ADVERTISEMENT

Boston College QB Phil Jurkovec reflects on Notre Dame football transfer: Brian Kelly 'lied to my parents'

Book wasn't considered a high draft prospect. And most QBs like that return for their 5th years, if they're eligible for one. So it shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone that he returned. That's just the way things work out sometimes. The timing didn't work out too great for Jurkovec. But he could've stayed and started in 2021. But he didn't want to wait. I don't begrudge him transferring. But I am annoyed that he keeps whining and complaining about it 3 years later.

Other teams have made similar moves. Georgia chose Fromm over Fields, then Fields transferred to Ohio State and later became a 1st round pick. It happens all the time.
Terrible decision by Georgia

But I am annoyed that he keeps whining and complaining about it 3 years later.
He was interviewed by Boston.com

He spoke freely on how he got to where he is....

Would you rather he said Brian Kelly was the greatest ever and every QB should be so thankful they got to play for him?

He was asked...

He laid it out....

Does ANYONE really think Jurkovich will be a 1st or 2nd rd pick?
I do . At one time he was leading the ACC in passing yards on a team with limited star power and that was when Trevor Lawrence was still in college. It us to bad he got hurt. No, he is not TL, but he does have the NFL measurables

Terrible decision by Georgia
Easy to say in hindsight. But Fromm had led them to two very good seasons (including a loss in the NCG in OT), and had put up very respectable numbers in doing so. Hard to just replace a QB who's done that.

Reactions: HotCarNut
Easy to say in hindsight. But Fromm had led them to two very good seasons (including a loss in the NCG in OT), and had put up very respectable numbers in doing so. Hard to just replace a QB who's done that.
Like Dabo did

Reactions: NDinNJ
Funny...... If he hangs around he starts 2 years at ND and is for sure a 1st round pick. He basically bailed then had a good year in the 2020 COVID year when it was kinda weird. Then he was hurt most of 2021. So he has played 1 year with a limited schedule, part of another and now potentially another.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I do . At one time he was leading the ACC in passing yards on a team with limited star power and that was when Trevor Lawrence was still in college. It us to bad he got hurt. No, he is not TL, but he does have the NFL measurables
And that's just it...

The board just doesn't seem to understand....

You get drafted high in the NFL on two things.
An incredible season(s) ...like all world type of stats....

Or...

You were blessed by mother nature that can't be taught or coached.
The NFL will teach you what they need and sometimes the more green you are the better. They don't need to rid terrible habits taught by someone else.

However..

The NFL can't make a kid 6'5 or run a 4.3 40 yard or throw 70 yards...or throw a 35 yard frozen rope...

Book didn't do anything elite on the field and his measurables were extremely John Doe.

And that's just it...

The board just doesn't seem to understand....

You get drafted high in the NFL on two things.
An incredible season(s) ...like all world type of stats....

Or...

You were blessed by mother nature that can't be taught or coached.
The NFL will teach you what they need and sometimes the more green you are the better. They don't need to rid terrible habits taught by someone else.

However..

The NFL can't make a kid 6'5 or run a 4.3 40 yard or throw 70 yards...or throw a 35 yard frozen rope...

Book didn't do anything elite on the field and his measurables were extremely John Doe.
Keep shilling and making most of us laugh....

“Book didn't do anything elite on the field and his measurables were extremely John Doe.”

I disagree. He was an elite scrambler that made our o-line look better at pass pro than they actually were, and he was a very elusive runner. Even in his time on the field in the nfl, he has shown to be a very good runner. Also, there was no one better in the 4th qtr. in the country. He was also very accurate w/ short and intermediate throws. His deep ball % was better than every one of you book bashers like to paint it too. But he had limitations w/ arm strength and didn’t take as many chances as some would like, but he still guided us to record scoring numbers and two playoffs. He wasn’t flashy enough for some of you combine geeks, but he was damn good for us, whether you wanna admit it or not.

“Book didn't do anything elite on the field and his measurables were extremely John Doe.”

I disagree. He was an elite scrambler that made our o-line look better at pass pro than they actually were, and he was a very elusive runner. Even in his time on the field in the nfl, he has shown to be a very good runner. Also, there was no one better in the 4th qtr. in the country. He was also very accurate w/ short and intermediate throws. His deep ball % was better than every one of you book bashers like to paint it too. But he had limitations w/ arm strength and didn’t take as many chances as some would like, but he still guided us to record scoring numbers and two playoffs. He wasn’t flashy enough for some of you combine geeks, but he was damn good for us, whether you wanna admit it or not.
He also ran into a lot of pressure because hed put his head down and start scrambling before he had to. Bad habit of his

Are you related to Book?

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
“He also ran into a lot of pressure because hed put his head down and start scrambling before he had to. Bad habit of his”

No doubt he left early at times, but he didn’t run into many sacks because he was rarely sacked at all. Most of the time he left early, he scrambled for yardage or threw on the run. His height made him have an itchy trigger finger for pulling it down & running but he mostly made positive plays out of them. As positive as they could’ve been had he waited another second? Maybe not, but still mostly positive when he did do that.

“Are you related to Book?”

No, I’m not related to book. The only relative I have close to the program is my nephew that was an analyst the last few years and is now the lb coach at vandy. But that’s funny how you asked if I was related to him since I’m defending his play. I’ve never heard that one before.

“He also ran into a lot of pressure because hed put his head down and start scrambling before he had to. Bad habit of his”

No doubt he left early at times, but he didn’t run into many sacks because he was rarely sacked at all. Most of the time he left early, he scrambled for yardage or threw on the run. His height made him have an itchy trigger finger for pulling it down & running but he mostly made positive plays out of them. As positive as they could’ve been had he waited another second? Maybe not, but still mostly positive when he did do that.
He also left a lot of plays on the field by scrambling too early. Yeah he would get 5 to whatever yards but if he stays in the pocket he could throw the ball downfield more often. He left a lot of plays out there and it hurt us

That’s pretty much what I said on my last post, golson. How much it hurt us is debatable. Like I said, we did score at a pretty high clip w/ him under center. How many plays did he leave on the field in the playoff games? Enough for us to have won? Who knows, but I still think we needed more than book playing better to win those playoff games. Our wrs & corners were also outmatched & our o-line couldn’t run block for shit and weren’t great in pass pro either. And defensively, minus the first qtr & change against Clemson & some of the 2nd half against Bama, we were bad. But I’m tired of talking about past teams, I’d rather focus on how we can beat OSU Saturday night. We can at least agree on what we want that outcome to be, correct?

That’s pretty much what I said on my last post, golson. How much it hurt us is debatable. Like I said, we did score at a pretty high clip w/ him under center. How many plays did he leave on the field in the playoff games? Enough for us to have won? Who knows, but I still think we needed more than book playing better to win those playoff games. Our wrs & corners were also outmatched & our o-line couldn’t run block for shit and weren’t great in pass pro either. And defensively, minus the first qtr & change against Clemson & some of the 2nd half against Bama, we were bad. But I’m tired of talking about past teams, I’d rather focus on how we can beat OSU Saturday night. We can at least agree on what we want that outcome to be, correct?
That is correct

Reactions: francade
I have better things to do then haunt this board 24/7

And your opinion is as worthless as you are
Aaahhh....

perfect response....

when you've got.....

no response.

I heard LSU is looking for fans every single day. Perhaps you can convince them just how incredibly amazing Brian Kelly is. His ship has sailed six years ago here

This is a non story … most players who are passed over and transfer feel they were wronged and lied to, and maybe they were. Or maybe they were misled. Or maybe they heard what they wanted to hear. There are 3 sides to every story, my side, your side and the truth. PJ was a life long ND fan and his dream school did mot work out for him. He’s doing well at BC. This is 100 guys every year.
Quit being reasonable on this board.

He also left a lot of plays on the field by scrambling too early. Yeah he would get 5 to whatever yards but if he stays in the pocket he could throw the ball downfield more often. He left a lot of plays out there and it hurt us
Sure it hurt but you can only run the play that's called and or audible to the only audible plays allocated to you by the coach.
The scheme was NOT putting our players in the best possible situation to succeed.

It was a scheme of trying to play fail-safe football. Timid and tentative and ultimately ridiculously predictable.

Again...
See above...

I'm not a Book fan whatsoever but he's the player and last I checked didn't have the Peyton Manning freedom extended to him to run whatever he wants all the time every time.

Moreover....
3rd and 8, play breaks down, and he slides around in the pocket and attempts a 20 yard pass but has an over throw resulting in an incompletion..(just an incompletion) ..ever see the immediate ensuing sideline confrontation between Brian Kelly and Book....
or Coan
or Wimbush....
He's purple hot mad freaking out screaming what are you doing? The 3 yard curl route is wide open.

That's exactly the shit he did and I truly believe Book was terrified to just pull the string and let it rip.

Remember this....
you complete zero long passing plays that you never attempt.

Book was the good employee. The good soldier. He seldom tried any improvisation and just kept on keeping on doing Brian Kelly QBing things.
Safe, secure and low risk.
Terrified if failure.

It was nothing more than the perfect recipe to beat the Tulsa teams (remember that loss?) and beat the teams we should beat.
Against the strong that timid and tentative philosophy got us exactly embarrassed.

The other problem was being predictable. Ridiculously predictable and easy to play against.

I pointed out a running play we always ran and the guard and tackle both pull out and go to their side.
It's the only play our right guard and right tackle did this.
If you're an inside backer with no fullback you're keying on the interior linemen.
The moment both pull the linebacker can take off and he'll beat the blockers to the point of attack and tackle for no or negative gain.
That's one play that we ran excessively and it was extremely easy to scout in film and convey to the inside backers.

Same old monotonous shit like it's amateur hour on the sideline.

Good riddance!!!!

Oh well....

Here's to the new staff and hopefully a completely new offensive philosophy 🍺

We'll know much more in 66 hours!!!!

Go Irish

You just summed up BKs offensive philosophy in one paragraph. Don’t take chances and avoid bad plays. This is why QBs with elite arms and feet don’t want to play for BK.

You just summed up BKs offensive philosophy in one paragraph. Don’t take chances and avoid bad plays. This is why QBs with elite arms and feet don’t want to play for BK.
The interesting this is Kelly came in like a real gunslinger. I remember in his second game against Michigan, Crist got dinged and was out of the game. Prudence would dictate that with a freshman QB on the field that you would play it safe and hope your defense could limit the damage, but Kelly called a flea flicker, which Michigan either picked off or recovered a fumble from and went down to score. Crist came back in the second half, and we lost by less than a TD, so it really was a costly mistake. Same thing against Tulsa. We were close enough to win with a field goal so he has weak armed Tommy Rees throw the ball to the end zone, where it was picked off.

And I would argue he wasn't always risk averse. He had Golson and Kizer sling the ball all over the field. People question why he stuck with Wimbush so long, and I think it was because he had a strong arm and could throw it downfield and hope one of our receivers would get there first. He only yanked him after he proved that he couldn't toss a a short pass to save his life.

I think Kelly got enough good players, where he could take the conservative approach. His weakness came in being unable to clear the final hurdle in recruiting elite talent and what I saw as a lack of creativity to be able to prepare for big games. Once Plan A was blown up, there was never a Plan B.

I can't think of a more deserving target of Jurcovic's payback than Kelly. However, he aspires to to the league....and talent evaluators have that box to check off on "interpersonal skills" in some manner or form of their choosing. So airing dirty laundry sort of fits the category here...and, given PR and social media concerns....an upstart will be building a reputation, which includes how he handled the dirty laundry. Its indicative of how he will act in the future. Fair or unfair....perception matters.

AND .........

Started Golson over Rees who repeatedly had to come in and bail him out all year long

AND ........

Kept starting Golson over Zaire even well after Golson became the turnover king

AND .......
Started Zaire over Kizer. The only reason Kizer played was a broken leg to Zaire. This one might be the dumbest of all as Kizer was miles ahead of Zaire

AND ........
Started Wimbush over Book...repeatedly...when it was clear after two games Wimbush was the most inaccurate passer in ND history

AND .........
Starting Wimbush way too long it completely messed up the QB rotation cycle

AND ......
Played Book repeatedly over and over because...

He ....

Was......

The.......

Safe, warm and cozy option that would consistently make the proper throw of the 3 yard curl and sit route.

You have to give it to Book. He was the good little soldier who wouldn't dare go against the almighty to improvise, adapt and overcome. No sir. He played perfect Brian Kelly offense. Timid and tentative and absolutely positively terrified of failure.
Keep your eye on the Nebraska job.

You need to take your CFB expertise and be a head coach.

Sure it hurt but you can only run the play that's called and or audible to the only audible plays allocated to you by the coach.
The scheme was NOT putting our players in the best possible situation to succeed.

It was a scheme of trying to play fail-safe football. Timid and tentative and ultimately ridiculously predictable.

Again...
See above...

I'm not a Book fan whatsoever but he's the player and last I checked didn't have the Peyton Manning freedom extended to him to run whatever he wants all the time every time.

Moreover....
3rd and 8, play breaks down, and he slides around in the pocket and attempts a 20 yard pass but has an over throw resulting in an incompletion..(just an incompletion) ..ever see the immediate ensuing sideline confrontation between Brian Kelly and Book....
or Coan
or Wimbush....
He's purple hot mad freaking out screaming what are you doing? The 3 yard curl route is wide open.

That's exactly the shit he did and I truly believe Book was terrified to just pull the string and let it rip.

Remember this....
you complete zero long passing plays that you never attempt.

Book was the good employee. The good soldier. He seldom tried any improvisation and just kept on keeping on doing Brian Kelly QBing things.
Safe, secure and low risk.
Terrified if failure.

It was nothing more than the perfect recipe to beat the Tulsa teams (remember that loss?) and beat the teams we should beat.
Against the strong that timid and tentative philosophy got us exactly embarrassed.

The other problem was being predictable. Ridiculously predictable and easy to play against.

I pointed out a running play we always ran and the guard and tackle both pull out and go to their side.
It's the only play our right guard and right tackle did this.
If you're an inside backer with no fullback you're keying on the interior linemen.
The moment both pull the linebacker can take off and he'll beat the blockers to the point of attack and tackle for no or negative gain.
That's one play that we ran excessively and it was extremely easy to scout in film and convey to the inside backers.

Same old monotonous shit like it's amateur hour on the sideline.

Good riddance!!!!

Oh well....

Here's to the new staff and hopefully a completely new offensive philosophy 🍺

We'll know much more in 66 hours!!!!

Go Irish
Well actually you are keying back flow to flowside guard or if its gun cross keying flow.

Aaahhh....

perfect response....

when you've got.....

no response.

I heard LSU is looking for fans every single day. Perhaps you can convince them just how incredibly amazing Brian Kelly is. His ship has sailed six years ago here
You really are not worth any more effort;
Keep right on gassing as most here laugh at you

As regards your claims about Jurkovish, the vast majority of draft experts laugh at your claim about him beings first rounder.

He is a punk and that is clear to see.

As regards Kelly, he did bring ND back to contender status. Just not good enough to go further.
And his behavior with recruits and players is certainly not as bad as some you probably drool over.

At any rate Kelly is old news now.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really are not worth any more effort; a moron and a 'internet' expert who is a joke.
Keep right on gassing as most here laugh at you

As regards your claims about Jurkovish, the vast majority of draft experts laugh at your claim about him beings first rounder.

He is a punk and that is clear to see.

Just like you.

As regards Kelly, he did bring ND back to contender status. Just not good enough to go further.
And his behavior with recruits and players is certainly not as bad as some you probably drool over.

At any rate Kelly is old news now; just like you.
And again...

When you can't defend the indefensible....just fall on the sword anyways.

Just because.

He was absolutely notorious for making his decision before the play even unfolded. Passing or taking off running...more times than not his mind was set before the snap.

How many plays did you truly see Book improvise, adapt and overcome resulting in a huge gain...big 1st down pickup...etc.
Not talking games against the sister schools but in big games where it becomes paramount and players rise to the top.

He was a robot in those moments.

Was that just who he is or was he terrified to go against Brian Kelly? Perhaps some of both.
Either way it didn't help

First of all he's a Western PA boy so he's far from a wuss...

Secondly...

Brian Kelly and anything QB related has been a disaster. His entire coaching career he's been a mess with the QB position.

If he would've played Book when it was clear after about two games Brandon Wimbush couldn't hit the ocean throwing from the pier Book would've been done on time and it would've been Phil's turn on time.

Instead you know what Brian Kelly did...waited... until Wimbush embarrassed his coach until he finally made the change.
You know why he stuck with Book? He was the safer selection. Just like his play calling and offensive philosophy of terrified to fail he opted for the safer choice at QB. The one who would listen to the almighty perfecting the yard curl and sit route.
Kelly didn't want improvisation during a play. He didn't want high risk high reward plays. Nope...very timid and tentative is the Brian Kelly way just like his choices in QB's
The kid is a pussy and quit. He didn't want to put in the work and compete. Good riddance.
There's a reason no big time program pursued him.

“He was absolutely notorious for making his decision before the play even unfolded. Passing or taking off running...more times than not his mind was set before the snap.”

“Notorious”? Lol. This is more made up nonsense from you on the subject. Yeah, you’re right, book never went thru any progressions. As I said, his athleticism & lack of height made him take off early at times, and there were other times that he moved out of the pocket w/ good protection in order to gain yards on the ground or throw on the run, because he was more comfortable in doing so. It usually gave us a positive play. But there were plenty of times, if he had time, he’d make his progressions. He also made a lot out of nothing when the pocket had an immediate collapse. Just because he didn’t do it the way you wanted him to, doesn’t mean he wasn’t effective in his way. We did score at a high clip (highest ever 3 year span) so he must’ve done some things well. Whether you wanna admit it or not, he was really good for us.

“Was that just who he is or was he terrified to go against Brian Kelly? Perhaps some of both.
Either way it didn't help”

No, you’re right, he was a terrified coward. He wasn’t a player that played within his strengths and weaknesses while adhering to a style of play that played to our overall team strengths. It wasn’t that, it was because he was a coward, like you said. Lol. You’re a clown show on the subject. I’m done talking about a player that’s been gone for two years, until you say something really stupid again on the subject, which will be in about 10 seconds probably.

He was interviewed by Boston.com

He spoke freely on how he got to where he is....

Would you rather he said Brian Kelly was the greatest ever and every QB should be so thankful they got to play for him?

He was asked...

He laid it out....

You didn't get any brighter during your ban.

So he stays. He is a starter last year. He can run and he can pass. We easily beat Cinci. We go to the CFP. We get throttled because the rest of the team was subpar and he is back this year with a legit shot. Loaded with new coaches and talent all around him.

ND would be a 7 pt dog and we would all feel more confident.

The bottom line BK and TR seems like they let some talent slip. That’s on them. TR is still here, hopefully he learns from it.

He is a top QB. He is a stud. If he stays it works out, He went and it will work out.

If he doesn’t leave he is a second year starter and a Heisman candidate. It’s 2 top QB’s Saturday. But it works out either way.

So he stays. He is a starter last year. He can run and he can pass. We easily beat Cinci. We go to the CFP. We get throttled because the rest of the team was subpar and he is back this year with a legit shot. Loaded with new coaches and talent all around him.

ND would be a 7 pt dog and we would all feel more confident.

The bottom line BK and TR seems like they let some talent slip. That’s on them. TR is still here, hopefully he learns from it.

He is a top QB. He is a stud. If he stays it works out, He went and it will work out.

If he doesn’t leave he is a second year starter and a Heisman candidate. It’s 2 top QB’s Saturday. But it works out either way.
What are you talking about, he sucks... PHIL JURKOVEC SUCKS!!!

He does, dude. We played against him and he didn't do shit against us. Remember that, remember when we played BC and he was just this lanky, sluggish, totally not-that-great QB?? You can YouTube the highlights if you want....

You didn't get any brighter during your ban.
Banned? Never happened.

But...what are you doing here?
Maybe you could get on the American Herritage School forum
Or perhaps start a forum for them?
That's Brian Van Gorder's new employer.

I must say....some here used to say BK was a good coach and eventually came to their senses. Some said Book was other worldly and just incredibly amazing. A few even compared some of his plays to Joe Montana. Again most came back to reality.

You...
on the other hand...
never ever in the history of any message board has there been quite an insane proclamation like the love and promotion you had for Brian Van Gorder.

Never seen anything like that and definitely never see any team tackle worse that Brian Van Gorder's defense @ ND.

Banned? Never happened.

I must say....some here used to say BK was a good coach and eventually came to their senses. Some said Book was other worldly and just incredibly amazing. A few even compared some of his plays to Joe Montana. Again most came back to reality.

You...
on the other hand...
never ever in the history of any message board has there been quite an insane proclamation like the love and promotion you had for Brian Van Gorder.

Never seen anything like that and definitely never see any team tackle worse that Brian Van Gorder's defense @ ND.
Agree completely. He is a tool

Banned? Never happened.

You...
on the other hand...

Careful or you are going to get another timeout!
😜

Based on what I saw today Foskey may break Justin Tuck's sack record against BC alone. Those tackles couldn't stop a 3 man rush at the end of the game against Rutgers. Takacs had a good game for BC and seems to be the first place Phil looks even though they have Flowers.

What are you talking about, he sucks... PHIL JURKOVEC SUCKS!!!

He does, dude. We played against him and he didn't do shit against us. Remember that, remember when we played BC and he was just this lanky, sluggish, totally not-that-great QB?? You can YouTube the highlights if you want....

Well, i have not seen him play much. I think maybe against ND his first year? Played well. But if he truly is a first rounder, he had to be better than Coan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT