ADVERTISEMENT

Camp Talk

They are not talented enough to win big time at this level without Dex. Go ahead crucify me
So a guy with about 20 career carries is our savior and without him we have no chance of winning any games? Got it.

Stating that Mack has disappointed (on the field) more than 1x would qualify as disinformation, imo. It's just untrue.

If that's the discussion you're referring to.
What has he done to earn your trust?

He's underwhelmed on the field. Off the field, he's had academic issues that cost him a full season, and he was suspended for the Citrus Bowl game. Those actions don't garner trust.

At ND- you need to be able to get it done on the field and off the field...Mack has done neither, thus far.

I'll support the guy, and I hope like hell that he burns Michigan for 8 catches 100 yards and a touchdown in a few weeks. I'd be thrilled if he proved me wrong.

But thus far, Mack has done nothing to make me think....."wow, we're set with a winner at TE".

He's not Mustipher, or Bars, or Love, or Tranquil, or Claypool, or Coney, or Tillery, or Kraemer.....stop treating him like it.

Actually I agree with both of you. I agree with your stated facts, and like 409, I hope you're 100% right with your conclusion. I hope BW can deliver the ball accurately to all three TEs. The three need to step up big this season for ND. Frankly, ND needs many players to step up and perform like they did in the 1964 season. I'm just disappointed in the combative tone found throughout the threads these days. It's why I don't post much anymore.

Reactions: cancandodo
What has he done to earn your trust?

He's underwhelmed on the field. Off the field, he's had academic issues that cost him a full season, and he was suspended for the Citrus Bowl game. Those actions don't garner trust.

At ND- you need to be able to get it done on the field and off the field...Mack has done neither, thus far.

I'll support the guy, and I hope like hell that he burns Michigan for 8 catches 100 yards and a touchdown in a few weeks. I'd be thrilled if he proved me wrong.

But thus far, Mack has done nothing to make me think....."wow, we're set with a winner at TE".

He's not Mustipher, or Bars, or Love, or Tranquil, or Claypool, or Coney, or Tillery, or Kraemer.....stop treating him like it.
You are deeply confused.

When have I said that he's on the level of trust/certainty of Bars, Mustipher, or Coney?

I have simply pointed out that your claims that Mack has had multiple disappointing seasons (on the field) is not true....and that there is absolutely no basis, whatsoever, to "trust" Kmet or Wright more than Mack, because he had done more than either of them at the same stage in their career and more than them in the most recent season.

If you want to claim "I'm worried about him being eligible due to academics", that's fine. From all reports, that's an unfounded and unnecessary concern.......but you can have it if you want to.

But your criticisms of him on the field and your preference for other, less proven, TEs are unfounded.

We certainly don't have the proof/guarantee at TE that we do at OG, C, DT, ILB, etc. .... but there are lots of reasons to LOVE the potential we have at TE and numerous reasons to believe that we'll see that potential achieved on the field.

I'm just calling out the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in your criticisms of Mack

Reactions: Ara64
You are deeply confused.

When have I said that he's on the level of trust/certainty of Bars, Mustipher, or Coney?

I have simply pointed out that your claims that Mack has had multiple disappointing seasons (on the field) is not true....and that there is absolutely no basis, whatsoever, to "trust" Kmet or Wright more than Mack, because he had done more than either of them at the same stage in their career and more than them in the most recent season.

If you want to claim "I'm worried about him being eligible due to academics", that's fine. From all reports, that's an unfounded and unnecessary concern.......but you can have it if you want to.

But your criticisms of him on the field and your preference for other, less proven, TEs are unfounded.

We certainly don't have the proof/guarantee at TE that we do at OG, C, DT, ILB, etc. .... but there are lots of reasons to LOVE the potential we have at TE and numerous reasons to believe that we'll see that potential achieved on the field.

I'm just calling out the inaccuracies and inconsistencies in your criticisms of Mack
That's a fair, reasonable response.

I just hope he can kick UM's ass. We need him!!

Reactions: Ara64
What I’ve said so far isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact, so of course I’m right.
  • - Mack had a good Frosh season
  • - Mack has only been eligible for 2 seasons
  • - Mack had a better Frosh season than either Kmet or Wright
  • - Mack had a better 2017 season than either Kmet or Wright
  • - Mack has only had 1 season that was disappointing (on the field)
  • - Part of that season was due to inconsistent QB play
Which one of those would you even try to debate?

As for whether he’ll become the elite pass catching TE that we all want him to become, now that is an opinion and one we could discuss.

But so far, there is absolutely nothing that has suggested that Kmet and Wright are better than Mack or that Mack has repeatedly disappointed on the field.
Mack has seriously disappointed...on and off the field.

Mack has seriously disappointed...on and off the field.

Mack had had 1 disappointing season, on the field. And even then, he was only disappointing in the passing game, he was actually better than expected as a blocker.

Those are facts.

I recall a couple of times that he went head-to-head with Bradley Chubb, primarily in the run game.

And as good as Michigan's DE's are in 2018, Bradley Chubb was better.

This OL and these TE's have already seen numerous ELITE lineman and linebackers.
If the implication that Mack can go one on one against elite DE's and that is NOT what he does best then he will be a top ten draft pick next year. Pass catching TE's that are dominant run blockers that are receiving threats are the rarest of beasts. But considering that his weight is listed at 245 pounds implies a bit of hyperbole. But don't disagree on the athletic potential. His SPARC score is impressive.

Reactions: jorg96
If the implication that Mack can go one on one against elite DE's and that is NOT what he does best then he will be a top ten draft pick next year. Pass catching TE's that are dominant run blockers that are receiving threats are the rarest of beasts. But considering that his weight is listed at 245 pounds implies a bit of hyperbole. But don't disagree on the athletic potential. His SPARC score is impressive.

He has gone against elite DE's already, such as 2017's #5 Overall Pick Bradley Chubb. No inference there, that's a fact that can be verified by video evidence.

Mack hasn't been a dominant run blocker, but he's been a good one, and has been a good one against elite competition.

Mack also has elite tools as a pass catcher and has flashed his passing game chops, but he's been inconsistent there....especially with Wimbush at QB (who was often inaccurate and frequently overlooked the receivers in the middle of the field)

As usual, almost every single thing you've posted is flat-out wrong.

Congrats on keeping your streak alive.

Today's MVPs are: Offense-Sam Mustipher, Defense-Shaun Crawford, and ST-Nick Coleman. Congratulations on a job well done.

Today's MVPs are: Offense-Sam Mustipher, Defense-Shaun Crawford, and ST-Nick Coleman. Congratulations on a job well done.

Does that make Coleman the 1st to get 2 MVPs?
(1 on D and 1 on ST)

I haven’t paid much attention to his blocking and it very well might be true that he’s a good blocker, but he has underwhelmed in the passing game and has multiple drops. He’s done nothing special in the least so far but that doesn’t mean he can’t turn it around. Kmet will be much better, imo.

Reactions: IrishMike409
He has won it two days in a row. Yesterday in shoulder pads and today in full pads.

I haven’t paid much attention to his blocking and it very well might be true that he’s a good blocker, but he has underwhelmed in the passing game and has multiple drops. He’s done nothing special in the least so far but that doesn’t mean he can’t turn it around. Kmet will be much better, imo.

I find it funny that people claim Mack did nothing as a Frosh, but are fine with Kmet's and Wright's Frosh years.

Mack had 5 different INDIVIDUAL GAMES as a Frosh where he caught more passes/yards than Kmet and Wright did ALL YEAR, COMBINED

Hard to see why people are okay with Kmet/Wright's frosh years, but find Mack's disappointing

I find it funny when people defend Mack’s play so far. It’s been sub-par in the passing game. Also, kmet’s frosh year had wimbush throwing him the ball, Mack had the better passing qb Kiser throwing to him. Plus, the offense threw the ball about 3-4 times more per game mack’s freshman year than it did last season under long. I’ve seen drops from Mack, I haven’t seen any from kmet yet. That’s the biggest reason why I’m okay was his less than stellar stats from his freshman year opposed to Mack’s less than average receiving production so far. Like I said though, he may very well be a good blocking te, and he may turn it around in the receiving dept, and I hope he does, but so far, I’m not overly impressed w/ him, especially considering his 5 star recruiting ranking.

I find it funny when people defend Mack’s play so far. It’s been sub-par in the passing game. Also, kmet’s frosh year had wimbush throwing him the ball, Mack had the better passing qb Kiser throwing to him. Plus, the offense threw the ball about 3-4 times more per game mack’s freshman year than it did last season under long. I’ve seen drops from Mack, I haven’t seen any from kmet yet. That’s the biggest reason why I’m okay was his less than stellar stats from his freshman year opposed to Mack’s less than average receiving production so far. Like I said though, he may very well be a good blocking te, and he may turn it around in the receiving dept, and I hope he does, but so far, I’m not overly impressed w/ him, especially considering his 5 star recruiting ranking.

Mack was better with Wimbush as a QB than Kmet was.

And their Frosh years weren't even close. Mack produce almost 10x more than Kmet.

So far, Mack has been better both receiving passes and in-line blocking....so why are people so confident in Kmet and so down on Mack?

I don't know who, if any of them, will achieve their elite potential.....but so far, Mack is the most proven in every phase of the game.

You are deeply confused.

Mack flAt out has sucked. He’s done nothing. Zero
I watched the usc game other night. Ball went right thru his hands on what would have been a huge play

Bust so far. In the club with Carlos Pierre Antoine

Mack had had 1 disappointing season, on the field. And even then, he was only disappointing in the passing game, he was actually better than expected as a blocker.

Those are facts.
He has been a disappointment on and off the field.

Mack flAt out has sucked. He’s done nothing. Zero
I watched the usc game other night. Ball went right thru his hands on what would have been a huge play

Bust so far. In the club with Carlos Pierre Antoine
CPA ? blast from the past. Bigger bust CPA or Mike Mcnair ?

unfortunate but true.
He has been a disappointment because he has potential to be a Jordan Reed/Evan Engram difference maker TE. Lack of on the field and off the field focus and effort have prevented that. He has made meaningful plays so he isn't a complete bust that hasn't done anything. This year is his chance to shine, if not this year, then probably never.

He has been a disappointment because he has potential to be a Jordan Reed/Evan Engram difference maker TE. Lack of on the field and off the field focus and effort have prevented that. He has made meaningful plays so he isn't a complete bust that hasn't done anything. This year is his chance to shine, if not this year, then probably never.
Seems like Mack and Dexter are in the same boat. put up or shut up time. The money train is on the horizon. How bad do they want it ?

Lou Holtz and his three rules of leadership. 1) Can I trust you? 2) Are you committed? 3) Do you care about me? I'm believing these three important questions could be asked of Dex and Mack. I'm pulling 100% for both of these Domers. Do your very best. That's all anyone can ask.

“Mack was better with Wimbush as a QB than Kmet was.

And their Frosh years weren't even close. Mack produce almost 10x more than Kmet.

So far, Mack has been better both receiving passes and in-line blocking....so why are people so confident in Kmet and so down on Mack?

I don't know who, if any of them, will achieve their elite potential.....but so far, Mack is the most proven in every phase of the game.”

Kmet was a true frosh last year & Mack was a 3rd year player so it’s expected for the latter to outperform the former. Their freshman years are not comparable because they didn’t get anywhere near the same opportunities in the passing game. If they had, I believe kmet would’ve performed better, (which isn’t saying much since Mack has been below average in the passing game). He has proven to be unreliable in the passing game so I disagree that he’s “the most proven in every phase of the game”. Like I said, he’ll have the opportunity to shine this year and he very well might because all of us can see the potential, but up until now, he’s been a disappointment (in the passing game). We haven’t seen enough of kmet in opportunistic situations to make a sound evaluation on him yet. Comparing them now is too early. We’ll have a better idea after this season. I’m hoping that they both perform at an elite level and that position is back to where it has been throughout the years
(TE U).

Lou Holtz and his three rules of leadership. 1) Can I trust you? 2) Are you committed? 3) Do you care about me? I'm believing these three important questions could be asked of Dex and Mack. I'm pulling 100% for both of these Domers. Do your very best. That's all anyone can ask.
absolutely. ND is a much better team with those guys having their heads on straight than not. Talent is not the issue.

Seems like Mack and Dexter are in the same boat. put up or shut up time. The money train is on the horizon. How bad do they want it ?
By practice reports it looks/sounds like Mack has a little more control over his destiny while Dexter is working his way back in to good graces/suspension, etc.

Thinking outside the box, if he is suspended 4 games, do you then only play him in 4 games to preserve a year of eligibility? I highly doubt it, from the coaches or his perspective. I bet he wants to graduate and move on. But it's something you can consider moving forward with the right player.

A couple of things:

1) Mack was a 4 Star, not 5 Star. (In Composite, Rivals, 247, etc...)

2) Mack hasn’t “sucked,” not even close. LOL
He hasn’t been an AA player, but he definitely hasn’t sucked.

3) He actually has two more years left if he wanted (he won’t come back because he hates school), but what if he had a really good year this year & came back next year & did again? Then what?

A couple of things:

3) He actually has two more years left if he wanted (he won’t come back because he hates school), but what if he had a really good year this year & came back next year & did again? Then what?

He actually had the best True Frosh by an ND TE in quite a while.

You probably have to go back to Kyle Rudolph in 2008 to find a better True Frosh year by an ND TE.

A lot goes into that, but still......people keep trying to claim that he was terrible as a Frosh, an it's laughable.

He had a rough 2017 in the passing game, while actually be surprisingly good in the run game. That's it for "on-field" disappointments.

“Mack was better with Wimbush as a QB than Kmet was.

I don't know who, if any of them, will achieve their elite potential.....but so far, Mack is the most proven in every phase of the game.”

Kmet was a true frosh last year & Mack was a 3rd year player so it’s expected for the latter to outperform the former. Their freshman years are not comparable because they didn’t get anywhere near the same opportunities in the passing game. If they had, I believe kmet would’ve performed better, (which isn’t saying much since Mack has been below average in the passing game). He has proven to be unreliable in the passing game so I disagree that he’s “the most proven in every phase of the game”. Like I said, he’ll have the opportunity to shine this year and he very well might because all of us can see the potential, but up until now, he’s been a disappointment (in the passing game). We haven’t seen enough of kmet in opportunistic situations to make a sound evaluation on him yet. Comparing them now is too early. We’ll have a better idea after this season. I’m hoping that they both perform at an elite level and that position is back to where it has been throughout the years
(TE U).

Nothing but excuses for Kmet and nothing but criticism for Mack......for about the same things.

Mack has outperformed Kmet in every meaningful way thus far in their careers (same stage, last year, every phase of the game, etc.)

This narrative is just illogical.

A couple of things:

mack hasn't sucked i agree. he's been pretty pedestrian in my opinion though. nothing special.

I find it funny that people claim Mack did nothing as a Frosh, but are fine with Kmet's and Wright's Frosh years.

Mack had 5 different INDIVIDUAL GAMES as a Frosh where he caught more passes/yards than Kmet and Wright did ALL YEAR, COMBINED

Hard to see why people are okay with Kmet/Wright's frosh years, but find Mack's disappointing
Alize Mack= Andrew Trumbetti

I literally wouldn’t care one bit if he transferred suddenly to Michigan. Zero trust in that human hype machine

Alize Mack= Andrew Trumbetti

I literally wouldn’t care one bit if he transferred suddenly to Michigan. Zero trust in that human hype machine

Considering how stupid your opinions almost always are, this opinion seems pretty par for the course.

Thank God we don’t have people like you making decisions that impact the team in anyway.

Considering how stupid your opinions almost always are, this opinion seems pretty par for the course.

Thank God we don’t have people like you making decisions that impact the team in anyway.
I will legitimately bet you $1000 dollars Mack has under 500 yards. All hype no hands and a few suspensions mixed in there.

But go ahead, you tell me genius. What gives you confidence in Alize? Is it his 166 yards last year or his one touchdown after tweeting #tictoc the whole offseason as if he was about to explode. Was it his year long suspension in 16 that has you so excited for him? Or is it the last game in the citrus bowl where he... oh wait wasn’t he suspended again?

So go ahead give me an answer. Is it
A- the 166 yards
B- his 1 TD
C- his year long suspension in 2016
D- his most recent game where he winds up being somehow suspended for the Citrus Bowl

Oh wait maybe... it’s because he was a high recruit which is what you claim you care nothing about. I’ll be expecting an answer... #TicToc

But go ahead, you tell me genius. What gives you confidence in Alize? Is it his 166 yards last year or his one touchdown after tweeting #tictoc the whole offseason as if he was about to explode. Was it his year long suspension in 16 that has you so excited for him? Or is it the last game in the citrus bowl where he... oh wait wasn’t he suspended again?

So go ahead give me an answer. Is it
A- the 166 yards
B- his 1 TD
C- his year long suspension in 2016
D- his most recent game where he winds up being somehow suspended for the Citrus Bowl

Oh wait maybe... it’s because he was a high recruit which is what you claim you care nothing about. I’ll be expecting an answer... #TicToc

Who said I have confidence in him?
He’s a boom/bust player, with absolutely massive potential but also a very real risk of busting.

But I love the physical tools that he’s shown and his willingness to be a physical player (especially blocking). Not his recruiting ranking, but his actual tools and flashes.

You never disregard someone with that much potential...especially not when he’s actually your most proven and experienced player at his position (by far).

That is what made your post so unbelievably stupid.

I’ll expect your response....
(though we all know that will be stupid too)

Who said I have confidence in him?
He’s a boom/bust player, with absolutely massive potential but also a very real risk of busting.

But I love the physical tools that he’s shown and his willingness to be a physical player (especially blocking). Not his recruiting ranking, but his actual tools and flashes.

You never disregard someone with that much potential...especially not when he’s actually your most proven and experienced player at his position (by far).

That is what made your post so unbelievably stupid.

I’ll expect your response....
(though we all know that will be stupid too)
Okay a couple more questions, just because I have to remind myself every day what I’m dealing with here.

1- Was Ezekial Elliot a key to Ohio State winning a national title?
2- Is Kofi Wardlow the most athletic and highest potential defensive lineman on the team?

Okay a couple more questions, just because I have to remind myself every day what I’m dealing with here.

1- Was Ezekial Elliot a key to Ohio State winning a national title?
2- Is Kofi Wardlow the most athletic and highest potential defensive lineman on the team?

Yeah, I didn’t think you would be able to respond.
I know the conversation is way beyond your pay grade.

It’s okay to admit how stupid your post wasn’t.

“A key”? Sure. He was one of the factors, but he was far from the most important. He plays RB, so his impact is limited. Far less important that the QB(s), the OL, the DL, etc.

I’ve never said Warow has the highest ceiling in the roster, just one of them. He and Ade have great ceilings, among the young DEs. No point in comparing to the older guys, because he’ll never okay with them.
Wardlow is a great athlete and a good development recruit (as was Ade)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT