ADVERTISEMENT

Be Honest

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
How many here liked the hire?

I remember thinking, not Brian Kelly from Cinci whose teams are all flash no post game sizzle?

And then he took the mike and said "I am thrilled to Take over NOTER DOM"

That was the icing, his articulation just hung in the air like a fart.

No, count me as never a fan of the hire

You?

Reactions: end_23
I liked the hire. I was very encouraged by the initial presser, about how running the football was the best way to break another teams will; and how ND was going to score fast and often!

and then...

I liked the hirer. Thought it was a big time improvement over Weis and the other cast of characters ND was trotting through.

I never liked the hire, and I compared Kelly,s system to a Joe Tiller. I was called every type of name in the book for my ignorance of football !

How many here liked the hire?

I remember thinking, not Brian Kelly from Cinci whose teams are all flash no post game sizzle?

And then he took the mike and said "I am thrilled to Take over NOTER DOM"

That was the icing, his articulation just hung in the air like a fart.

No, count me as never a fan of the hire

You?
I thought he was THE BEST alternative of the guys who were realistically available to us at the end of 2009. Home run hire.

Reactions: perseverare
I liked the hire. He had head coaching experience and success at three previous schools.
I think since Holtz I wanted them to hire Tom Coughlin, Urban Meyer,
I like O'Leary and I actually wanted Brian Kelly.

Going forward, I want a coach that knows defense and has a power running game but first and foremost wants to physically win the football game.

Kelly won't make it past next year unless he lands Aaron Lynch and Tuitt in this recruiting class.
The defensive line will be a dumpster fire next year.
The school needs to figure out defensive line recruiting.

I wish we could retrieve all the comments from the day BK was hired. That's the only way to keep everyone "honest".

I was excited for the hire. At that time he was clearly the hottest up and coming coach in football. My concerns were his offensive system and recruiting ability.

At the time Chris Peterson was my #1 choice but I knew our chances of getting him were slim. BK was my 2nd choice with Gary Patterson a close 3rd. Other than Saban and Meyer, who absolutely weren't leaving their respective schools, those 3 coaches were the top of everyone's wish list and 2 of them were going to be extremely hard to pry away from their schools, so I really thought we ended up with the best realistic option.

I liked the hire a lot. His resume was impressive and the job he did at Cincinnati convinced me he would turn ND around quickly. I saw offenses taking over college football, and the spread hurry up offense putting up huge numbers, and he was sold as an innovative expert in same. Ski, I feel like I just got up at a local AA mtg and publicly announced my failing!

At the time I thought we got Chip Kelly so I was a little disappointed when I found out it was Brian Kelly but I was satisfied with the hire anyway.

Didn't like it after watching one Cincy game. They won, something like 45-44 ... and I thought "all offense, no defense" something ND doesn't need.

Reactions: end_23
I was majorly stoked to get Kelly. He was successful at every head coaching gig he held, which seemed like a way better resume than Charlie Weis'. Of course, I don't remember the Noter Dom fart hanging in the air, so I may have missed that key clue!

I never liked the hire.. especially on seeing the reactions of the cinci players.
Just left a bad impression..

Im so done with this guy...

I was hopeful. Though not a choice I was thrilled over. However, he did come in with 20 plus seasons of head coaching expierence and he knew how to win. I knew he ran the spread. I'm not a fan of that style but I thought maybe it could work and we'd see a a lot of points scored. With that said, I don't hate hiring him. I do think he has peaked at ND. This year has been awful. He has done a good job making the Irish somewhat relevant. Now I think it's time to make a change and get a coach who can get them back as a consistent top 10 program. I doubt Swarbrick will make a move at this point.

my first choice was C. Petersen - dont know if JACK even pursued him. Which obviously was HUGE mistake #1 by Jack.

As for BK - at the time I was ok with it for the fact that on paper he he seemed like a good choice.

But, His former Cincy players ripped him a new ahole for how his mislead them. IF his players really liked him they would of been happy for him - none seemed happy - they were pissed.

And I remember watching that 45 to 44 game he had at the end of the year that last season at Cincy - it was on ESPN. The No D concerned me and I remember him ripping his kicker( I think it was the kicker) a new a hole for doing something wrong and thought - wow - this guy is a hard ass - which I was ok with - but I could tell the kicker looked visibly shaken by his beat down on National TV.

But he is in over his head at ND. And in the Tulsa game first season - when he coached a win into a loss - I couldn't believe he had just pulled a CW move in his first season - w/ many more to come.

I was fine with it. I figured he'd go 9-3 every season. I wanted Bob Stoops though. His resume speaks for itself. He's done everything. Kelly hasn't done much of anything positive at ND.

Never liked it. He was in over his head from the start. GVS and one good year at Cincy. Bailed on his cincy team after going undefeated and going to a bowl. He's an arrogant fraud.

Never liked it. He was in over his head from the start. GVS and one good year at Cincy. Bailed on his cincy team after going undefeated and going to a bowl. He's an arrogant fraud.

um -- 3 straight championship games at GVS (winning 2), and he had 3 good years at Cincinnati -- 10-3, 11-3, 12-0 -- overall, 33-6 -- would not call that simply 1 good year.

As far as bailing out on his team after going undefeated -- he fully wanted to coach that team in the bowl game -- it was the University of Cincinnati who decided that he was not going to coach -- please know your facts.

As someone stated, he was the best option at the time based on who was available. His problem is that he simply does not have an identity -- other than the fact that he does not have an identity and seems to tailor his approach to each team, rather than running a consistent offensive scheme.

No. Didn't like the hire. Hated the spread then, hate it now. Always believed top programs would catch up to stopping it. Plus, it wasn't a good fit for a cold weather team location. And, it would put a premium on unbalanced recruiting.

No. Didn't like the hire. Hated the spread then, hate it now. Always believed top programs would catch up to stopping it. Plus, it wasn't a good fit for a cold weather team location. And, it would put a premium on unbalanced recruiting.

Then why does OSU do so well with the spread (cold weather team)? Bama -- has now incorporated the spread into the scheme. Hell, Clemson has rode it rather well the last few years --

Reactions: Bumpdaddy
forget about date of hire, look at 2012 and again at 2015. Most here were giddy about BK. Many threads proclaimed him to be a Top 5 college coach just behind Saban and Meyer. Go back in the threads about 2 years and you'll see what I mean. Those takes seemed comical then and have proven to be more comical now.

When I saw how he treated Dayne, that told me all I needed to know about Kelly. That was not from a 'kind heart'

forget about date of hire, look at 2012 and again at 2015. Most here were giddy about BK. Many threads proclaimed him to be a Top 5 college coach just behind Saban and Meyer. Go back in the threads about 2 years and you'll see what I mean. Those takes seemed comical then and have proven to be more comical now.
Twelve months ago THIS WEEK the debate was about if we could get into the playoff at 11-1 without the benefit of a conference championship game, assuming we beat Stanford. Nobody was worried about the ND administration de-emphasizing football or our program being in a death spiral we might never recover from. Kelly was undoubtedly a Top 10 coach, the argument was how high in the Top 10. One year ago this week.

Twelve months ago THIS WEEK the debate was about if we could get into the playoff at 11-1 without the benefit of a conference championship game, assuming we beat Stanford. Nobody was worried about the ND administration de-emphasizing football or our program being in a death spiral we might never recover from. Kelly was undoubtedly a Top 10 coach, the argument was how high in the Top 10. One year ago this week.

The whole "death spiral" thing is a concoction of a single poster. No one else here is taking that seriously.

it's not a death spiral, or a "sky is falling" moment. But it is time to change coaches. Kelly has done alot of good at ND regarding the program in general. He just can't win on the field. He reached his Max. It's not a crime, it's a reality. If ND truly wants to be a Football power and so-called "compete for National Championships" then a change absolutely needs to be made. It's rather obvious. He hasn't beaten a top 10 team since 2012, and they were Weis' recruits. Any Football power school would not accept the results we have seen over 7 years.

Reactions: IrishBlessings
it's not a death spiral, or a "sky is falling" moment. But it is time to change coaches. Kelly has done alot of good at ND regarding the program in general. He just can't win on the field. He reached his Max. It's not a crime, it's a reality. If ND truly wants to be a Football power and so-called "compete for National Championships" then a change absolutely needs to be made. It's rather obvious. He hasn't beaten a top 10 team since 2012, and they were Weis' recruits. Any Football power school would not accept the results we have seen over 7 years.
No argument here.

oh no. some saw events beyond 1 season and saw how recruiting was shaping things to come.
maybe warnings went un- noticed because it was not in form of a 10,000 word essay saying otherwise!

Last edited:
BK was the hot ticket back then. If some were not on board with his hiring, they sure kept quiet about it. Now, if you want to say there was a giganto red flag after the Tulsa game, that would be a fair assessment. Jack has aid BK will be back in 2017 and all we can do is take the mans word for it. BK needs to hit some home runs with his hire of a DC and hopefully a Special Teams Coord, then he needs to do some deep self evaluation and , not try, but actually become a much better Head Coach in 2017.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT