ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner to enter the transfer portal???

Tyler Buchner is a good kid. I hope he decides to stay, if he leaves, I’ll certainly be rooting for him.

The truth is that he hasn’t shown anything in his time at ND to prove he should be a starter. We have high expectations here. He’s a decent runner. Some on the board post that he’s basically Michael Vick. He’s not. I don’t even see him as much more effective than Ian Book when running the ball. Both solid, nothing exceptional. The difference is Ian could read a defense, go through a progression, and make good decision throwing the ball. “Dual-Threat” is only effective when the players excels in both categories.

Sam Hartman was more effective in 1.5 quarters in a spring game than I have ever seen from Buchner in college. If anyone disagrees, then they’re still caught up on his high school highlight tape.
That's reasonable, because he has some pretty impressive junior year HS clips. Especially passing, where he at least displayed some gorgeous throws and effortless arm talent. Which is not the same thing as going through progressions and making the right reads it must be said.

And you're right, I don't think he's really any better of a runner than Book. Maybe a little more gung ho about it....

Steve Angeli is better. Buchner is better off going to his friend at Bama. Turnover Tyler can play for Turnover Tommy.

I hope freeman convinces him to stay. He needs to play this year too. Have some situational packages for him . He’s one injury away from being the starter. Jmo.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
If he knows what’s good for him he won’t go to Bama. He will not keep the job there. If they’re that bad at QB that they need Tyler Buchner they’re in a bad place from where they’ve been in recent history. Stanford would be a viable option.

The good news is perhaps we can snag some receivers away from Bama. Who wants to play WR for Tyler Buchner?

Last edited:
Reactions: NDblitz
What do you mean, OK Felicia. You're the effin' raving meathead. Don't try to put on someone else. You're the douchebag here, not our coaches for failing to develop a younger QB. God damn I've never seen such a worthless know-it-all windbag like you....
“Raving meathead”? My word. What do you look like? I can’t even imagine.

These are horribly bad takes. Young guys make mistakes. You have to play them out of it...especially dual threat guys. Nd fails to commit to starting young players at QB. The idea you think this will change with minchey next year is laughable. More than likely we get another transfer... Minchey leaves and the cycle continues.
The QB coach has barely been here. So that falls more on Tommy than him. Rees had him longer and could've adjusted his throwing style but he didn't. So I fail to see where the new QB coach could be at fault.Angeli,Minchey and Carr will be better than Pyne and Buchner were. Tyler ran really well but even close passes he was usually low or high on.Best of luck to him because he is a great young man.

Reactions: melstew
Really like the kid but this is good for him and for ND. While he made some nice plays, he never made good plays with any consistency. Sam is going to make the right play sooo much more. And, TB is not going to Alabama, he is headed somewhere like Tulane or Temple or Rice. In good programs, there is supposed to be some downward mobility from, and upward mobility to, the roster. This is what it looks like IMHO.

Freeman to receiver recruit: Yeah, we have Sam Hartman and CJ Carr. Oh, do not forget about Minchey and Angeli.

Recruit: Wow, that’s quite the haul. I like Bama too, coach.

Freeman: Oh, you mean the team that is looking at our clear backup QB? Yeah, I wouldn’t go there, man.

If he knows what’s good for him he won’t go to Bama. He will not keep the job there. If they’re that bad at QB that they need Tyler Buchner they’re in a bad place from where they’ve been in recent history. Stanford would be a viable option.
Stanford would be an interesting choice. Their new head coach, Troy Taylor had dramatically improved QB play every place he has coached. I think Taylor prefers a more pro pocket style of play, but I suspect there will be some level of mutual interest.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Freeman to receiver recruit: Yeah, we have Sam Hartman and CJ Carr. Oh, do not forget about Minchey and Angeli.

Recruit: Wow, that’s quite the haul. I like Bama too, coach.

Freeman: Oh, you mean the team that is looking at our clear backup QB? Yeah, I wouldn’t go there, man.
Interesting that Freeman left the door open for Buchner. Obviously...anywhere Buchner may land would assume he is positioned to start. Transferring with the potential to lose out in another competition seems unlikely. I would expect him to travel west. Just a guess. Prior to this announcement, I was again focusing on my concern about Buchner getting hurt. That liability, imo, will not change. It just seems to be a part of his game.

Visiting Bama tonight. Sad to see, TB falls in line of a over a decade of highly regarded QBs out of high school that either never succeeded at ND or transferred out. Maybe they are wise in snagging guys that were developed elsewhere and bringing them in for a year.

Golson
Wimbush
Crist
Zaire
Kiel
Pyne

Reactions: NDSMC78 and mirer03
He's isn't gone yet... He is looking at options. I don't see him as an immediate starter at many div 1 schools who want to compete this year. However, I always thought he would be a great fit at Stanford -- their current QBs combine for one career start -- and Troy Taylor wants them to play fast...

Otherwise, why would he leave -- unless he believes he'll be beat out in 24 by Angeli, Minchey or CJ? It will be his job to lose.

Kid should stick it out , get his degree , then make a decision next season. Jmo.
Exactly. He is one play, one twisted ankle on a stair away from starting. If he has any confidence in himself he will grow, learn get better and be ready to go next year to win the job over a kid fresh out of high school and Minchey.

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

Coaches aren't as committed as they should have been.

Lots of changes. So he's shopping. This is similar to Phil j... ND got a talented guy and failed him at every level of development. Dual threat guys need to play.

Now they get to look in a portal for next year to compete with minchey....and then he can transfer.... Then carr...

They have created this farsical nonsense where they aren't committing to youNG guys and keep dangling a carrot of starting for one year. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY.

similar to where wrs were...
Anyone dumb enough to buy that garbage about the Jerk is not worth listening too.

So its EVERYONE ELSE'S FAULT BUT BUCHNERS?

So where is personal responsibility? Sounds like just another example of woke BS where EVERYONE is ALWAYS a victim

Reactions: Pennick4
Bama board is blowing up on another site. They re reading to punt TR and no one wants Buckner.

Interesting that Freeman left the door open for Buchner. Obviously...anywhere Buchner may land would assume he is positioned to start. Transferring with the potential to lose out in another competition seems unlikely. I would expect him to travel west. Just a guess. Prior to this announcement, I was again focusing on my concern about Buchner getting hurt. That liability, imo, will not change. It just seems to be a part of his game.
Freeman did him right. He could’ve lied to him until fall and told him he was going to win the job. I wouldn’t be surprised if Freeman had his eye on a potential transfer for 2023 and even 2024. Either that or he’s sees CJ as a true game changer.

I’d trade 3 years of Buchner rather than 1 with Hartman.
I just don't see the Buchner thing. I know a lot of posters were high on him in 2021. When compared to Coen, who couldn't outrun a blob of cold molasses, he did show some promise. But I can't think of a single game he played in (more than a couple of plays), where he didn't make some wildly bad throws.

I hate to see any player leave, but I have not seen him as anything more than a backup or situational player since midway through the 2021 season.

I wonder how the spring practices went that the media was not allowed to see? Me thinks TB had to know that SH was better then him.

I wonder how the spring practices went that the media was not allowed to see? Me thinks TB had to know that SH was better then him.
Well the funny thing is that there were "reports" of Buchner killing it in practice and Hartman was struggling and Freeman said he was non-commital on starting a QB. Ha!

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
Bama's elite receivers and solid O line would make Buchner's pedestrian passing look better than average. Their instant separation would give him targets he won't find in other places...including ND. He doesn't have the accuracy to get the kind of production out of average receivers (who lack blazing speed and range). Problem is....Buchner can't stay healthy no matter where he plays. Bama would use him situationally. He is not a starter.

ND does not have elite receivers...and what we do have is young. The quarterback has got to find them without turning the ball over. I think Hartman brings that experience. He won't throw into a crowd like Buchner will. ND will play without a dominating tight end this season. So more pressure on the wide outs. Buchner will be able to survive a full season as a situational player, imo. He won't as a starter. His style of play attracts too much contact that his body can't absorb. JMO.

I gotta say, this is pretty telling the way it all turned out. I was against bringing in a transfer, unless, repeat unless it was somebody special, of extra-ordinary ability, namely someone like Sam Hartman, who if I recall seemed like the only actual tangible name out there who fit that criteria.... otherwise we should suck it up, and dig deep, and stick with Pyne and Buncher, and ride the horse that got us here, which is apparently what meathead and ex-ND LB Mike Goolsby would have done as well....

And lo and behold we actually got SH. Which was great, and apparently after a slow start, he coming into his own and is now playing up to billing after a good-looking spring game. So that's aces! But the price we had to pay was not merely a proven returning starter in Pyne transferring right off the bat.... and now the other shoe has dropped with the more talented of the two, the phenom TB has transferred as well. So it ended up being a straight trade of one year of SH, in exchange for the combined upperclassmen seasons of our top two QBs...

So we got our man in Sam Hartman, and plucked him right up and off the new college free agent transfer pool, to raise our talent level and take the QB position to a better place for the this upcoming 2023 season... but we payed the price for it....

Transfer portal has changed everything. Buchner wasn’t going to see the field this year or next. It’s todays world of college football
Tomorrow's world might be entirely different, though, when people keep transferring and finding that none of their problems were solved and they were better off sticking where they were.

Visiting Bama tonight. Sad to see, TB falls in line of a over a decade of highly regarded QBs out of high school that either never succeeded at ND or transferred out. Maybe they are wise in snagging guys that were developed elsewhere and bringing them in for a year.

Golson
Wimbush
Crist
Zaire
Kiel
Pyne
The jump from HS to college is vastly different. Golson was good until class woes. Wimbush and Zaire had passing problems like Buchner. Kiel and Crist bailed . Pyne had no arm strength. So I wouldn't exactly wonder why they didn't succeed when their woes were obvious. Only Golson was good. Not a knock on them just the way they lacked in certain areas to be successful.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT