ADVERTISEMENT

Buchner to enter the transfer portal???

Kelso86

All Star
Sep 3, 2003
Notre Damequarterback Tyler Buchner intends to enter the NCAA transfer portal, sources told ESPN on Tuesday. Buchner's imminent entrance to the portal will make him the most accomplished quarterback to enter in the spring period, and there is expected to be a strong market for his services

He saw the writing on the wall. If there was any doubt before the spring game, all doubts were answered.
Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

Coaches aren't as committed as they should have been.

Lots of changes. So he's shopping. This is similar to Phil j... ND got a talented guy and failed him at every level of development. Dual threat guys need to play.

Now they get to look in a portal for next year to compete with minchey....and then he can transfer.... Then carr...

They have created this farsical nonsense where they aren't committing to youNG guys and keep dangling a carrot of starting for one year. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY.

similar to where wrs were...

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

Lots of changes. So he's shopping. This is similar to Phil j... ND got a talented guy and failed him at every level of development. Dual threat guys need to play.

Now they get to look in a portal for next year to compete with minchey....and then he can transfer.... Then carr...

They have created this farsical nonsense where they aren't committing to youNG guys and keep dangling a carrot of starting for one year. PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY.

Dual threat guys need to play, except he played, performed poorly then got hurt, then got healthy and played and performed poorly again. 3 interceptions vs the bowl game defense cobbled together by SCar and then laid an egg in the B&G game.

Thank God the coaches actually did to their job and told both Pyne and Buchner they’d have to compete and win the job vs a high profile transfer. It was night and day watching Hartman and Buchner.

Guy is papier-mâché. You cannot say he was not developed properly as an excuse. He was out 80 percent of last year. Hurt at different times in 2021. No season in 2020 and hurt most of the 2018 season. Dude can’t throw the ball in rhythm consistently. If he’s smart he stays. But he will probably leave. Then next year leave again. He’s not that good.

These are horribly bad takes. Young guys make mistakes. You have to play them out of it...especially dual threat guys. Nd fails to commit to starting young players at QB. The idea you think this will change with minchey next year is laughable. More than likely we get another transfer... Minchey leaves and the cycle continues.

Seriously...
Guy is papier-mâché. You cannot say he was not developed properly as an excuse. He was out 80 percent of last year. Hurt at different times in 2021. No season in 2020 and hurt most of the 2018 season. Dude can’t throw the ball in rhythm consistently. If he’s smart he stays. But he will probably leave. Then next year leave again. He’s not that good.
TB is a nice kid! BUT Hartman is the starter ... NOT even close! Angeli will be fine!!! This gives ND BY FAR its best chance to win! Minchy will be just fine as well!!!

The photo on the front page here is a good one. That's a horrendous position to be in throwing from any angle.

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

Agree except in this case, dude doesn't have a clue on how to play QB. He has a terrible throwing motion creating massive accuracy issues when he even makes the right read. That doesn't even get into his turnover and pick 6 issues that clearly aren't close to being fixed.

I agree coaches need to get the talent on the field, LB will tell us a lot, but buchner ain't it.

Seriously...

TB is a nice kid! BUT Hartman is the starter ... NOT even close! Angeli will be fine!!! This gives ND BY FAR its best chance to win! Minchy will be just fine as well!!!
I’d trade 3 years of Buchner rather than 1 with Hartman.

Too bad; although he's still considering staying at ND as an option as well. But if he leaves, Angeli and Minchey will need to get ready and would have a good battle for the backup spot in the fall.

Transfer portal has changed everything. Buchner wasn’t going to see the field this year or next. It’s todays world of college football

These are horribly bad takes. Young guys make mistakes. You have to play them out of it...especially dual threat guys. Nd fails to commit to starting young players at QB. The idea you think this will change with minchey next year is laughable. More than likely we get another transfer... Minchey leaves and the cycle continues.
You're the one with effin' horrible takes. Jesus Christ, and you keep doubling down and getting more and more arrogant and full of yourself.

Regardless of whether he stays or transfers he will at some point need to win and then keep the starting QB role. He can run away from Hartman but who is he then running into. With transfer rules now wide open, both players AND schools have many more options. It works both ways … unless he’s transferring to a G5 school, where he might be guaranteed the job and the chance to learn and improve as he plays.

Too bad; although he's still considering staying at ND as an option as well. But if he leaves, Angeli and Minchey will need to get ready and would have a good battle for the backup spot in the fall.
And just think, that battle will include the 3rd stringer behind Buchner and Pyne. Hell of a battle it will be.

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

He has zero performances without any kind of big mistake or poor play

I think his talent is enormous, love his moxie, and think he has tremendous upside. But he has not helped himself over last 2 yrs

Reactions: melstew
Agree except in this case, dude doesn't have a clue on how to play QB. He has a terrible throwing motion creating massive accuracy issues when he even makes the right read. That doesn't even get into his turnover and pick 6 issues that clearly aren't close to being fixed.

I agree coaches need to get the talent on the field, LB will tell us a lot, but buchner ain't it.
Coaches Freeman and Rees were all in on Buchner last season. They didn’t hit the portal for a veteran, and fully committed to Buchner. Too bad he was injured six quarters into the season, but I don’t agree with the narrative (not yours) that he was somehow not treated well or not developed. The fact is he has 6 passing TDs and 8 ints to his credit, and we will miss him as our backup QB capable of coming in and turning games in our favor with his running; but I believe Stretches of poor passing and poor mental mistakes will always make him a higher risk than reward as a starter.

ND will dip into transfer portal for a backup QB and likely again next year for a possible starting QB. It’s the way things work nowadays.

Disagree

Some poor plays over 2 seasons at Va Tech, GT, Marshall, bowl game, BG game

Coaches Freeman and Rees were all in on Buchner last season. They didn’t hit the portal for a veteran, and fully committed to Buchner. Too bad he was injured six quarters into the season, but I don’t agree with the narrative (not yours) that he was somehow not treated well or not developed. The fact is he has 6 passing TDs and 8 ints to his credit, and we will miss him as our backup QB capable of coming in and turning games in our favor with his running; but I believe Stretches of poor passing and poor mental mistakes will always make him a higher risk than reward as a starter.
He just seems to struggle with protections, pre reads, and post reads. That doesn't include throwing issues. He's a heck of an athlete, tough as can be, but clearly not someone leading a team to a title.

Reactions: melstew and Telx1
Seriously...

Angeli is not ever going to be a preferred starter at Notre Dame.

Tyler Buchner is a good kid. I hope he decides to stay, if he leaves, I’ll certainly be rooting for him.

The truth is that he hasn’t shown anything in his time at ND to prove he should be a starter. We have high expectations here. He’s a decent runner. Some on the board post that he’s basically Michael Vick. He’s not. I don’t even see him as much more effective than Ian Book when running the ball. Both solid, nothing exceptional. The difference is Ian could read a defense, go through a progression, and make good decision throwing the ball. “Dual-Threat” is only effective when the players excels in both categories.

Sam Hartman was more effective in 1.5 quarters in a spring game than I have ever seen from Buchner in college. If anyone disagrees, then they’re still caught up on his high school highlight tape.

Reactions: melstew
Disagree

Some poor plays over 2 seasons at Va Tech, GT, Marshall, bowl game, BG game
Don't forget Cincy game.

It didn't take long for teams to figure him out. He provided some sparks but even tech, took them a quarter and a half to figure him out after they were prepared for Coan.

I was super high on him 4 years ago but he changed the way he throws the ball and its' been down hill since.

I thought there might be some short yardage situations for him this year, but hartman actually runs the read option well.

Probalby need portal qb for 24 now

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

What the heck are you rambling on about???
Changes?
Failed him? How???
No one "needs" to play if they are not producing

I disagree that they failed to develop him. He's shown that he will likely always be a "thrower " and not a "passer". Combine that with questionable decision making under pressure and the results speak for themselves. Best of luck to him going forward. It's business, no more no less.

Buchner just isn’t a starting QB on a top 10 or possibly top 25 team. He threw 3 interceptions- 2 pick 6’s versus South Carolina and was awful in the spring game.

Not it at all.

His roommate was styles.

Lots of changes. So he's shopping.
Let's be fair -- i've been a big Tyler fan since his junior year of HS -- but he's Mr. Pick Six (with flashes of brilliance here and there.) Should he have started over Coan. We didn't get a Portal guy last year in order to give Buchner his chance. He went 0-2. He was hurt all last season.

Would you have NOT gotten Hartman this year and hoped Tyler got healthy and figured out the passing?

This is not the coaches fault -- they made it clear Buchner would be a very active backup and the starter in '24.
Dual threat guys need to play.

Let's be fair -- i've been a big Tyler fan since his junior year of HS -- but he's Mr. Pick Six (with flashes of brilliance here and there.) Should he have started over Coan. We didn't get a Portal guy last year in order to give Buchner his chance. He went 0-2. He was hurt all last season.

Would you have NOT gotten Hartman this year and hoped Tyler got healthy and figured out the passing?

This is not the coaches fault -- neither was Phil -- they made it clear to Buchner would be a very active backup to a top 10 CFB QB this year and the starter in '24.

I don’t see this as a big loss. Too many on here are sold on Buchner’s potential, not his actual play. He’s going to be a junior. He hasn’t been able to polish his passing skills. There’s a reality that he probably never will. You can lead an horse to water. It was clear in the spring game that they were challenging this weakness, annd it showed he was not anble to handle it. Our current coaches want more complete passers at the QB position. Otherwise Buchner is always a liability in that regard. Angeli is a solid number 2 (he did outperform Buchner in the spring game, that is factual) as he will not make mistakes. Minchey will develop just fine and I fully expect him to be the guy in 24.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Lol. Ok Felicia.
What do you mean, OK Felicia. You're the effin' raving meathead. Don't try to put on someone else. You're the douchebag here, not our coaches for failing to develop a younger QB. God damn I've never seen such a worthless know-it-all windbag like you....

if he relaxes and plays by his instincts, he can do very well! best of luck and life to the kid!

Reactions: Tru2Irish
Notre Dame quarterback Tyler Buchner intends to enter the NCAA transfer portal, sources told ESPN on Tuesday. Buchner's imminent entrance to the portal will make him the most accomplished quarterback to enter in the spring period, and there is expected to be a strong market for his services
I wish Tyler the very best! He is a very talented young man and can succeed in the right offense that is able to use his God-given talent and presents that structure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT