ADVERTISEMENT

Away Team Advise

Dec 18, 2019
Clemson fan coming in peace.

Never been to south bend so looking for some advise. Group of 8 early 30s (not going to stay out all night, but will half way check out bar scene). Have traveled to one away game a year since graduation and ND was the obvious choice this year.
Must go bars/restaurants?
Can’t miss game day traditions?
Tail gate areas?

Flights and tickets have been secured. I booked an Airbnb just want to make sure we aren’t in the heart of a bad part of town. Unfortunately have made that mistake before. Current place is near ST Joes High School. Good enough area?

Any other advise will be much appreciated. Cheers to hoping we’re both undefeated when we meet

Never been to south bend so looking for some advise. Group of 8 early 30s (not going to stay out all night, but will half way check out bar scene). Have traveled to one away game a year since graduation and ND was the obvious choice this year.
Tail gate areas?

Flights and tickets have been secured. I booked an Airbnb just want to make sure we aren’t in the heart of a bad part of town. Unfortunately have made that mistake before. Current place is near ST Joes High School. Good enough area?

Any other advise will be much appreciated. Cheers to hoping we’re both undefeated when we meet

St. Joe's High School area is probably ok. Daughter used to live a couple of blocks south east of St Joe's when she was a professor at ND.

Bars & restaurants depends on what your tastes are and how much you're willing to spend. There aren't a whole lot of really good places in South Bend, so on a football weekend the good ones become quite crowded.

The following link may be of some assistance relating to Friday and game day activities. https://gameday.nd.edu

Welcome, Clempson11! Glad to have you on the ND board. Below are some fun things to do while you're at ND. Keep in mind, though, that I graduated in '09, so I'm certain lots of things have changed.

Bars
  1. Corby's (this is a staple in SB, and they have indoor/outdoor areas)
  2. The Exchange (good whiskey bar)
  3. CJ's Pub (fun bar and good burgers)
Restaurants
  1. Carmela's (Italian)
  2. JW Chen's (Chinese - the honey chicken is AMAZING)
  3. LaSalle Grill (American - very popular and somewhat fancy. Not sure you'll be able to get a reservation)
  4. Tippecanoe Place (Brunch is amazing)
  5. Cambodian Thai (Thai - their pad thai is great)
  6. Rocco's (Pizza!)
Gameday Traditions
  1. Drummer's circle is pretty cool.
  2. The grotto is a must visit if you're any sort of religious.
  3. Trumpets under the Dome
  4. Player's Walk
  5. Losing to ND :cool:
Tailgating is a mixed bag. I think ND may have something for visiting fans, but I'm not sure. Best bet would likely be to bring a couple of cases (or more) and challenge some ND fans to "games" if you see them playing. We are very receptive to away team fans! Hope you have an awesome time, and GO IRISH!

Welcome, Clempson11! Glad to have you on the ND board. Below are some fun things to do while you're at ND. Keep in mind, though, that I graduated in '09, so I'm certain lots of things have changed.

Bars
  1. Corby's (this is a staple in SB, and they have indoor/outdoor areas)
  2. The Exchange (good whiskey bar)
  3. CJ's Pub (fun bar and good burgers)
Restaurants
  1. Carmela's (Italian)
  2. JW Chen's (Chinese - the honey chicken is AMAZING)
  3. LaSalle Grill (American - very popular and somewhat fancy. Not sure you'll be able to get a reservation)
  4. Tippecanoe Place (Brunch is amazing)
  5. Cambodian Thai (Thai - their pad thai is great)
  6. Rocco's (Pizza!)
Gameday Traditions
  1. Drummer's circle is pretty cool.
  2. The grotto is a must visit if you're any sort of religious.
  3. Trumpets under the Dome
  4. Player's Walk
  5. Losing to ND :cool:
Tailgating is a mixed bag. I think ND may have something for visiting fans, but I'm not sure. Best bet would likely be to bring a couple of cases (or more) and challenge some ND fans to "games" if you see them playing. We are very receptive to away team fans! Hope you have an awesome time, and GO IRISH!

An addition to all that ... not sure if its still going on and good ... is game day BREAKFAST in the South Dining Hall. That used to be my favorite.

Tail gate areas?

Linebacker Lounge for a dive bar adjacent to the campus is a must IMO.

There used to be a trophy room in the ACC (now Purcell Pavilion) which had Heisman trophies, footballs from big games from years ago, and similar. It was worth seeing. Is that still there?

Reactions: sluggo69
Linebacker Lounge for a dive bar adjacent to the campus is a must IMO.
Oh god. That place is like a dirty zoo lol. My buddies and I used to put money down to try and get people to lick the support pole in the middle of the dance floor hahaha

Tail gate areas?

Are you giving us advice or advising us? I’m confused.

Oh god. That place is like a dirty zoo lol. My buddies and I used to put money down to try and get people to lick the support pole in the middle of the dance floor hahaha
I love the place. And considering the number of people that are typically in the bar, I am not alone.

I love the place. And considering the number of people that are typically in the bar, I am not alone.
I never said it wasn’t fun. Just feel like if you’re gonna recommend it to someone not familiar with the place, you should probably let them know what they’re walking into. It’s fun, but it’s not for everyone

I never said it wasn’t fun. Just feel like if you’re gonna recommend it to someone not familiar with the place, you should probably let them know what they’re walking into. It’s fun, but it’s not for everyone
The OP said "Group of 8, early 30's, half way check out the bar scene."

I loved your list. I would just add Linebacker Lounge.

The OP said "Group of 8, early 30's, half way check out the bar scene."

I loved your list. I would just add Linebacker Lounge.
Yeaaaaa you’re right on this one. I’m 34 and wouldn’t go there anymore, but that would likely change after a few drinks with 7 other friends lol.

Reactions: Kelso86 and sjb75
Sunny Italy good restaurant and Rocco’s pizza. Both are close to each other and not far from campus. South of ND and just east of downtown SB.

also Yesterday’s in Granger Indiana is great.

Reactions: Kontiki09
Sunny Italy good restaurant and Rocco’s pizza. Both are close to each other and not far from campus. South of ND and just east of downtown SB.

Yesterday's? Had to look this up ... apparently they are in a different location (but on same road) than I remembered from back in my daughter's student days.

And since the OP said they're staying in the St. Joe's area, both Sunny Italy and Rocco's are near by.

What establishment did Jimmy receive his black eye ?

Forgot about Sunny’s! Great spot

Tail gate areas?

Absolutely check out

Linebacker Lounge is an old school dive bar good for cheap beer to drink and get spilled on you.

I like goin to Fiddlers Hearth for dinner Friday night before heading back to Eddy Street / Campus area for Linebacker Lounge or Brother etc.

Rocco's good pizza.....make sure to see Trumpets under the Dome if you can on Friday and if you are there on Friday during the day get your bookstore visit out of the way as well as stop by Basilica just before it gets dark then the grotto after / as it gets dark if you can / before heading to Fiddlers and then of course Linebacker etc.

Gameday - Tailgate if you purchase a parking pass or just walk around and find some friendly fans in the stadium lot....if its cold (likely) head into O'Rourke's at Eddy Street Commons for a pint and watch some of the early games.

Enjoy and hopefully the fall leaves are still on the trees.....

Tail gate areas?

I attended the game at your place and was treated well by you folks. You will be treated well by ND fans.

Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT