ADVERTISEMENT

Bama intimidated ND prior to BCS NC game.

That's squarely on the HC not having them believing they can win.

Could you imagine if the 88 team was intimidated by the Canes? Lou would never have allowed it. His teams on game day believed they were invincible.

Was at the game. 20 rows off. Bama were men, had the body types of mature 25 year olds….we were college boys, pimples and all. Their OL outweighed us by 60 lbs per. The physical difference was stark. Their RBs were as bigger than our LBs and close to some of our DL.

Doesn’t excuse Kelly’s poor prep but no way that wasn’t happening

Reactions: chaseball
Reactions: BGI User 756
An absolute travesty if they were truly intimidated. I don’t automatically accept the intimidation as true. It doesn’t add up. I find it to be revisionist history and wish Te’o had not said what he said. I also believe he contradicted himself.

They got out-coached by a far superior staff. Did Alabama have better players? Yes. That doesn’t mean that the game was a foregone conclusion.

How in the world does Navy beat the piss out of Notre Dame in 2010 (and win in 2007, 2009, and 2016). Don’t you think Notre Dame had far superior athletes in those games?

Reactions: NDinNJ
Teo also seemed to put it on the other guys but can’t help but feel this is the way he felt. He was flat out pushed around for 60 minutes and still might have Eddie Lacies cleat marks on this chest. One of my favorites of all time but he was awful in that game.

Was at the game. 20 rows off. Bama were men, had the body types of mature 25 year olds….we were college boys, pimples and all. Their OL outweighed us by 60 lbs per. The physical difference was stark. Their RBs were as bigger than our LBs and close to some of our DL.

Doesn’t excuse Kelly’s poor prep but no way that wasn’t happening
sadly that was our best collection of talent in the last 15 years. And even worse, nothing has changed in terms of the talent difference 12 years later.

An absolute travesty if they were truly intimidated. I don’t automatically accept the intimidation as true. It doesn’t add up. I find it to be revisionist history and wish Te’o had not said what he said. I also believe he contradicted himself.

They got out-coached by a far superior staff. Did Alabama have better players? Yes. That doesn’t mean that the game was a foregone conclusion.

How in the world does Navy beat the piss out of Notre Dame in 2010 (and win in 2007, 2009, and 2016). Don’t you think Notre Dame had far superior athletes in those games?
Body language that day supports the notion. Knew a couple of kids on the team, all were not starters, and they concur. Said it was a whupping

this is the moment manti teo was describing in the video:

Last edited:
i remember after the game, they asked a bama player what team Notre Dame reminded them of in the SEC, and that player responded "Ole Miss" .. mind you this was back when ole miss was 7-6 overall and 3-5 in the SEC lol

Last edited:
sadly that was our best collection of talent in the last 15 years. And even worse, nothing has changed in terms of the talent difference 12 years later.
That team had some studs: Eifert, Teo, Martin, Riddick, Wood, Tuitt, Nix but some glaring holes at WR, secondary, OL and most notably QB.

Depth was awful on that team, not a real “collection” of talent. Recruiting has much improved, look at the LBs outside Teo. Depth is 100x better

Body language that day supports the notion. Knew a couple of kids on the team, all were not starters, and they concur. Said it was a whupping
Body language at what time in the game? A couple of players on the team concurred what? A whooping, or that there were people wide-eyed and scared?

That team had some studs: Eifert, Teo, Martin, Riddick, Wood, Tuitt, Nix but some glaring holes at WR, secondary, OL and most notably QB.

Depth was awful on that team, not a real “collection” of talent. Recruiting has much improved, look at the LBs outside Teo. Depth is 100x better
agree

Body language at what time in the game? A couple of players on the team concurred what? A whooping, or that there were people wide-eyed and scared?
Body language from KO on. Couple players later concurred that Bama was physically intimidating. The game was a whupping.

Caught up now?

This is what happens when as a coach you keep telling your players to take a business approach to each game. That may work with inferior teams, but you have to turn on that switch against the elite teams or you'll get smoked most times.

Reactions: ZibbyQuinn
This is what happens when as a coach you keep telling your players to take a business approach to each game. That may work with inferior teams, but you have to turn on that switch against the elite teams or you'll get smoked most times.
That business approach also led to a 2012 12-0 regular season. Beats being 9-3 and sitting at home.

Same happened in 2018 and 2020, undefeated regular seasons. All some people point to is losing to great Alabama teams. Or a great Clemson team.

Body language from KO on. Couple players later concurred that Bama was physically intimidating. The game was a whupping.

Caught up now?
Caught up? Not so much other than that I see you’re the type to make weasel comments because someone wanted to ask some questions for clarification.

That business approach also led to a 2012 12-0 regular season. Beats being 9-3 and sitting at home.

Same happened in 2018 and 2020, undefeated regular seasons. All some people point to is losing to great Alabama teams. Or a great Clemson team.
Again, it works against inferior opponents, but when you come up against top 5, top 10 teams we've seen the results over those years. Not to mention the Miami, Michigan, Stanford games.

in case its unclear to anybody this is the video we are discussing (i also edited a previous post to include it):

Again, it works against inferior opponents, but when you come up against top 5, top 10 teams we've seen the results over those years. Not to mention the Miami, Michigan, Stanford games.
Allow Notre Dame to recruit kids where the NFL is a major, the results will be different.

Allow Notre Dame to recruit kids where the NFL is a major, the results will be different.
Notre Dame is already trying to appeal to prospects that want to major in NFL.

From various leaks in the local media via their podcasts, they said this was the reason for going after guys like Denbrock (because of his role developing NFL players at WR & QB at LSU). Same with Al Golden, given his NFL pedigree prior to his hire. Notre Dame knows that prospects want to go to organizations where they can best prepare themselves for the next level.

ND is ponying up for coaches to appeal to prospects that want to master in football.

It's a nice attempt but far more needs to be done to give the program every advantage possible to close on top talent on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
I personally don’t think they were intimidated or scared. Overmatched yes.
I remember watching the broadcast live of that game of Bama players coming out of the tunnel and noticing the contrast between ND and Alabama players in terms of sheer body mass difference. I was scared for them.

After the first couple of drives, the way ND was bouncing off the opposing players like a mighty ducks movie, i basically turned the TV off and was convinced it was over, prior to the 7 minute mark in the first quarter.

Last edited:

I disagree. What other approach is there to be taken? What do you mean by “turn on the switch”? I’m genuinely asking and not being a jerk.

You practice and prepare with maximum effort and attention to detail. Then you do the same in the game.

Notre Dame can still win with the right coach and the right recruiting effort. ND had a coach for 12 years that shopped down a different aisle. It's refreshing to see a coach shopping down the big boy aisle whether or not he closes them, it's a start.

I disagree. What other approach is there to be taken? What do you mean by “turn on the switch”? I’m genuinely asking and not being a jerk.

You practice and prepare with maximum effort and attention to detail. Then you do the same in the game.
Watch the video someone posted, you can see the difference in the players attitudes between Alabama and ND. "Turn on a switch" is a saying, no offense, but you clearly never played sports if you hadn't heard of it.

Watch the video someone posted, you can see the difference in the players attitudes between Alabama and ND. "Turn on a switch" is a saying, no offense, but you clearly never played sports if you hadn't heard of it.
I’ve watched the video. I’m fairly certain that I’ve heard the saying, and I’ve played some sports. I was asking what you mean by turn on a switch. Do you mean get hyped? Emotional?

Getting hyped or emotional in a positive way has little to do with beating your opponent. If you get out-schemed, out-called, or out-executed, then none of that matters.

I’ve watched the video. I’m fairly certain that I’ve heard the saying, and I’ve played some sports. I was asking what you mean by turn on a switch. Do you mean get hyped? Emotional?

Getting hyped or emotional in a positive way has little to do with beating your opponent. If you get out-schemed, out-called, or out-executed, then none of that matters.
Or in the case of ND playing any game against the first-tier over the last 20 some years: out-manned/out-gunned/out-horsed

No getting ready for a war, a battle. Football on the football field is not a business transaction. it's a war! Going out there and knocking someone on their ass. Kelly's snoozer pre-game speeches did nothing to get this team ready mentally. How many times did we see a Kelly coached team come out flat and get blown out. These are 18-21 year old kids, they need a coach that's going to get the mentally prepared that can run through a brick wall. It may not work, but at least you give the players that confidence and edge.

X2.

Pre game speeches do not mean a damn thing. "Getting ready for a war..." does not mean a damn thing. Having Georgia or Alabama level talent for 60 minutes wins titles.

There's a reason why the SEC has dominated CFB titles the last 15 years. And it isn't because of Nick Saban or Kirby Smart pre game speeches.

No getting ready for a war, a battle. Football on the football field is not a business transaction. it's a war! Going out there and knocking someone on their ass. Kelly's snoozer pre-game speeches did nothing to get this team ready mentally. How many times did we see a Kelly coached team come out flat and get blown out. These are 18-21 year old kids, they need a coach that's going to get the mentally prepared that can run through a brick wall. It may not work, but at least you give the players that confidence and edge.
I agree that his speeches and what he would say was dumb. At least the 2021 Cincinnati halftime talk if I recall correctly.

You’re talking about getting ready for war and battle. How would someone go about that? Would you say emotional/hyped? What’s the difference between the two? I think the mentally prepared to run through a brick wall comes in the offseason and during practice/preparation. Being overly hyped and aggressive can be a bad thing.

I think the whole “came out flat” thing that people talk about is way overrated. People talk about that 2019 Michigan game. ND came out so flat that it was 17-7 late in the third? They also screwed up by attempting to pick up a blocked punt and turned it back over. Maybe they get a field goal or TD there and it’s 17-10 or 17-14 late in the third? That doesn’t sound too flat to me.

I agree that his speeches and what he would say was dumb. At least the 2021 Cincinnati halftime talk if I recall correctly.

You’re talking about getting ready for war and battle. How would someone go about that? Would you say emotional/hyped? What’s the difference between the two? I think the mentally prepared to run through a brick wall comes in the offseason and during practice/preparation. Being overly hyped and aggressive can be a bad thing.

I think the whole “came out flat” thing that people talk about is way overrated. People talk about that 2019 Michigan game. ND came out so flat that it was 17-7 late in the third? They also screwed up by attempting to pick up a blocked punt and turned it back over. Maybe they get a field goal or TD there and it’s 17-10 or 17-14 late in the third? That doesn’t sound too flat to me.
You can craft a narrative to suit any argument you want to make.

It's a real thing

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT