ADVERTISEMENT

Brunelle

Beat holy cross for a recruit finally
It shows offers from Michigan, UCLA, BC ect..also. could end up being a Chris Finke, or Renfrow (Clemson) type player. I have no problem recruiting a kid like that every now and then. As long as our classes aren't reliant on them (they aren't) we'll be fine.

Solid pickup. I like him in a possession role. Well put together for a high school senior and strikes me as a hard worker.

Would be thrilled if he develops himself into a Gehrig Dieter type guy.
IIo
Didn’t u say recently u really liked this kid ala Finke, ala Wes welker ?

IIo
Didn’t u say recently u really liked this kid ala Finke, ala Wes welker ?

No, he's a bigger, stronger guy than those two and plays a totally different game. Brunelle is 6'1+, 200lbs and rocked up. Build wise I think a comparable receiver is JaVon McKinley who suits up at 6'1+, 215lbs, after 4 years of college.

Personally, I don't think Brunelle does anything special, he's just tough and he's a hard worker, with great hands... That will take you a long way. He doesn't run crazy fast (4.55 range), but he's not slow. He doesn't have elite short area quickness on film, but he bodies defensive backs, makes contested catches, shows good body control and coordination in the air and times his leap well to take advantage of whatever vertical he does have... His best attributes are they he competes and he's tough.

Crapshoot WR for me. A guy who could wind up starting for Notre Dame, or a guy like McKinley (post broken leg) who shows flashes, but never breaks out.

Reactions: Kelso86
I've liked him from the jump and have been very outspoken on that.

Then again------what do I know. :):):)

But I'm partial to guys who compete----make tough catches and play for HS Programs where you're coached up and play good competition.

Welcome aboard !

No, he's a bigger, stronger guy than those two and plays a totally different game. Brunelle is 6'1+, 200lbs and rocked up. Build wise I think a comparable receiver is JaVon McKinley who suits up at 6'1+, 215lbs, after 4 years of college.

Personally, I don't think Brunelle does anything special, he's just tough and he's a hard worker, with great hands... That will take you a long way. He doesn't run crazy fast (4.55 range), but he's not slow. He doesn't have elite short area quickness on film, but he bodies defensive backs, makes contested catches, shows good body control and coordination in the air and times his leap well to take advantage of whatever vertical he does have... His best attributes are they he competes and he's tough.

Crapshoot WR for me. A guy who could wind up starting for Notre Dame, or a guy like McKinley (post broken leg) who shows flashes, but never breaks out.
Given the current passing game strategy he's a perfect fit for the 3 yard curl and sit down route.

Given the current passing game strategy he's a perfect fit for the 3 yard curl and sit down route.

And the in breaking slants and "in cuts" that require a WR to be physical, competitive and a hands catcher... Possession guy that can get over the top against the some of the teams on our the schedule, but would struggle to do so against others, IMO.

The receivers he’s being compared to in this thread all have one thing in common... lol

The receivers he’s being compared to in this thread all have one thing in common... lol

Also, in line with your thinking, my homer, upside projection for Brunelle (absolute ceiling) is Jordy Nelson.

Lol Nelson had 2822 yards receiving in 3 years at Kansas State, including 122 catches for 1606 yards as a senior... Absolute friggen stud and I don't ever see Brunelle having that kind of production, but he does have an incredibly similar skill set and body type, IMO.

One thing that some people might not know about Nelson, however, is that he ran a 10.62 hundred meter dash as a high school senior. Dude could really run.

Last edited:
I think people are completely underestimating what this kid is. He ran a 4.56 at the same camp that justin fleming, number 1 wr in 2020, ran over 4.6. Ran a good 4.25 shuttle and has an elite vertical of 38 inches. And hes not some skinney athlete, kid is built.
I think his upside is really high and his downside is very little. He can play special teams day 1 and will work his way into the rotation.
I like this pickup.

Nothing wrong with this kid other than the fact that others were more preferred. That’s all.

Also, in line with your thinking, my homer, upside projection for Brunelle (absolute ceiling) is Jordy Nelson.

Lol Nelson had 2822 yards receiving in 3 years at Kansas State, including 122 catches for 1606 yards as a senior... Absolute friggen stud and I don't ever see Brunelle having that kind of production, but he does have an incredibly similar skill set and body type, IMO.

One thing that some people might not know about Nelson, however, is that he ran a 10.62 hundred meter dash as a high school senior. Dude could really run.
I was about to say, he has no where near Nelson’s speed.

Came to ND Camp without an offer-------got offered

Came to Michigan Camp without an offer----got offered

Speaks volumes for the kid IMO

Congrats on knowing more than the coaching staffs of those schools
exactly. it's not about what this kid or any kid is now its what they project him to be. i'll take any staffs evaluations over the star raters. it's all about "fit" .

Reactions: jcswoopnh
Watching the tapes on him are impressive. How does he not get offers well before visits amazes me. Betting he has a real productive time for the Irish.

Reactions: ND_Brewtus
People are underestimating this kids speed and athleticism. I’m pretty sure at a recent Nike camp he produced a top overall Sparq score with a 4.55 40, a 38 inch vertical, and a very good 3 cone drill. He might not have elite speed but his overall athletic ability is more than enough. He will work hard and is already huge - likely translates to special teams contributor day 1. Great pickup! Sorry I just now realize this is a repeat of a previous poster. But good points bear repeating.

Last edited:
Reactions: jcswoopnh
People are underestimating this kids speed and athleticism. I’m pretty sure at a recent Nike camp he produced a top overall Sparq score with a 4.55 40, a 38 inch vertical, and a very good 3 cone drill. He might not have elite speed but his overall athletic ability is more than enough. He will work hard and is already huge - likely translates to special teams contributor day 1. Great pickup! Sorry I just now realize this is a repeat of a previous poster. But good points bear repeating.
good post. not every kid is going to be an all american. the rule of thumb forever has been that one third of any given recruiting class will end up as starters, one third will end up as contributors and one third will rarely if ever see the field for a variety of reasons. "fit" is a huge component when determining which athletes to recruit, especially at a place like Notre Dame.

Reactions: napy2121
My favorite is when we run the wide receiver screen 2 and sometimes 3 plays in a row. Then you add in the 3 and 8 halfback draw a few times a game and it's no wonder we can't get in the end zone against elite coaches when teams are ready.

When most of us fans can call what we are going to run pre snap, that's likely a bad sign that elite teams like Clemson are ready for it as well. Teams can decipher our entire offense after watching 3 minutes of film.

Reactions: 88ND
good post. not every kid is going to be an all american. the rule of thumb forever has been that one third of any given recruiting class will end up as starters, one third will end up as contributors and one third will rarely if ever see the field for a variety of reasons. "fit" is a huge component when determining which athletes to recruit, especially at a place like Notre Dame.
I almost think you go quarters- one quarter is elite, one quarter is solid starters or heavy contributors, one quarter is kids that don’t play significantly but enrich your team with work ethic and by being dedicated practice players that don’t moan and push everyone, then the last quarter guys that don’t make it at all or get in trouble or can’t handle academics. But I completely agree with your sentiment and would even say, this guy has a great shot at any of the top 3 quarters and is extremely unlikely to be in the bottom quarter which makes this a great take.

I think people are completely underestimating what this kid is. He ran a 4.56 at the same camp that justin fleming, number 1 wr in 2020, ran over 4.6. Ran a good 4.25 shuttle and has an elite vertical of 38 inches. And hes not some skinney athlete, kid is built.
I think his upside is really high and his downside is very little. He can play special teams day 1 and will work his way into the rotation.
I like this pickup.

And if for some reason WR doesn't work out for him, with his size and speed, maybe he could bulk up and play defense. Drue Tranquill was about the same size as a HS recruit.

Came to ND Camp without an offer-------got offered

Came to Michigan Camp without an offer----got offered

Speaks volumes for the kid IMO

Congrats on knowing more than the coaching staffs of those schools
Then hopefully his film was a lie or he’s recently started taking steroids. His film was not good.

Brunelle ran a 4.46 - 40, for someone at 6’1 potentially 6’2, that’s pretty fast...he also dominated at the ND spring camp and forced them to offer b/c of his performance...plays with a real chip on his shoulder, and after he delivered the performance and got his dream offer, he didn’t commit right away...that’s Moxy...I think he has the potential to really surprise us as something great!

Then hopefully his film was a lie or he’s recently started taking steroids. His film was not good.

Thought it was excellent

Wasn't just 5 minutes of running 9 Routes past slow kids.

Showed me skill in the air making the tough catch----ran routes across the middle-----YACs and the ability to get deep.

But everyone sees things differently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT