ADVERTISEMENT

Biggest recruit Bust and most Underrated recruit Success.

Dec 29, 2005
Obviously, there are many in both categories but following recruiting services since ‘99-00 on this very board, I’d say the greatest 3 star was Justin Tuck.

Most overrated player for me has got to be Five Star QB Gunner Kiel in a tie with ND OL Sam Young. I think Sam was the #1 rated prospect at his position and never came close to matching the potential we all thought.

Obviously, there are many in both categories but following recruiting services since ‘99-00 on this very board, I’d say the greatest 3 star was Justin Tuck.

Most overrated player for me has got to be Five Star QB Gunner Kiel in a tie with ND OL Sam Young. I think Sam was the #1 rated prospect at his position and never came close to matching the potential we all thought.
Carlos Pierre Antoine and dayne crist

Reactions: BGI User 756
Sam Young? He was a 5-star who had the career of a typical 4-star, including time in the NFL. If that kind of career qualifies as a bust, then I would say Jimmy Clausen comes to mind more than Young. I wouldn't call either one a bust, though. Dayne Crist and Gunner Kiel stick in my memory - maybe that's QB bias. Does Aaron Lynch count?

Justin Tuck seems like the clear favorite from the last 20-25 years. One of the most dynamic and durable defenders in all of football history. From everything I've heard/read he has impeccable character/integrity too. Tyler Eifert also comes to mind.

No.1 pick of the board is ‘ungraciousnes’

No on sam young. He played in the nfl for years

Reactions: 1Redrum
Obviously Christ.

He wasn’t a total bust but Ishaq Williams was a high 5* who lost eligibility and then didn’t pan out in the NFL despite his physical gifts.

You g wasn’t a bust but was about as highly rated of an offensive lineman ND has signed in the last 25 years and didn’t live up to that.

Duval Kamara contributed but didn’t live up to what people thought he could be given his physical gifts. James Aldridge was a high recruit and didn’t pan out. Max redfield.

Recruiting Successes

Fuller. He was a 4* but wound up playing much above that level. Injuries hurt him from doing even more,

Claypool. Harrison Smith. Floyd lived up to everything. Tate. Tuitt. Pettigoat. Taylor. Lost goes on and on.

Obviously Christ.

He wasn’t a total bust but Ishaq Williams was a high 5* who lost eligibility and then didn’t pan out in the NFL despite his physical gifts.

You g wasn’t a bust but was about as highly rated of an offensive lineman ND has signed in the last 25 years and didn’t live up to that.

Duval Kamara contributed but didn’t live up to what people thought he could be given his physical gifts. James Aldridge was a high recruit and didn’t pan out. Max redfield.

Recruiting Successes

Fuller. He was a 4* but wound up playing much above that level. Injuries hurt him from doing even more,

Claypool. Harrison Smith. Floyd lived up to everything. Tate. Tuitt. Pettigoat. Taylor. Lost goes on and on.
Dayne Crist was not a recruiting bust. Far from it.

For me, Darnel Ewell was among the biggest disappointments; and Fuller among the best surprises to the upside. Lots of others come to mind, but these were the first two that popped when I read the OP.

For me, Darnel Ewell was among the biggest disappointments; and Fuller among the best surprises to the upside. Lots of others come to mind, but these were the first two that popped when I read the OP.
Ewell want even that great of a prospect. Hes way down on that list

Reactions: sjb75
How is Ewell a disappointment when he wasn't even highly rated to begin with?

Ewell want even that great of a prospect. Hes way down on that list
Thought he was the highly rated four star OL that was stronger than hell, that arrived amongst high expectations. Turned out to be a player that excelled at high school using brute strength against weaker kids, and really never developed any technique. Left after a couple years and dropped football altogether. Or, have I confused him with another player?

Thought he was the highly rated four star OL that was stronger than hell, that arrived amongst high expectations. Turned out to be a player that excelled at high school using brute strength against weaker kids, and really never developed any technique. Left after a couple years and dropped football altogether. Or, have I confused him with another player?
Thats him and he was a disappointment. And he may have been a 4 star but he was nevwr a great prospect like elite type. He was a disappointment to me as well but theres been much worse is all I'm saying.

But you're right he was definitely a bust

How is Ewell a disappointment when he wasn't even highly rated to begin with?
  • No. 146-ranked overall player and No. 7 offensive guard by Scout.com
  • No. 149-ranked overall player and No. 10 defensive tackle by 247Sports.com
  • No. 179-ranked overall player and No. 14 offensive guard by ESPN.com
  • No. 139-ranked overall player and No. 9 defensive tackle by Rivals.com
  • Virginia’s No. 5-ranked player by Scout.com, No. 4-ranked player by 247Sports, No. 4-ranked player by ESPN and No. 6-ranked player by Rivals
  • No. 170-ranked overall player and No. 8-ranked defensive tackle by Tom Lemming’s Prep Football Report
  • Four-star member of the PrepStar Top 300 Dream Team, ranked as the No. 153 player in the class of 2017 and the No. 8 offensive guard

• No. 146-ranked overall player and No. 7 offensive guard by Scout.com
  • No. 149-ranked overall player and No. 10 defensive tackle by 247Sports.com
  • No. 179-ranked overall player and No. 14 offensive guard by ESPN.com
  • No. 139-ranked overall player and No. 9 defensive tackle by Rivals.com
  • Virginia’s No. 5-ranked player by Scout.com, No. 4-ranked player by 247Sports, No. 4-ranked player by ESPN and No. 6-ranked player by Rivals
  • No. 170-ranked overall player and No. 8-ranked defensive tackle by Tom Lemming’s Prep Football Report
  • Four-star member of the PrepStar Top 300 Dream Team, ranked as the No. 153 player in the class of 2017 and the No. 8 offensive guard
Yeah thats what I thought. A good 4 star prospect.

Not an elite one

Julian love for underrated recruit. Was a 3 star and ended up being an all American. Deion walker was a player I remember being excited About that did nothing .

Reactions: Golson5
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT