ADVERTISEMENT

Clay Helton is back!!!

I dont claim to know what's best for SC. But I think this is the right move. ND was in a similar situation two years ago. Helton deserves a chance to turn it around.

Reactions: NIN Irish
Good for him. It's disturbing that people would want someone they don't even know to lose their job on a whim, without giving it a second thought. I could care less about anything USC . I wasn't part of this USC smooch fest that has been going on the past week, in this case though, it seems like it was an appropriate decision to keep him.

Lynn Swann did the right thing here.

I'm certain he's referencing the Steelers business model of doing things. That's a good thing.

Fans of sport today have zero patience.

Some of the BK ass kissers here will say look at 88 who wants BK gone saying such a thing...

They just don't comprehend well.

Helton inherited a team...was hanging in limbo for a few months until they finally removed interim from his title. Had back to back 10 win seasons and a major bowl victory.

I think it's way too premature to be dismissing him considering the above.

His situation and BK's are light years away.

If Helton puts together two more seasons like this one then it's time to change but not until then.

Reactions: zonairish
I think ND was wearing the wrong cleats on that horrible field. The DL looked like they were on skates. Helton had a 4 and 1 from near mid-field, our DL stood zero chance of stopping that bruiser they have, and he punted. Punted. Irish scored and never looked back. Also, there were so many mistakes. This is a horrible horrible decision.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
Some of the BK ass kissers here will say look at 88 who wants BK gone saying such a thing...
So, those of us that still support Kelly are ass-kissers? By you saying that does that mean you still think ND should get rid of him? It would appear you still disapprove of him.

Lynn Swann did the right thing here.

I'm certain he's referencing the Steelers business model of doing things. That's a good thing.

Fans of sport today have zero patience.

They just don't comprehend well.

Helton inherited a team...was hanging in limbo for a few months until they finally removed interim from his title. Had back to back 10 win seasons and a major bowl victory.

I think it's way too premature to be dismissing him considering the above.

His situation and BK's are light years away.

If Helton puts together two more seasons like this one then it's time to change but not until then.

So essentially you have more faith in the SC AD decision making team than you do ND ?

Does that really make sense to you at the moment?

Think about it for a second.

Reactions: notredamerises23
Should ND have fired BK after going 4-8 a few years ago? Helton has 20 wins his first 2 full seasons, they had a ton of injuries and young players, they’ll be better next year and very good when Daniels and St. Brown are juniors. Good thing we got them in LA when he could.

Reactions: rgc7 and 88ND
Right move given how promising Daniels looks. Changing ancosch and system means he has to learn all over again and that will set him back. They’re a minimum of an 8 winnteam next year and a CFP contender the year after.

So, those of us that still support Kelly are ass-kissers? By you saying that does that mean you still think ND should get rid of him? It would appear you still disapprove of him.
That's not what that says.

The ass kissers are the ones who think he was Jesus and Christ and never in a million years would have dismissed him.

I on the other hand felt he deserved the axe twice.

Having said that I'm still ND fan first. They gave him a couple scoldings and chose to keep him. He is making the most of his third chance.

Good for him and good for us.

Two games to go.

The whole world will be watching in that first playoff game to see just how far ND has turned the corner. If in fact we turned the corner we'll know pretty damn quick IN that first playoff game.

I think BK deserves for a job well done this year.

Are there things he needs to improve...yes. special teams is shitty. Half the secondary sucks at tackling.

I'm being extra picky but we need as ckose to perfection to be elite.

We are extremely close. We might in fact be the best team in the country.

We'll find out how we measure up
Saturday December 29th

Reactions: rgc7
So essentially you have more faith in the SC AD decision making team than you do ND ?

Does that really make sense to you at the moment?

Think about it for a second.
BK and Helton situations are apples and turnips.

Helton is in year 3.
His first two he won ten games each and a rose bowl. A major bowl.

I gave Kelly a mulligan after the 2014 season.
We had an atrocious 4 game stretch playing embarrassing football in 2014.
Coming off a 8-5 2013 season.

Then 2015 came and we got better
on offense. Our defense was the worst in ND history. Embarrassing.

2016 was a debacle.
That was my threshold of the BK experiment.
38 drop backs in a hurricane. Ripping the face off his center for ****img up a shotgun snap while standing in a creek. Worse defense than 2015.

I could go on and on.

That was Year seven.

Should have been dismissed then. Right there.

He wasn't.

He got his head out of his ass and started working harder. Both sides of the ball taking more seriously.

His third chance he's making the most of it. Good for him and good for us.

Helton is in year three. Two ten win seasons and a major bowl victory. (still eluding Kelly)

Year three. That's it.

Given back to back ten win seasons and a rose bowl victory I think he should continue.

These two situations Arebt even close.

Reactions: rgc7

Helton is in year 3.

2016 was a debacle.
38 drop backs in a hurricane. Ripping the face off his center for ****img up a shotgun snap while standing in a creek. Worse defense than 2015.

I could go on and on.

That was Year seven.

He wasn't.

He got his head out of his ass and started working harder. Both sides of the ball taking more seriously.

Helton is in year three. Two ten win seasons and a major bowl victory. (still eluding Kelly)

Year three. That's it.

Given back to back ten win seasons and a rose bowl victory I think he should continue.

Drinking again?

I was just going to comment: "Poor Beach".

Poor all SC fans. Apparently the BOT said he should be fired and old Lynn said mind your own business. We will see how that works out for Swann, but whether he goes in the next few months or not I doubt SC will back away from a public commitment. Second Half Clay Stays.

Poor all SC fans. Apparently the BOT said he should be fired and old Lynn said mind your own business. We will see how that works out for Swann, but whether he goes in the next few months or not I doubt SC will back away from a public commitment. Second Half Clay Stays.
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"

The ass kissers are the ones who think he was Jesus and Christ and never in a million years would have dismissed him.

Having said that I'm still ND fan first. They gave him a couple scoldings and chose to keep him. He is making the most of his third chance.

Two games to go.

The whole world will be watching in that first playoff game to see just how far ND has turned the corner. If in fact we turned the corner we'll know pretty damn quick IN that first playoff game.

Are there things he needs to improve...yes. special teams is shitty. Half the secondary sucks at tackling.

Saturday December 29th
Okay then. I appreciate your explanation and honesty.

Must be eating again?
No...but the post is spot on. Pennick just swoops in and thriws out sarcasm. That's the extent of his contribution. Oh and thinking BVG was the greatest coach ever.

No...but the post is spot on. Pennick just swoops in and thriws out sarcasm. That's the extent of his contribution. Oh and thinking BVG was the greatest coach ever.
You're not eating? You need to eat. "The Friedman" comes and gets you at night if you don't finish your dinner.

Helton is in year 3.

2016 was a debacle.

I could go on and on.

That was Year seven.

He wasn't.

Year three. That's it.

It may be apples and oranges. Nonetheless, it sounds as though the answer to my question is that, yes, you believe that the SC Athletic Department is more thoughtful and fundamentally sound in their decion making in retaining Helton then the ND was in retaining Kelly.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I suspect both fanbases largely disagree with you

It may be apples and oranges. Nonetheless, it sounds as though the answer to my question is that, yes, you believe that the SC Athletic Department is more thoughtful and fundamentally sound in their decion making in retaining Helton then the ND was in retaining Kelly.

I’m not saying you are wrong, but I suspect both fanbases largely disagree with you
Beach disagrees with it. I know that. I may not know much but I know that.

What, exactly, would it take to convince you that he is, if not great, let’s say just good for the Program?

I mean of course he’s been good for the program. Seems like he’s really starting to build something now where we’re going to be contending every year. So time will tell just how good he is.

I’m not convinced he’s a great coach yet. But our definitions of great could be different.

Not a big fan of his offense system. Feel like we lack an identity at times, atleast quite a bit during his time here.

Two games to go.

Saturday December 29th

If sure the ND administration, Sawbrick, and Kelly feel good that @88ND thinks Kelly deserves “a job well done this year” pat on the back after deserving to be “axed twice.”

Good lord, man—listen to yourself.

BK and Helton situations are apples and turnips... These two situations Aren't even close.
I know what you are saying here and I agree with much of what you have in the body of your post, but Lynn Swann specifically cited ND's experience from 2016 as one of the main reason's he sticking with Helton. Here is what he said:

"We see top programs across the country have down years and the fans want to change coaches," Swann said. "In fact, it happened a few years ago with yesterday's opponent [Notre Dame went 4-8 in 2016], but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC."

So it looks like Swann wants to approach this the same way Swarbrick did in 2016. Retain Helton with the understanding that key changes will be made to the coaching staff and the program.

I think ND was wearing the wrong cleats on that horrible field. The DL looked like they were on skates. Helton had a 4 and 1 from near mid-field, our DL stood zero chance of stopping that bruiser they have, and he punted. Punted. Irish scored and never looked back. Also, there were so many mistakes. This is a horrible horrible decision.
That bruiser was an ND commit at one point, Admissions casualty

I mean I’m not convinced Kelly is a great coach yet.

2 undefeated seasons in the 60's,70's or 80's would be National Championship seasons for ND.
BK has a tougher road to hoe.....I'm not convinced Ara or Lou would have won a NC if a 4 team playoff was in place.

2 undefeated seasons in the 40's 50's,60's,70's or 80's would be National Championship seasons for ND.
BK has a tougher road to hoe.....I'm not convinced Ara or Lou would have won a NC if a 4 team playoff was in place.

I am. They were tremendous coaches with tremendous players.

I mean of course he’s been good for the program. Seems like he’s really starting to build something now where we’re going to be contending every year. So time will tell just how good he is.

I’m not convinced he’s a great coach yet. But our definitions of great could be different.

Not a big fan of his offense system. Feel like we lack an identity at times, atleast quite a bit during his time here.

My definition of great includes taking a team from an all time low point in it history, to 12-0 in 3 years and, against all expectations, again shortly thereafter. Given this accomplishment puts him in the company of very few other coaches in the esteemed history of ND football, I’d consider that a fair assessment of great

My definition of great includes taking a team from an all time low point in it history, to 12-0 in 3 years and, against all expectations, again shortly thereafter. Given this accomplishment puts him in the company of very few other coaches in the esteemed history of ND football, I’d consider that a fair assessment of great

He needs to show his teams can compete with and beat the very best teams. We will get to see that this year

I'm happy with Swann's decision. And I have somewhat of a personal reason for that.

He needs to show his teams can compete with and beat the very best teams. We will get to see that this year

I respect that definition. It is my belief that BK offers ND the best opportunity, right now, to compete with the best and, someday, beat the best. Given where we were prior to his arrival, it was beyond my comprehension to even consider that statement

I know what you are saying here and I agree with much of what you have in the body of your post, but Lynn Swann specifically cited ND's experience from 2016 as one of the main reason's he sticking with Helton. Here is what he said:

"We see top programs across the country have down years and the fans want to change coaches," Swann said. "In fact, it happened a few years ago with yesterday's opponent [Notre Dame went 4-8 in 2016], but that administration remained committed to their head coach, who made some key changes, worked hard to fix things and got his team to improve markedly. That will happen here at USC."

So it looks like Swann wants to approach this the same way Swarbrick did in 2016. Retain Helton with the understanding that key changes will be made to the coaching staff and the program.
I don't run around looking for quotes like a squirrel looking for acorns...who gives a shit who he's referencing..

The ultimate point is that Helton is in a third year albeit down year...but coming off two ten win years and a rose bowl win.

Kelly was in year SEVEN when the wheels fell off...a second time.

The situations are night and day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT