ADVERTISEMENT

Boykin’s measurables > 2018 nfl top wr draftees

Maxgalt12

Irish Insider
Jun 23, 2016
I am getting really excited about Miles Boykin becoming a receiver closer to a Michael flyod rather than closer to a rhema McKnight. I started looking into his combine numbers and they are absolutely elite. Measuring 6’4 227, Miles has a recorded 4.41 40 yd dash with a 1.4+ 10yd split (among the 8 fastest on the team), a broad jump of 11 ft, squat of 450, ran a 4.20 in 20 yard shuttle as a incoming frosh at Nike sparq( which should be much faster considering he added 7 in to his vertical and shaved .10 off 40 time) and a vertical of 40 in. The top 2 wr and EQ’s combine numbers:

40: B jump: Vert: 20yd sh:

C. Ridley. 4.43s. 9ft1in. 31in. 4.41

C. Suttland. 4.54s. 10ft3in. 35.5in 4.11

E. St. Brown. 4.48s. U/a. 34.5in. U/a

M. Boykin. 4.41s. 11ft. 40in. 4.20

All the ingredients to be special this year! Imagine his numbers after another year of Balis!!!!

Think he's more of a 4.55-4.6 guy. That being said his size and leaping ability are elite . Hopefully unlike last year the qb is more accurate and we can take advantage of him and claypool against smaller dbs.

He is not a sub 4.55 guy. He is a strong physical WR. He can be a big factor in the offense, especially paired with Claypool.

He is in the 4.51- 4.56 range

from ESPN piece:
Fortuna: Maureen, Kelly said at the beginning of spring that Torii Hunter Jr. ran a 4.43 40-yard-dash during the program's winter testing. At the NFL scouting combine, Will Fuller ran a 4.32, the best among receivers. (For the record, former Georgia running back Keith Marshallhad the best overall, at 4.31.) In any event, Hunter is expected to carry the biggest load this fall amongst the Irish's receivers, especially if Corey Robinson (concussions) ends up not playing. As far as speed, though, Kelly had said that Corey Holmes ran the fastest 40-time, at 4.39. The others, according to Kelly: Miles Boykin ran a 4.7, C.J. Sanders ran a 4.49, Equanimeous St. Brown ran a 4.5 and K.J. Stepherson ran a 4.5.”

Last edited:
I am getting really excited about Miles Boykin becoming a receiver closer to a Michael flyod rather than closer to a rhema McKnight. I started looking into his combine numbers and they are absolutely elite. Measuring 6’4 227, Miles has a recorded 4.41 40 yd dash with a 1.4+ 10yd split (among the 8 fastest on the team), a broad jump of 11 ft, squat of 450, ran a 4.20 in 20 yard shuttle as a incoming frosh at Nike sparq( which should be much faster considering he added 7 in to his vertical and shaved .10 off 40 time) and a vertical of 40 in. The top 2 wr and EQ’s combine numbers:

All the ingredients to be special this year! Imagine his numbers after another year of Balis!!!!
Boykins numbers in HS are a bit questionable....I’m sure he has improved considerably but a 4.4 guy I don’t see it...but those guys that are long striders like him are tough on the eye test

Reactions: Kelso86

Boykin may end up being a great WR but Floyd was performing at the highest of levels as a freshman and was unstoppable his last year with ND. Perspective man.

Think he's more of a 4.55-4.6 guy. That being said his size and leaping ability are elite . Hopefully unlike last year the qb is more accurate and we can take advantage of him and claypool against smaller dbs.
Boykin may end up being a great WR but Floyd was performing at the highest of levels as a freshman and was unstoppable his last year with ND. Perspective man.

I’m hitting the brakes on being a Floyd, my point was he is closer to Floyd on the spectrum of Mcnight being the other end. Floyd is the greatest wr I’ve watched at ND (don’t remember Brown). Floyd also had Clausen slinging the skin at him. I imagine Boykins ceiling would be hire with clausen as his qb for at least 2 years. I agree with the skeptics on his forty time cause he looks like a runaway rhino vs a gazelle. But a wr with that kind of vertical and broad jump would be a outlier in not being able to post a sub 4.55. That kind of explosion usually translates with speed in the wr position group. I would say his other numbers are inflated as well. it is spring and I like the possibilities a little delusion instead of being shrewd lol. Happy Easter guys!

coach kelly drops a few superlatives when asked who is emerging at WR and suddenly a guy whose been absent/buried on the depth chart for 3 years is now comparable to Mike Floyd lol

smh at this gullable fanbase

We here in Illinois are no strangers to the talent of Miles Boykin..kid is LEGIT...His Providence Catholic teams were dominant offensively with him...trust me this man can play!!

We here in Illinois are no strangers to the talent of Miles Boykin..kid is LEGIT...His Providence Catholic teams were dominant offensively with him...trust me this man can play!!

I know all about Providence Catholic and IL football...where he played his HS ball became irrelevant once you step foot on a college campus

coach kelly drops a few superlatives when asked who is emerging at WR and suddenly a guy whose been absent/buried on the depth chart for 3 years is now comparable to Mike Floyd lol

smh at this gullable fanbase

Not one person is saying he is Michael Floyd. It’s college football, who doesn’t wanna be wishful when it comes to their team. I guess our wr are at best we can hope for below avg buried On depth chart Wr.

No one seriously thinks Boykin has great speed, but he does get moving once he gets a head of steam. But based on what we have seen, he has excellent hands, a really good catching radius, way above average strength and the mentality to fight for the ball. I was critical of St Brown all season for what appeared to be a poor attitude, an unwillingness to fight for balls, and thought Boykin should have been given more opportunities at St browns expense, long before the LSU game. He’s not Floyd like at all in my view, but I agree with the OP main point, and that is Boykin’s production this year will not disappoint.

Quick note: the LSU dB he toasted ran a 4.38 .
"toasted?" Please, re-watch that clip. It looked like there were snipers in the stands popping the LSU DB's.... they just kept falling over their own feet.
Great play made by Boykin, one of the all-time best at ND.... but he looked slow as molasses. I had people texting me if he was a converted lineman lol

Reactions: Maxgalt12
"toasted?" Please, re-watch that clip. It looked like there were snipers in the stands popping the LSU DB's.... they just kept falling over their own feet.
Great play made by Boykin, one of the all-time best at ND.... but he looked slow as molasses. I had people texting me if he was a converted lineman lol

What part of the play are you saying made him look slow?

He certainly wasn't "toasting" the CB while running the route initially. However, that CB was Donte Jackson, who ran an electronic 4.32 at the NFL Combine, tied for the best time at the entire combine. So failing to outrun him is hardly a major red-flag for a big/physical WR.

During the catch, he was jumping and cutting between defenders so much that there was no way to judge his speed. He had to come to a full stop.

The last part of the route, running to the end-zone after he had thrown off the DB looked pretty standard to me. He was coming from a full stop, so he wasn't flying into the end-zone like a WR normally does, but that's not the right comparison.

He looks to have adequate speed for possession WR to me, with better than adequate size, strength, and ball skills.

He's never going to be a burner, but I think he could end up being a very good possession WR, and actually make a fair number of big plays.

Reactions: Maxgalt12
I hope he can be our kelvin benjamin. His speed on the donta Jackson play is impossible for me to read due to the nature of the route. He gets off press coverage well and looks like soon as he sees the safety drifting he hits the breaks and is positioning himself for a back shoulder fade but the throw was what it was.

Not one person is saying he is Michael Floyd. It’s college football, who doesn’t wanna be wishful when it comes to their team. I guess our wr are at best we can hope for below avg buried On depth chart Wr.

I'm just saying it like it is. Boykin has been a part of the program for several years, he has 1 really great play to show for it. The guy will never have to pay for another drink around any good ND alumn/fan for the rest of his life because of that play, but he's shown nothing that would suggest he's in anyway comparable to one of the best WRs in NDs history (Mike Floyd).

He doesn't have the prospect pedigree (floyd was a consensus 5 star)
He doesn't have the productivity (floyd was one of the most targeted players in the offense the day he stepped foot on campus)
He doesn't have the measurable (floyd was as quick as a cat in a linebackers body)

etc. etc. etc.

If you want to hope for the best, that's certainly your right, but i take issue with any comparison to michael floyd -- it's an insult to michael floyd's legacy.

I'm just saying it like it is. Boykin has been a part of the program for several years, he has 1 really great play to show for it. The guy will never have to pay for another drink around any good ND alumn/fan for the rest of his life because of that play, but he's shown nothing that would suggest he's in anyway comparable to one of the best WRs in NDs history (Mike Floyd).

He doesn't have the prospect pedigree (floyd was a consensus 5 star)
He doesn't have the productivity (floyd was one of the most targeted players in the offense the day he stepped foot on campus)
He doesn't have the measurable (floyd was as quick as a cat in a linebackers body)

etc. etc. etc.

If you want to hope for the best, that's certainly your right, but i take issue with any comparison to michael floyd -- it's an insult to michael floyd's legacy.
not enough stars for chase....

not enough stars for chase....
Yep, all he cares about. Not the fact that Miles caught for over 100 yards in a New Years Day bowl game last year. Or the fact that he had offers from Ohio State, Michigan, MSU, Florida, Ole Miss ect...Stars out of high school mean nothing once the kids get on campus.

Reactions: echowaker
Boykin was a 4*
But, ask yourself, who are you expecting to contend for playoff spots? How do you arrive at that expectation?

Boykin was a 4*
But, ask yourself, who are you expecting to contend for playoff spots? How do you arrive at that expectation?

I’d expect the teams with (1) the best coaches, and then (2) the easiest schedules to be the top contenders for pkayoff spots.

Why do you ask?
Trying to forward some agenda, again??

Talent. Top coaches get top talent, and continue to do so because they prove themselves over and over. I have no agenda. To disagree with that, requires an agenda; and that is not a hard conclusion to arrive at.

Talent. Top coaches get top talent, and continue to do so because they prove themselves over and over. I have no agenda. To disagree with that, requires an agenda; and that is not a hard conclusion to arrive at.

Top coaches are the top coaches because they're they best all-around coaches...not just the best recruiters. If it was just about recruiting then USC, Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, and Auburn would all have at least 1 playoff appearance .... while Michigan State and Washington would not.

To understand the real reasons, you have to look at reality....actual, on field results.

The reason that Michigan State and Washington have actual playoff appearances over those above mentioned teams: (1) coaching, and/or (2) easy schedules. Those are the same reasons that Wisconsin was closer to the playoffs in 2017 than any of those above mentioned teams.

Talent matters, it does. But it's probably 3rd on the list behind those 2 factors....and it's CERTAINLY 3rd (at best) if you're relying on high school recruiting rankings as your method of evaluating "talent"

Anyone who is ignoring what REALITY has clearly shown on the field, typically has an agenda

He did not look that fast in his TD run in the bowl game. I recall yelling at him on the TV to hurry up.

I read earlier that he improved his speed after the game and before spring. Not sure how much he can improve. I think the guestimates of 4.55 are good. We really have a challenge with perimeter speed. It seems to me the real speed is on the way in with Keys and Lenzy. We will miss KS.

He did not look that fast in his TD run in the bowl game. I recall yelling at him on the TV to hurry up.

I read earlier that he improved his speed after the game and before spring. Not sure how much he can improve. I think the guestimates of 4.55 are good. We really have a challenge with perimeter speed. It seems to me the real speed is on the way in with Keys and Lenzy. We will miss KS.

I agree with missing Stepherson and needing to improve speed at WR. I also agree that some of the Frosh can help with this. I also think that increasing our use of Alize Mack will improve that too.

But with all that being said....I don't think the criticism of Boykin for being "slow" on that TD run are all that fair. To start with, the CB covering him was Donte Jackson, who ran a 4.32 electric-timed 40 at the NFL Combine....the #1 time at the entire combine, regardless of position. So failing to outrun him down the sideline doesn't mean too much.

After that, all of his running was done after leaping, catching, cutting, throwing a defender off of him, and then cutting again. That's not the way anyone is used to seeing WR's score long TDs, where we typically see them already at full speed, catching the ball, and continuing to stream down the field.

Boykin is no burner. He's probably even below-average speed for WRs at major FBS programs...but I think the how much slower he is has been getting overplayed.

I agree with missing Stepherson and needing to improve speed at WR. I also agree that some of the Frosh can help with this. I also think that increasing our use of Alize Mack will improve that too.

But with all that being said....I don't think the criticism of Boykin for being "slow" on that TD run are all that fair. To start with, the CB covering him was Donte Jackson, who ran a 4.32 electric-timed 40 at the NFL Combine....the #1 time at the entire combine, regardless of position. So failing to outrun him down the sideline doesn't mean too much.

After that, all of his running was done after leaping, catching, cutting, throwing a defender off of him, and then cutting again. That's not the way anyone is used to seeing WR's score long TDs, where we typically see them already at full speed, catching the ball, and continuing to stream down the field.

Boykin is no burner. He's probably even below-average speed for WRs at major FBS programs...but I think the how much slower he is has been getting overplayed.

Definitely no burner, but the d-back who chased him into the end zone didn't pick up any ground on him during that short dash. I remember when Willingham was coach, we had a linebackerr who picked off a pass against Tennessee and had a clear route to the end zone and one their offensive linemen almost caught him from behind. Now that was slow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT