ADVERTISEMENT

BK to LSU, Stoops or Fleck to ND

NotreDame du Lac

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 29, 2015
Some big changes ahead for the Irish. Stoops will be the number one target if he wants a new career change. Fleck is the second best option and would probably take a Midwest job over elsewhere. Argue what you will but this is certainly a decent possibility.

Reactions: end_23
Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Shaw, Stoops, Miles, Gruden, Weis, Willingham, Davie, Kelly

all guys that will not be head coach of Notre Dame football in '17

Reactions: nemeth#5
To be fair, we have been linked with Stoops on a few occasions so i guess that is a possibility. Unlikely but still.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
To be fair, we have been linked with Stoops on a few occasions so i guess that is a possibility. Unlikely but still.
Bob Stoops has absolutely no incentive to leave Oklahoma unless you count the need for a change of scenery. However, there is comfort in the familiar....so cross that one off the list too. He ain't going anywhere.

Stoops is to old, Fleck is BK-lite, I can't imagine what Tiger Nations reaction to hiring a 4-8 coach would be

Some big changes ahead for the Irish. Stoops will be the number one target if he wants a new career change. Fleck is the second best option and would probably take a Midwest job over elsewhere. Argue what you will but this is certainly a decent possibility.

There may be BIG changes -- but NOT at ND (at least through 2017). Kelly will be on the sidelines at ND in 2017.

This shall fester for one more full season and possibly more if Kelly can get to 7 wins next year. Just enough wins to keep ND semi-relevant in college football & keep the money train rolling.

Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Shaw, Stoops, Miles, Gruden, Weis, Willingham, Davie, Kelly

all guys that will not be head coach of Notre Dame football in '17

I use to think that Kelly would automatically come back in '17, but given his exhausted appearance and the team appearance of almost ready to give it up and now the almost complete collapse of the fan base's support (except for the Kellyfiles)...they lose in a noncompetitive way to SC, yes, it very well could happen. Which would be a very positive move for the school, program and fan base.

the program will be a shambles if this continues. Recruiting is going to take a major hit either way; but why take more 'hits' than necessary? 1 decommit could open the floodgates! And It could hapoen by Monday.

what happens really will hinge on the USC. IF ND is competitive and does not look lost Kelly very well might hang on for another year.

BUT if USC smokes us and we look bad- ALL BETS ARE OFF.

At that point the big donors start speaking with their checkbooks. As in telling the Admin they are closed as long as Kelly is here. THEN that buyout does not look like all that much.
Now one real key will be if the big money guys also demand the head of the AD as well which is likely.

THEN we are in trouble since no HC could be hired until we get a acting AD at least. That is the scenario where swarbrick might hang on for a while longer. Pure pragmaticism.

the program will be a shambles if this continues. Recruiting is going to take a major hit either way; but why take more 'hits' than necessary? 1 decommit could open the floodgates! And It could hapoen by Monday.

To take your "1 decommit away" thought to the next step, my sense is the right decommit, shortly after a nightmare appearance on National TV this Saturday, and the entire atmosphere and psychology of the football program could collapse. Perhaps to a point that it is beyond being rebuilt. That would be the worse case, but allowing yourself to be placed in that position by not responding and decisive action by the AD and administration speaks volumes about their inability to understand the ND community and fan base.

Last edited:
adding NCAA infractions into the equation at this point in the season certifies this coach as toxic. The university is fighting a battle to save those victories and the over-riding reputation of the program in the course of a dismal season. The distractions are too plentiful at this point. Kelly has to go.

Reactions: Nocalirish
no one is coming to ND!

I have no axe to grind, merely someone who has watched ND football for years so don't bother piling on! If you were to let Kelly go I honestly believe you would be wise to look at Greg Schiano. He is an education first, clean program with accountability Coach. If ND's perception is for real than a coach like this would enhance it. He revived the worst, or close to, college football program and brought them to National recognition without any scandals or issues. He would be an excellent fit.

Reactions: Nocalirish
I have no axe to grind, merely someone who has watched ND football for years so don't bother piling on! If you were to let Kelly go I honestly believe you would be wise to look at Greg Schiano. He is an education first, clean program with accountability Coach. If ND's perception is for real than a coach like this would enhance it. He revived the worst, or close to, college football program and brought them to National recognition without any scandals or issues. He would be an excellent fit.
Totally agree, I've posted this same thought on several threads already.

Schiano does not excite me. To overtake UM and OSU as the premier team in the Midwest Notre Dame needs to gamble a bit. Right now, Fleck is that gamble. He'd take the job without a huge contract and he'd bring a lot of positive attention to a lackluster program with his speeches, enthusiasm, and personality traits. BK is a good coach, but he's burned out. Fleck is motivated as hell.

Give Fleck a shot!

Reactions: hoosierstateII

he really pissed people off while in Jersey ; not the sports people, just influencial types. How would he survive the stiff stuffed shirts at ND?

he really pissed people off while in Jersey ; not the sports people, just influencial types. How would he survive the stiff stuffed shirts at ND?
The biggest problem in NJ is lack of support! He would win the ND faithful in no time at all, NJ is always looking to get but reluctant to give! ND supporters would provide Coach with the missing ingredient to his success.

Schiano does not excite me. To overtake UM and OSU as the premier team in the Midwest Notre Dame needs to gamble a bit. Right now, Fleck is that gamble. He'd take the job without a huge contract and he'd bring a lot of positive attention to a lackluster program with his speeches, enthusiasm, and personality traits. BK is a good coach, but he's burned out. Fleck is motivated as hell.

Give Fleck a shot!
Fleck=Faust

Keep dreamin.

My vote is for Chris Peterson, but I know that is unlikely. Now I think Charlie Strong is a great option here. 1.He can recruit. 2.Kids love playing for him 3. ND ties. 4. No matter what happened at Texas, he is still an elite coach.

My vote is for Chris Peterson, but I know that is unlikely. Now I think Charlie Strong is a great option here. 1.He can recruit. 2.Kids love playing for him 3. ND ties. 4. No matter what happened at Texas, he is still an elite coach.
Strong is tarnished at this point

Given Kelly will be back next year, but if we are dreaming, I want a coach that believes in establishing the run to set up the pass on offense. The disappointment I have with ND is they don't have an identity. Are they up tempo? No. Are they finesse? Sometimes (maybe). Are they a physical team? No. ND is all of those things and none of those things. I never know what to expect.

BK to LSU, Stoops or Fleck to ND, NotreDame du Lac to Ignore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT