both opined that Kmet will be the first tight end off the board. Brugler in particular in my opinion is by far the best draft guy out there. Kiper despite his ESPN presence is a hack.

Appreciate the sources! I would be elated if that was the case, we will see in April.

Reactions: echowaker

Actually the tight end class is weak this year. The wide reciever class is extremely deep. Tight end is not strong this year

Actually the tight end class is weak this year. The wide reciever class is extremely deep. Tight end is not strong this year

Seeing as there are 7-10 strong TE candidates I would say that is a good year for TE's. Heck 1-5 are all guys that are going to see playing time almost immediately, I guess I am off base, but that does not happen much. But if I am wrong please correct me with some sources and I will admit my error.

Seeing as there is 7-10 strong TE candidates I would say that is a good year for TE's. Heck 1-5 are all guys that are going to see playing time almost immediately, I guess I am off base, but that does not happen much. But if I am wrong please correct me with some sources and I will admit my error.
Read it multiple places. Don't have time to go back and post it all on here. 2 tight ends were drafted in the first round last year and 3 in the top 50 players. Said this year might have 0. We shall see.

And you are off base a lot but never admit it.

Read it multiple places. Don't have time to go back and post it all on here. 2 tight ends were drafted in the first round last year and 3 in the top 50 players. Said this year might have 0. We shall see.

Where a player is taken does not correlate to the strength of the TE class or any other position for that matter. Look at the 2010 and 2013 classes. Only 1 TE was taken in the first round of both of those drafts and they are arguably the best 2 classes ever. 2017 was a big year for TE as 3 were taken in the first round. The best TE drafted in 17 was Kittle at 146 in round 5, that class was very deep.

This is not fantasy football, teams do not draft based on best available they draft based on need, so it is hardly a good argument to make on your behalf to suggest that since no TE's will be taken in the first round that this is a weak class. It is hard for teams to justify taking a TE in the first round if they have already done it within the last 3 years, there are 10 other positions.

Reactions: Irontooth1234
Where a player is taken does not correlate to the strength of the TE class or any other position for that matter. Look at the 2010 and 2013 classes. Only 1 TE was taken in the first round of both of those drafts and they are arguably the best 2 classes ever. 2017 was a big year for TE as 3 were taken in the first round. The best TE drafted in 17 was Kittle at 146 in round 5, that class was very deep.

This is not fantasy football, teams do not draft based on best available they draft based on need, so it is hardly a good argument to make on your behalf to suggest that since no TE's will be taken in the first round that this is a weak class. It is hard for teams to justify taking a TE in the first round if they have already done it within the last 3 years, there are 10 other positions.
Some teams draft on need. Some draft on best player available. It's said at every draft. That is not true what you said right there.

This is not a particularly strong tight end draft. It may end up being somewhat deep, we'll see about that on draft night. Not everyone has declared yet. Probably why Kmet went after it right now. Wide reciever class this year is extremely deep.

Last year 3 tight ends got drafted in top 50 and 16 overall. That was a very good and deep class. Everything I have read says this year will not hit those numbers and is not as good. We'll have to wait and see what the results are on draft night

Some teams draft on need. Some draft on best player available. It's said at every draft. That is not true what you said right there.

This is not a particularly strong tight end draft. It may end up being somewhat deep, we'll see about that on draft night. Not everyone has declared yet. Probably why Kmet went after it right now. Wide reciever class this year is extremely deep.

Last year 3 tight ends got drafted in top 50 and 16 overall. That was a very good and deep class. Everything I have read says this year will not hit those numbers and is not as good. We'll have to wait and see what the results are on draft night

And in 2013 15 TE's were taken with just 1 being drafted in the 1st round and 3 were taken in the top 50. In 2010 20 TE's were taken with just 1 being drafted in the 1st round and 2 being taken in the top 50. There is no reason that this years class could not resemble those numbers maybe not the totals (15,20) but top 50 picks is realistic, though I doubt a TE will be taken in round 1.

My point is that there is a lot of size and talent in this years TE class. With the over flux of WR's and the extreme need for QB right now it is going to impact where TE's are taken but does not make this a weak class by any means. This years class is just as talented as last years draft. After the 2 boys from Iowa were picked in the 1st round there was a drop off, very clear drop off in talent. I think there is a much better balance in this years class. Look at Hopkins from Purdue, likely going first off the TE board then you still have 3-5 solid TE's following him. It is not as weak as you are making it out to be.

And in 2013 15 TE's were taken with just 1 being drafted in the 1st round and 3 were taken in the top 50. In 2010 20 TE's were taken with just 1 being drafted in the 1st round and 2 being taken in the top 50. There is no reason that this years class could not resemble those numbers maybe not the totals (15,20) but top 50 picks is realistic, though I doubt a TE will be taken in round 1.

My point is that there is a lot of size and talent in this years TE class. With the over flux of WR's and the extreme need for QB right now it is going to impact where TE's are taken but does not make this a weak class by any means. This years class is just as talented as last years draft. After the 2 boys from Iowa were picked in the 1st round there was a drop off, very clear drop off in talent. I think there is a much better balance in this years class. Look at Hopkins from Purdue, likely going first off the TE board then you still have 3-5 solid TE's following him. It is not as weak as you are making it out to be.
The top 3 were better than anyone in this class imo. Irv Smith was drafted 50 and would be the number 1 TE drafted in this class. I think this class is average and Kmet took advantage of that opportunity.

The top 3 were better than anyone in this class imo. Irv Smith was drafted 50 and would be the number 1 TE drafted in this class. I think this class is average and Kmet took advantage of that opportunity.

Time will tell. I think you are a little high on Irv though. He was good this year, just shy of 40 receptions couple of TDs, but he is undersized for a TE he's only 6-2.

it's not a bad decision regardless. he's gonna be high 2nd round at worst. big money.
Yeah not bad decision....... But first round is huge difference from overall money and guaranteed. If he was guaranteed second round this year with a chance at first round, it's a risk you may take because going first round is key, compared to risk of falling to say 3rd round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT