ADVERTISEMENT

Best game ending catch

ftnfan62

I've posted how many times?
Aug 1, 2010
Saw a few clips with ND game winners. Which pick? Got a better one?

1. Boykin vs LSU for the win
2. Fuller, UVA for the win
3. Shark, UCLA for the win

I can watch all 3 of those anytime day or night

IF I recall against LSU, Boykin did the sort of the cartoon move where two tacklers came from opposite sides and bounced off of each other.

Golden Tate diving into MSU band!

Reactions: ftnfan62
The best “catch” has to be Boykin. One handed and a move that put the DB on his backside.

My favorite had to be Fuller’s because it seemed to come out of nowhere. It was Kizer’s “welcome” game to college football.

All that said, Samardzija is my favorite ND player of all time, so that was almost equally as memorable.

Reactions: ftnfan62
A few more:

Koyak’s 4th down TD vs Stanford 2014
McKnight’s TD vs MSU 2006

Not necessarily clutch but two other amazing catches:

Tate’s halftime Hail Mary catch vs WSU 2009

Grimes TD waved off Stanford 2007 (I still can’t believe this video review)

Grimes catch video

It wasn’t a game ending catch, but Arnaz Battle’s game winning catch and run against MSU in 2002 deserves mention.

This one involved a backup QB as well.

I don’t remember his most spectacular game winning catch per se, but can’t have a memory lane conversation about ND receivers without remembering Jack Snow. He and John Huarte resurrected the ND passing game under Ara. He was the original “never caught from behind” receiver.

Reactions: theskibro
A few more:

Koyak’s 4th down TD vs Stanford 2014
McKnight’s TD vs MSU 2006

Not necessarily clutch but two other amazing catches:

Tate’s halftime Hail Mary catch vs WSU 2009

Grimes TD waved off Stanford 2007 (I still can’t believe this video review)

Grimes catch video
Grimes catch was a TD. Talk about a “ homer” call. Ridiculous

I don’t remember his most spectacular game winning catch per se, but can’t have a memory lane conversation about ND receivers without remembering Jack Snow. He and John Huarte resurrected the ND passing game under Ara. He was the original “never caught from behind” receiver.
TelX

Some of my best memories - I was an early teenager - are walking down the street in my downtown in N J and the radios on a Saturday blasted “Huarte to Snow”
My neighbor lived in same dorm and Huarte used to give haircuts for like 50 cents

Wicker was in diapers
My father, who wasn't in diapers but in high school, said when ND knocked off Ohio State all the kids in the Irish Catholic neighborhood he grew up in, who had been listening to it on the radio, poured into the streets afterward cheering. I think it may have been his Miracle on Ice moment.

TelX

Some of my best memories - I was an early teenager - are walking down the street in my downtown in N J and the radios on a Saturday blasted “Huarte to Snow”
My neighbor lived in same dorm and Huarte used to give haircuts for like 50 cents
My mom and dad and myself sat around the radio every Saturday to listen to Lindsey Nelson broadcast the ND game. I still remember my folks declaring that ND finally had a head coach in Ara afteR they dominated Wisconsin in Ara’s first game. I also have terrible memory of being at that season’s final game against USC. Undefeated and up 17-0, and losing 20-17. Hell, I can remember that game better than where I left my car keys last night!

My mom and dad and myself sat around the radio every Saturday to listen to Lindsey Nelson broadcast the ND game. I still remember my folks declaring that ND finally had a head coach in Ara afteR they dominated Wisconsin in Ara’s first game. I also have terrible memory of being at that season’s final game against USC. Undefeated and up 17-0, and losing 20-17. Hell, I can remember that game better than where I left my car keys last night!
One of our most hurtful, brutal losses

👍👍👍

👍

IF I recall against LSU, Boykin did the sort of the cartoon move where two tacklers came from opposite sides and bounced off of each other.
Exactly.....the catch was amazing, the composer after as well...

Robin Weber’s catch of pass from Tom Clements against Alabama in bowl game

ND was backed up at their own goal line late in the game. This pass assured the victory.

Reactions: mmca and tkirish
Robin Weber’s catch of pass from Tom Clements against Alabama in bowl game

ND was backed up at their own goal line late in the game. This pass assured the victory.
I'd have to agree that was the clutchest clutch reception in my lifetime of watching ND. There's a funny video of a reunion of the '73 team. Ara imitates Weber's catch, including an exaggerated bobble, which I don't recall.

Reactions: tkirish
After giving this some thought , there is only one game ending catch that stands above the rest. 1973 Sugar Bowl , Clements to Weber for the win and NC. It doesn’t get any bigger.

Reactions: Kelso86 and jdk222
After giving this some thought , there is only one game ending catch that stands above the rest. 1973 Sugar Bowl , Clements to Weber for the win and NC. It doesn’t get any bigger.

I tend to agree, while the other catches were great, they weren’t close to being on the same stage as that catch

Good call

And I believe that was Weber’s only catch at ND
I read an article from the New York Times that says he caught one other pass in 1973 during mop up time. It also says he never caught a pass from Clements even in warm ups. Weber states he had never run the play in practice or any pass play in practice.

Its hard to top that game-ender against Bama.

I will say the 4th and goal pass to Bettis and following 2 pointer, and the way that play unfolded, are pretty awesome.

I read an article from the New York Times that says he caught one other pass in 1973 during mop up time. It also says he never caught a pass from Clements even in warm ups. Weber states he had never run the play in practice or any pass play in practice.

Its hard to top that game-ender against Bama.

I will say the 4th and goal pass to Bettis and following 2 pointer, and the way that play unfolded, are pretty awesome.
Yup. The Bettis catch was nothing easy giving the circumstances and the weather. Reggie Brooks 2 point catch has to be the most exciting and nerve racking play. That play is a close 2nd for me.

While we lost the game, Derrick Mayes touchdown catch from Tom Krug over Samari Rolle in the 1996 Orange Bowl was incredible. I’ll give a shoutout to Lenzy vs. Navy too. What a catch that was.

No doubt, that might be a different category as you dont know if that was the game winner. You know it seems like it, but if he drops it maybe Bama fumbles the punt. Maybe Bama is held by the D. Maybe Bama wins, we dont know. The others, we know. ND loses.

Reactions: Kelso86
For some reason, of the 3 I put in the start of this it was the Quinn to Shark 1, Boykin 2 and Fuller 3....

The BK/Shark included not just the catch but the run after like Boykin....

Enjoyed the memories boys......Will say the Fuller has a special place in my heart....was in a bar in Key West...i had several UVA fans that felt just like the kid they STILL play today when they show disspointment clips....

No doubt, that might be a different category as you dont know if that was the game winner. You know it seems like it, but if he drops it maybe Bama fumbles the punt. Maybe Bama is held by the D. Maybe Bama wins, we dont know. The others, we know. ND loses.
True. But that pass n catch sealed the victory for ND.

Reactions: HDK
I think you are setting too high a bar for the Clements-to-Weber play.

In the Sugar Bowl, Notre Dame would have been punting from the end zone, and Alabama would have had a great chance to field the punt around the ND 45. A decent return would have put them close to field goal range with almost two minutes to play.

The three plays you mentioned were great (I especially like the Fuller catch not only for the deflated UVA fan they show, but for the young ND fan sitting in the endzone who reacts to the catch, which you can see in some replays), but none had a national championship on the line.

No doubt that was a game saving catch. Its more like the throw and catch from Book to Avery Davis....but agree, amazing throw and catch...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT