ADVERTISEMENT

Cole Kmet To The NFL

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Per him.

Good luck big fella! #1 TE on the NFL Draft board, with a 2nd round grade. Can't blame him one bit.

ND is going to be young among the pass catchers next years. Losing 150 pass receptions from this year with Claypool, Finke and Kmet. That's a ton of production.

Last edited:
He’s ready and will go 2nd or better. Bummer for 2020 but I get it. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: Zorich 88
Per him.

Good luck big fella! #1 TE on the NFL Draft board, with a 2ne round grade. Can't blame him one bit.

ND is going to be young among the pass catchers next years. Losing 150 pass receptions from this year with Claypool, Finke and Kmet. That's a ton of production.
You gotta combine that with bad recruiting at WR over the last several years.
It's going to be an interesting year...hopefully Austin can come back in the same way Dexter Williams did and materialize quickly into an alpha-WR and an NFL prospect in 2020. Outside of him and Freshman Jordan Johnson it's slim pickings in terms of veteran production and upside. The loss of Kmet is big.

With that being said, Tommy Tremble provided the youth/production combination that typically leads to BIG upside and Brock Wright provides the perfect complimentary skill set at TE.

Ian Book returning should also raise the floor quite a bit on the offense as a whole. I honestly don't see any major drop off, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing when it's hard to point to any type of real upside either.

Hopefully the defense has another level next year or it's probably going to be another very similar season in terms of where ND fits into the hierarchy of college football (~10-15th).

Reactions: IrishMike409
Notre Dame had 253 pass receptions in 2019. Chase Claypool, Cole Kmet, Chris Finke, Javon McKinley and Tony Jones who are all departing combined for 176 of them.

69% of ND's receptions in 2019 won't be on the 2020 roster. It's going to be fun to watch others grow up!

Notre Dame had 253 pass receptions in 2019. Chase Claypool, Cole Kmet, Chris Finke, Javon McKinley and Tony Jones who are all departing combined for 176 of them.

69% of ND's receptions in 2019 won't be o the 2020 roster. It's going to be fun to watch others grow up!
In my opinion most of this production is replaceable except for of course chase claypool. I think Tremble can provide similar production to Kmet, he had as good a true freshman season at TE as I've seen in a long time here. It's hard as hell to break into the 2 deep at TE at Notre Dame as a true frosh. He's a potential star in the making with the physical tools to match.

Chase Claypool is the major loss, but I'm hoping some combination of Austin/Johnson/Lenzy can help mitigate that loss. A 3rd year/veteran Ian Book should also help along with a healthy/very motivated Jafar Armstrong at RB who flashed NFL talent back in 2018.

ND also hasn't had a weapon like Tyree since CJ Prosise maybe ? Hoping he and johnson come in with college bodies ready to contribute on week 1. Also hoping Rees comes in at OC with some new fresh wrinkles that can take the offense to the next level.

That's A LOT of wishful thinking/hoping .. what most likely ends up happening is ND finishes somewhere in the 25-30 range in offensive efficiency for the third year in a row.

In my opinion most of this production is replaceable except for of course chase claypool. I think Tremble can provide similar production to Kmet, he had as good a true freshman season at TE as I've seen in a long time here. He's a potential star in the making with the physical tools to match.

Chase Claypool is the major loss, but I'm hoping some combination of Austin/Johnson/Lenzy can help mitigate that loss. A 3rd year/veteran Ian Book should also help along with a healthy/very motivated Jafar Armstrong at RB who flashed NFL talent back in 2018.

ND also hasn't had a weapon like Tyree since CJ Prosise maybe ? Hoping he and johnson come in with college bodies ready to contribute on week 1. Also hoping Rees comes in at OC with some new fresh wrinkles that can take the offense to the next level.

I'm not terribly worried.

The trio of Tremble, Wright and Mayer can make make up for Kmet's production collectively. It's not ideal, but TE will be fine.

Austin and Lenzy, if healthy can give you most of what you lost in Calypool. Skowronek is 40+ catches with some size. Keys is a wildcard, as are Wilkins, Johnson and Watts.

Purely from a pass catching standpoint, guys like Armstrong and Kyren are as natural, or better in the pass catching game as Jones was.

It will probably be a frustrating group at times, but solid none-the-less. I thi k the scoring offense will take a small step back next year, but it will still be extremely effective and might put up better advanced statistics.

Per him.

Good luck big fella! #1 TE on the NFL Draft board, with a 2nd round grade. Can't blame him one bit.

He's a fine prospect but he's not the #1 TE. Kid from Missouri will be the first off the board. I think he'll go mid 2nd to early 3rd. A good 40 time could change that.

Regardless off draft position it's a key loss and will put pressure on our young guys to step up, pretty much the theme from every poster.

Reactions: TheSodFather
Sucks not to have him back but he was not as productive for as good as he is. Book struggling over middle really limited him.

tremble flashed this year, and I think Mayer in 3 years will be better than kmet as jr.

is Mayer an EE or is he playing HS basketball, can’t remember?

to have kmet and chase and struggle to throw the ball the first 5 games vs power 5 teams is laughable.

what most likely ends up happening is ND finishes somewhere in the 25-30 range in offensive efficiency for the third year in a row.

That's a safe assumption.

Until guys like Austin and Johnson are the norm in recruiting instead of the exception it'll be more rearranging of the deck chairs on offense.

Decent players that can compete with 80% of the schedule but not good enough to compete and beat the top 20%.

A team simply can't just trot out one good receiver and a bunch of schlubs against an elite team. Need to have 3 or 4 elite viable options on the field at one time or it will all get shut down.

Reactions: chaseball
That's a safe assumption.

Until guys like Austin and Johnson are the norm in recruiting instead of the exception it'll be more rearranging of the deck chairs on offense.

Decent players that can compete with 80% of the schedule but not good enough to compete and beat the top 20%.

agreed. basically we have someone graduate and then there's usually one other star somewhere on the team/offense that people point to as the savior/scapegoat but what we *really* need is multiple stars all at once .. not just a re-arranging of the same quality of talent. thanks for expanding on this point because it was the genesis of the message I was trying to get across.

Reactions: deadprez3
Sorry fellas if I don’t care if he left or stayed no matter what.....he did what he felt was in his best interest. “I see a future Jason Witten” he is great kid and will have a great NFL career.

And to worry about next year pass catchers is ridiculous. It’s Notre Dame and there is a surplus of talent. Will they rise to the question in the only question?

Reactions: iwish and nemeth#5
Really happy for him. I love seeing our players go to the NFL and get paid. Best of luck and thanks for the awesome production at TE!

Best of luck, Kmet! Hope he has a great combine, gets selected highly, and does well at the next level as his success will be ND’s success with future recruits. ND needs to absolutely clean up recruiting prime TE thet fit Kmet’s, Eifert’s, Rudolph’s approximate demographics.

I’m a little worried about Book and Book getting to his ceiling. All QBs love their respective go-to guys, but Book loves his “go to” perhaps too much. I was hoping Kmet would be thet glue, but that Book could would improve and also hit those other weapons we’re going to have.

agreed. basically we have someone graduate and then there's usually one other star somewhere on the team/offense that people point to as the savior/scapegoat but what we *really* need is multiple stars all at once .. not just a re-arranging of the same quality of talent. thanks for expanding on this point because it was the genesis of the message I was trying to get across.

Yep.

Its like the classic cartoon where the character plugs one hole in the dam only to have another hole burst open.

And even if an Austin or Johnson is signed from time to time there is always the possibility that they will be a bust or not live up to the hype. That's why multiple viable prospects need to be signed each and every year to also protect against this phenomenon.

Currently, however, there is at least some potential for a national championship caliber offense in a few years but it will require all of Buchner, Austin (also sticking around that long), Johnson, Tyree, Styles, Colston, Mayer, etc panning out which is quite frankly not realistic. And even at that the oline would need to be adequately developed--which isn't happening right now anyways.

Contrast that with OSU where they're bringing in multiple Johnsons each and every year. For them its pretty much a foregone conclusion that they will have elite offenses because the amass so much talent that at least a few of those kids are going to materialize for them each year.

Truth is, national championships are won on the recruiting trail and teams' fate are spelled out for them well in advance (assuming the talent is accompanied with appropriate coaching).

Clemson is a good example of a program that was able to catch lightning in a bottle and had an unusually high amount of their recruits "hit". That coupled with an amazing individual talent at QB allowed them to parlay that success into now what will be regular top 5 classes every year.

Through a little luck and some great coaching (Veneables) Clemson was able to flip the paradigm and now their program can operate on autopilot for the foreseeable future assuming Dabo can continue to keep the culture under control.

As it stands now, ND under Kelly is a program that has plateaued to a top 15ish level and it would take comparable luck with recruiting "hits" and a Veneables type hire on the offensive staff (highly unlikely Kelly will want to or could execute) to flip the paradigm at ND.

His time is running out anyways and its probably more realistic that he maintains the top 15ish status to make the job attractive for a potentially elite candidate in three years.

Reactions: chaseball
This is a big loss (but Kmet made the right decision.)

Remember how anemic our offense looked before Kmet came back? After he returned we were a much better offense. Kmet was the type of player Clem, OSU, Bama put on the field. Man among boys. Got open and ran tough after the catch. Kmet and Claypool must have been a nightmare to scheme against...

Wright just didn't seem to get open and Tremble hadn't figure it out yet, I guess.

Here's hoping Wright figures it out, Tremble continues to improve or Takacs surprises and/OR Mayer is the next Rudolf/Kmet/Niklaus (and Eifert if he wanted to) a top TE, and junior to leave for the NFL (1st or 2nd rounders all).

This feels a lot like Troy Niklas, showed huge potential and upside and was poised to become a dominant college player, got overly optimistic advice and hasn’t made an impact.

Notre Dame fans are somewhat delusional about how our players will translate to next level ... it’s been a long string of players “declaring for draft” and either not getting drafted or getting picked way below where they are told.

69% of ND's receptions in 2019 won't be on the 2020 roster. It's going to be fun to watch others grow up!
LENZY will step in and be a great deep threat guy and quick slant guy.

Tremble looked really good. Creates a good mismatch against LBs.

This is interesting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.on...ate-transfers-to-notre-dame-wr-irish-graduate

Very good receiving tight end but not much of a blocker. Hoped he would come back and become a more complete player but hope he kills it in the NFL.

Very very talented young man who should enjoy a really good NFL career. We should miss his production, but I don’t think Book took advantage of the mismatches Kmet created, and so I think his numbers will be easily replaced with the trio of returning TE’s. Wishing him the best.

Reactions: echowaker
This feels a lot like Troy Niklas, showed huge potential and upside and was poised to become a dominant college player, got overly optimistic advice and hasn’t made an impact.

Notre Dame fans are somewhat delusional about how our players will translate to next level ... it’s been a long string of players “declaring for draft” and either not getting drafted or getting picked way below where they are told.

I was curious about what happened to Troy after his NFL career didn't pan out. Turns out he came back to ND in 2019 to finish up his degree program:

I don't know for certain that he finished up, but kudos to him for making the commitment to come back to finish up what he started.

Very good receiving tight end but not much of a blocker. Hoped he would come back and become a more complete player but hope he kills it in the NFL.

Agreed on his blocking. He was ok at it, but nowhere close to Tyler Eifert, for example, when he left. Brock Wright will replace that element of his game judt fine. Hopefully Tremble can give us 80% of Cole in the passing game.

Kmet will get drafted high and translates very well to the NFL

Reactions: Shulkswagen
Kmet will get drafted high and translates very well to the NFL
I hope so, I don’t watch NFL, I watch way too much college football and can’t spend another weekend day watching football. NFL guys all seem like a whole different level of freakishly athletic ... Kmet was definitely an very good college player but I didn’t see him as a man among boys against better teams ... but some of that may be his position.

I hope so, I don’t watch NFL, I watch way too much college football and can’t spend another weekend day watching football. NFL guys all seem like a whole different level of freakishly athletic ... Kmet was definitely an very good college player but I didn’t see him as a man among boys against better teams ... but some of that may be his position.
He dominated Georgia, their defense was elite. Kmet will most likely be the first drafted taken

The sign of a healthy program! Tommy Tremble, Brock Wright and Michael Mayer your time is right now fellas!

watching MM at star game practice. The staff needs to coach him to catch the ball with his hands rather than letting the ball get to his body. With his talent that should be a ‘fix’.

He looked like Gronk in the game against Georgia.

Per him.

No, he is not the #1 rated tight end and probably a 3rd round draft pick. He made a bad decision to leave and left a lot of guaranteed money on the table.

Tremble is a stud, and Brock Wright has been nothing but solid and dependable since the stepped on campus. TE will be fine.

WR....I’m mildly concerned.

No, he is not the #1 rated tight end and probably a 3rd round draft pick. He made a bad decision to leave and left a lot of guaranteed money on the table.

Lol, a bad decision? The kid has been hurt each year that he's been at ND. With a good combine he'll project into the 2nd round of a weak TE class. Given his injury history, and the physicality of the position I don't blame him for taking the millions he's going to make now.

This is not true. Hes the number 1 tight end from multiple sites. The NFL feedback was he would be a 2nd round pick. If he performs well at combine he could sneak into first. You are wrong

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT