ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson leaving ACC rumors

NDinNJ

I've posted how many times?
Nov 23, 2018
Where there's smoke....

ACC is dumb for allowing ESPN to drop this clause in the TV deal and not have one if they add teams to the conference.

"They have a media rights deal until 2036 with ESPN, but the company has a clause in the deal that if the conference drops below 15 teams, it can be renegotiated."

Someone should notice that Clemson would move from one ACC property to another.

My opinion is that joining the SEC is a trap for newcomers. You need to come in with a very high almost blue blood pedigree, like Texas. Just look at how Texas A&M struggles. Never mind Missouri.

The wild card is how NIL and transfers pan out. Right now it looks like it actually will distribute talent and create more parity. Get a coach like Sanders and you can quickly build a brand, especially if backed by boosters. Drawing players that normally might be stacked with less playing time, development, and NIL money at Alabama, Ohio State, and Clemson.

This is where brand might play a role. I don't think too many can exist within a conference. We might be going back to 1-2-4 centers of gravity in a conference, no dynasties.

Gotta say it again: ND might benefit from this trending. ND could maintain its recruiting, rounded by select transfer and NIL money for less but more qualitative key top players. Like Hartman. ND will gain slightly while most programs fall in power as talent distributes more...especially in the SEC.

Finally, yeah, I agree Clemson probably bombs on the SEC. They don't have the brand. They especially stacked and now face dilution. It should only accelerate in the SEC competing with Alabama, LSU, Florida, and a newcomer like Texas.

Joining the SEC, they would lose their elite team status with all the other so called elite teams already in the conference. "Clemsoning" won't even be needed.
I don't know about that I believe Clemson beat Bama twice to win the NC

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT