ADVERTISEMENT

Can Greg Hudson save Kelly ?

rgc7

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 23, 2012
I never thought that kelly was the right guy for ND, and I still do not think that he is .
I do however think that ND has a top draft pick in Kizer and our receivers are very talented.
Any kind of decent inprovement in our defense and we can still win most of our remaining games ?
If the decision has not already been made to fire Kelly at seasons end, a 5 loss team with a bowl win, and the excuse that BVG was the cause of all our problems, may save Kelly's butt ?

I really don't think anybody can fix the defense much mid-season. No way he can change terminology or implement his play book. The best case scenario is that he plays very simple, keep everything in front of them. The offense is going to have to be efficient and limit turnovers to help the defense.

I really don't think anybody can fix the defense much mid-season. No way he can change terminology or implement his play book. The best case scenario is that he plays very simple, keep everything in front of them. The offense is going to have to be efficient and limit turnovers to help the defense.
Maybe control the clock with a run game for a change.

Reactions: Java65

If they'd played that way the first 4 games, ND would be 4-0 right now. It won't take much to be competitive with most of the rest of the schedule. USC and Stanford will take some doing. Probably Miami too.

Java,
I agree with you! It will be a very difficult job for Hudson. As much as i want ND to win , I think that
Kelly leaving is the best thing that can happen ! Get in a whole new coaching staff. Hopefully, the administration has someone in mind that has a proven record of producing fundamentally sound , tough
football teams ?
the few times that I watched Kelly coach before he came to ND, I said that I thought that he was another Joe Tiller ! Guys on this board called me all type of names.
After 7 years, perhaps Tiller would have done better?

Greg Hudson isn't saving anybody if he can't come up with a way to get some kind of pressure on the QB with the defensive line.

neither can save the other.

This ND has a serious lack of talent on defense. So much so that the top Ofensive prospect in a recruiting class is playing D. And the experiment is very 'meh' as success!

neither can save the other.

This ND has a serious lack of talent on defense. So much so that the top Ofensive prospect in a recruiting class is playing D. And the experiment is very 'meh' as success!

Nobody will ever convince me that we don't have more talent than Wake Forest.

IMO, BVG never seemed to want attack what the other teams where good at. Texas ran all over ND with that stupid 3-3-5 defense. When he went with a 4-3 defense ND was stopping them 3 straight times. Then he goes back to the 3-3-5 and Texas is all over it again. If its a running team, crowd the line of scrimmage. Put 8 or 9 men in the box. BVG wanted to be cute with his defensive game plans. As much as I hate Bill Belichik he knows football and he knows that you have to take away what the opponent does best. BVG would not do that.

well, how is that relevant to the statement that ND has a need for a serious infusion of talent on defense?

are you saying the administration should seek out teams like WF to complete the schedule, so ND can be a 'success'?

I heard the stadium ushers were going to take a knee while the Victory March was being played in protest against BK and BVG but then realized that most of the ushers wouldn't be able to get back up, so, they called off the protest. Any truth to that rumor IrishJohn?

well, how is that relevant to the statement that ND has a need for a serious infusion of talent on defense?

are you saying the administration should seek out teams like WF to complete the schedule, so ND can be a 'success'?
No what I'm saying is that Wake held Duke to 14 points and 37 rushing yards. ND gave up 38 pts and 208 rushing yards. So when I hear excuses that the reason our defense is one of the worst in CFB is because of talent I categorically reject it. If our defense was at least average we would be at least 3-1 right now and possibly even 4-0.

Nobody is suggesting that ND's defense plays like Bama but there is more than enough talent for it to be at least average.

Edit. I do agree we need to recruit much better on defense to take this program to another level.

Do I think that ND has top talent on defense ? No, but I think that ND has as much or more talent than
most teams on our schedule ? Good DC's teach sound fundamentals, correct positioning of players,
make adjustments as the game progresses, etc !
I think that if Hudson can simplify things and inspire confidence and get guys better positioned and more aggressive, Perhaps he can get a few more sacks, give up less big plays, and get a few more 3 and outs
per game ?
with our offense getting a few more possessions per game and more Time of possession per game,
we can still win the majority of our games ?

regardless of scheme any talented DL who had pass rushing skills would still be able to demonstrate that skill. The ND Front 7 roster is just weak. Every week they give evidence that that is the case.
And you cannot really use 1 mutual opponent as your entire sample size.

regardless of scheme any talented DL who had pass rushing skills would still be able to demonstrate that skill. The ND Front 7 roster is just weak. Every week they give evidence that that is the case.
And you cannot really use 1 mutual opponent as your entire sample size.
Pass rush is as much about technique as it is anything else. Sure there are some freakish athletes that can do it but 99% of them need to learn it. The majority were great in HS because they simply physically dominated everyone they played against and don't really know different techniques and pass rushing skills.

We lost two games by 3 points and one game by 8 points. Just forcing one or two more 3 and outs in those games and we are perhaps 3 and 1 instead of 1 and 3 ?
Hudson does not have to perform a miracle. All he has to do is coach the defense up a notch or two !
If BVG was as bad as we all think he was , I think that Hudson may be able to get the defene up that notch or two ?

Nobody will ever convince me that we don't have more talent than Wake Forest.
We don't have Alabama or LSU defensive talent, but we have enough talent to be 50 or 60 spots higher than we are in just about every national defensive statistic.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
TWalsh,
Spot on ! I usually don't et too excited about recruiting class rankings, but everyone seem to be saying that Kelly has been very successful at recruiting ? If that is indeed the case, then we certainly
should have at least " Decent " defense players ?

recruiting rankings do not separate ranking by offense and defense.

We here on the forum have been doing that and have warned; then we were accused of yelling 'the sky is falling'.

A huge finish is defensive recruiting for this current class is the thing that could concievably save Kelly.

I never thought that kelly was the right guy for ND, and I still do not think that he is .
I do however think that ND has a top draft pick in Kizer and our receivers are very talented.
Any kind of decent inprovement in our defense and we can still win most of our remaining games ?
If the decision has not already been made to fire Kelly at seasons end, a 5 loss team with a bowl win, and the excuse that BVG was the cause of all our problems, may save Kelly's butt ?
I don't care who you got in as DC now, you're not going to do much. Also, you cannot change the talent on the field midseason. That will take years, but Kelly needs to hit a home run with his next hire at DC or he's next on the unemployment line.

We lost two games by 3 points and one game by 8 points. Just forcing one or two more 3 and outs in those games and we are perhaps 3 and 1 instead of 1 and 3 ?
Hudson does not have to perform a miracle. All he has to do is coach the defense up a notch or two !
If BVG was as bad as we all think he was , I think that Hudson may be able to get the defense up that notch or two ?
How about 50 or 60 notches! This defense, four games in, has allowed more points than any other ND team in history.

From what I have been reading on this board for the last 3 years was that BVG's system was too complex ,
in fact so complex that the defensive players never really had the time to learn and comprehend that system.
If that were the case, just brining in someone who brings in a much less complex sysrem that the players
can understand may be a hugh upgrade ?
when I taught in the classroon, my job was to simplify and make my lessons as crystal Clear as possible
so that even the less gifted students could understand what I was being paid to teach.
Same with football, players must understand their assignments so that they are in position to carry out
those assignments, Seeing every QB we play against beating us deep at will indicates to me that some one has blown his assignment.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Here's more information about ND's new DC. Notice in the last paragraph where Kelly says “I'm under review, as well. We're all in this together, all the players, coaches, everybody. So players' jobs are on the line. Every job is being evaluated as the players; all coaches' jobs are on the line as well.” How humble of him.

The inevitable is unavoidable. It just came sooner than expected at Notre Dame this fall.

Or as New England head coach Bill Belichick has said, what will be done eventually must be done immediately.

For the first time to our knowledge, the Fighting Irish football team fired an assistant during the course of the season because of underperformance. Third-year defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, who had been under heavy criticism each of his first two seasons, was relieved of his duties one day after the 38-35 home loss to Duke.

Despite head coach Brian Kelly’s public defense of VanGorder since the opening game 50-47, double-overtime loss to Texas, followed by more of the same following the 36-28 defeat to Michigan State on Sept. 17, Kelly acknowledged he “knew what he had to do” after yet another dismal performance on defense in which the Blue Devils tallied 31 points on offense and 498 total yards (208 rushing). In its two previous games, 24-14 and 24-13 losses to Wake Forest and Northwestern, Duke totaled a combined 27 points and 154 yards rushing.

Although Kelly defended VanGorder’s defense by saying it was not as complicated as has often been written, he admitted there might have been too much paralysis by analysis in the system when he made closer evaluations in last week’s practices after taking on a greater supervisory role on that side of the ball.

He also believed too many players were getting way too many lion’s shares of the snaps, which has a residual effect during the course of the season and takes its toll in November. Kelly envisions tweaking not only some elements of the defense, but also finding correct positions for the personnel better tailored to their skill level and specific talents.

Above all, he wants to see joy on the practice field and on game day. The reality is VanGorder’s NFL approach was a palpable pall in the air that left players constricted while trying to find room to breathe. Former Notre Dame head coaches Joe Kuharich (1959-62) and Charlie Weis (2005-09) both brought the NFL touch to the college game, and it failed at unprecedented levels. The same happened with VanGorder’s NFL-like approach to a college game.

“I need to see our guys play fast, free and loose, excitement on the field, not be so mechanical and robotic,” Kelly said. “Let it go and let it happen.”

Few personnel movements in Notre Dame football go undetected, but the arrival of Greg Hudson last summer was as under the radar as they come. Fired as Purdue’s defensive coordinator at the end of a 2-10 season last year, Hudson was seen at a Notre Dame practice last spring as a visitor after having been in coaching for a quarter century.

“Any time that you can bring on experienced coaches to your staff, I'm going to look to do that,” said Kelly of adding to Notre Dame’s support staff. “Greg was available to work here in that capacity, and we jumped at it.”

News stories this June featured the hiring of former Notre Dame All-American defensive back Jeff Burris (1990-93) as a defensive analyst, but nary a word about Hudson, who also was brought on board over the summer.

Recruited in head coach Gerry Faust’s final Notre Dame class in 1985, Hudson joined players such as 1988 national champion team captains Andy Heck, Mark Green and Ned Bolcar in that freshman haul. Hudson saw limited action in 1986 and 1987 as a backup linebacker or on special teams, but he did not play as a senior, and eventually joined the baseball team as a catcher, too.

“Loves Notre Dame, knows Notre Dame,” Kelly said of Hudson. “He's got great spirit on the defensive side of the ball, and bringing him here we're looking for some more experience and brain power and we got that.

“I thought Greg was the perfect fit to bring that energy level up to where I want to see it. Guys played hard, but we lacked some of the energy and enthusiasm and fun, quite frankly, that you need to have when you're playing on defense.”

Hudson’s dossier is replete with connections to Notre Dame:

• He was a graduate assistant on head coach Lou Holtz’s 1993 team that finished 11-1 and No. 2 in the country.

• From 1994-96, Hudson was the offensive line coach for Skip Holtz, Lou’s son, at Connecticut. The two reunited at East Carolina from 2005-09 when Hudson was the younger Holtz’s defensive coordinator and linebackers coach during a successful five seasons with the Pirates.

• From 1997-2000, he served under Cincinnati head coach Rick Minter — Notre Dame’s defensive coordinator in 1992-93 and 2005-06 — in various roles, starting on offense before moving to defense and being promoted to assistant head coach.

Under head coach Glen Mason, Hudson was a recruiting coordinator and defensive coordinator at Minnesota from 2001-04, highlighted by a 10-3 season in 2003 before rejoining Holtz at East Carolina.

Hired by new Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher in 2010, Hudson’s job title with the Seminoles was assistant head coach and linebackers coach the next three seasons, which included an 18-14 Champs Sports Bowl victory over the Irish in 2011.

When Darrell Hazell was named Purdue’s head coach in 2013, he selected Hudson as his defensive coordinator. Unfortunately, a 6-30 record from 2013-15 while the Boilermakers finished 95th, 83rd and 111th in total defense led to the firing of Hudson and other staff members at the end of 2015.

As the interim defensive coordinator, Hudson’s mandate will be to follow Kelly’s lead and directive on that side of the ball. Because he was at August camp with the team, Hudson has knowledge of the personnel, but most of his job description has had him involved in the film room. The hope is he can bring a "college touch" to the players.

“This will be a new relationship that he'll be building with the defensive players,” Kelly said. “We want to keep terminology effectively the same, but you'll see some certain tweaks that I feel like are necessary and some things that I know that as a group, that we will collectively come to an agreement in our best interests."

Kelly told Hudson the same as he did his entire staff and players: Each game is now a weekly audition of earning a “starting role” on the 2017 Notre Dame team. This includes Kelly.

“Everybody's interviewing,” Kelly said. “Everybody on our staff is on a very public interview. So everybody's got a chance to continue in their roles, and we'll all have that very public interview as we play each and every week.

“I'm under review, as well. We're all in this together, all the players, coaches, everybody. So players' jobs are on the line. Every job is being evaluated as the players; all coaches' jobs are on the line as well.”

Benching Kizer might be the best thing that can happen to Kizer.
He will not suffer in the eyes of the NFL scouts; they will just chalk it up to Kelly being Kelly!
He will be a 1st rounder.
He will avoid potential injury.
He doesn't have to endure Kelly's incredibly inappropriate sideline antics which border on a total loss of self control.

win win win win : Grand Slam.

on the other hand, Wimbush, you better know how to duck! BK will be slinging S#%t

Benching Kizer might be the best thing that can happen to Kizer.
He will not suffer in the eyes of the NFL scouts; they will just chalk it up to Kelly being Kelly!
He will be a 1st rounder.
He will avoid potential injury.
He doesn't have to endure Kelly's incredibly inappropriate sideline antics which border on a total loss of self control.

win win win win : Grand Slam.

on the other hand, Wimbush, you better know how to duck! BK will be slinging S#%t

Pers,
I think that if Kelly is on the hot seat, he plays Kizer, but I think that Wimbush should definately
get more playing time when ever the opportunity is there to get him in the game.
I also think that is Zaire can be moved to another position it might be the best thing for him, because
If he has NFL ambitions, I don 't see him getting there as a QB ?

Hudson's def at Purdue were ranked among the worst in college football. He may have better asst and players at ND but records speak for themselves.

^ note on MZ
never a position change; on this board I was taken to task for suggesting that. It was from a source very close to MZ.

My post was what I thought was best for DK, not what was best for BK.

being named DC of the ND defense is like being named the Police Chief in Jaurez City Mexico.

Reactions: zonairish
Completely...no.

But major improvement? Yes in one week.

Tackling. Just shit can schemes for one week and spend every minute on technique or tackling and covering. D lineman , hand fighting, leverage, etc.

That alone will net us a huge improvement.

Moreover we are so bad, when you are ranked 100 ..just a little bit of improvement will collectively be a big improvement. If you know what I mean

Pers,
I think that if Kelly is on the hot seat, he plays Kizer, but I think that Wimbush should definately
get more playing time when ever the opportunity is there to get him in the game.
I also think that is Zaire can be moved to another position it might be the best thing for him, because
If he has NFL ambitions, I don 't see him getting there as a QB ?
Yep...been saying it since last year.

He needed moved to safety.

#1 he is hard headed. Anyone who knows football understands what I'm talking about. He will stick his nose in the head banging area and ask for seconds. Not just everyone will do that. Our own Jaylon was amazing but an inside backer he was not. A position where headaches are not optional if you play the position proper.

Zaire has no problem banging heads so to speak. I'm telling you he'd be a great safety❕❕❕ hard hitting and read and recognition having played QB.

Move Tranquill up to a rover type backer and let Zaire play strong safety and hit hard❕

Reactions: IrishBlessings
MZ does not have the foot speed to play DB.
He will graduate ND and play a 5th year as a starter for a top team; elsewheres.
He loves football, he envisions himself at QB leading a team.
That is the whole of the matter.

Completely...no.

But major improvement? Yes in one week.

Tackling. Just shit can schemes for one week and spend every minute on technique or tackling and covering. D lineman , hand fighting, leverage, etc.

That alone will net us a huge improvement.

Moreover we are so bad, when you are ranked 100 ..just a little bit of improvement will collectively be a big improvement. If you know what I mean
You can't go into the game without a scheme. How does a CB know when he's getting S help and when he isn't? How does a LB know his game assignment?

Also, you aren't going to go from a terrible tackling team to a good tackling team in 1,2 or 3 weeks. A lot of those things you need to do in spring and fall.

You can't go into the game without a scheme. How does a CB know when he's getting S help and when he isn't? How does a LB know his game assignment?

Also, you aren't going to go from a terrible tackling team to a good tackling team in 1,2 or 3 weeks. A lot of those things you need to do in spring and fall.
Easy killer...
That was tongue in cheek.

Of course we need some scheme...

But I would bet you I could have them improved on tackling in one week. Not all the way there and polished but major strides toward good tackling ..yes.
It really won't take very long to go over that. Once they get it...it's a matter of repetition.

So while we can't expect them to be the 1985 bears .. if the right person is put in place..even an assistant for now that understands the importance of good tackling. ...we can improve drastically.

Reactions: Java65
I heard the stadium ushers were going to take a knee while the Victory March was being played in protest against BK and BVG but then realized that most of the ushers wouldn't be able to get back up, so, they called off the protest. Any truth to that rumor IrishJohn?
Why yes the rumor is true. I tried to take a knee but I fell over getting back up!

Easy killer...
That was tongue in cheek.

Of course we need some scheme...

But I would bet you I could have them improved on tackling in one week. Not all the way there and polished but major strides toward good tackling ..yes.
It really won't take very long to go over that. Once they get it...it's a matter of repetition.

So while we can't expect them to be the 1985 bears .. if the right person is put in place..even an assistant for now that understands the importance of good tackling. ...we can improve drastically.
LOL.. I didn't notice you using the sarcasm font. ;)

Hudson's def at Purdue were ranked among the worst in college football. He may have better asst and players at ND but records speak for themselves.
Remember Purdue is a dumpster firer. Always has been that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT