ADVERTISEMENT

Avery Davis

4 years of watching, he should be anxious to get on the field! somewhere’s else.

BK is the one who talked up Avery. BK has a history of keeping players off the field when they should be contributing. We don't know what's up with Avery. He's supposed to be one of the fastest and BK was to use that speed to the offense advantage. Instead, he has a Sherman tank running sweeps. These dudes can't figure out a way to get that speed on the field to contribute?Remember when BK didn't play Braden because of fatigue? WTH does that even mean? BK's stubbornness kept Dexter off the field for way too long. Whatever happened to Kyren? Haven't see him since Louisville I believe, unless I just didn't notice him on the field. One mistake and that's that. Two guys are going to be on that field for sure, come hell or high water. Ian and Finke. Through bad times and good. The inconsistency is breath taking to say the least.
Even faster than Munir Prince “whoosh”

For a reason. When you can’t find a position for a player they aren’t a player.
It's up to the staff to develop this kid. Pick a position and develop him. Who the hell is going to exceed at anything at this level when the staff keeps moving him around. Avery had some decent offers out of HS and earned a ride to ND. That's more as a student-athlete than I can say about anyone around here.

It's up to the staff to develop this kid. Pick a position and develop him. Who the hell is going to exceed at anything at this level when the staff keeps moving him around. Avery had some decent offers out of HS and earned a ride to ND. That's more as a student-athlete than I can say about anyone around here.
He was offered as a QB and the writing was on the wall. Trying to get him on the field in different capacities but he hasn’t been the best guy at those positions in terms of earning playing time.

How could Avery develop in any position at a high level when he keeps getting moved around? QB to DB to some type of Receiver to some type of RB. Switch Dexter Williams every single year to a different position and see if he is the RB we all knew and loved. You probably could get away with it at the D3 level or below, but at the high end class of college football? No way. Avery took it like a man. No complaints. Great team guy. ND degree. To reduce his ability as an athlete is low brow. He deserves better but can't expect much more from a message board.

BK is the one who talked up Avery. BK has a history of keeping players off the field when they should be contributing. We don't know what's up with Avery. He's supposed to be one of the fastest and BK was to use that speed to the offense advantage. Instead, he has a Sherman tank running sweeps. These dudes can't figure out a way to get that speed on the field to contribute?Remember when BK didn't play Braden because of fatigue? WTH does that even mean? BK's stubbornness kept Dexter off the field for way too long. Whatever happened to Kyren? Haven't see him since Louisville I believe, unless I just didn't notice him on the field. One mistake and that's that. Two guys are going to be on that field for sure, come hell or high water. Ian and Finke. Through bad times and good. The inconsistency is breath taking to say the least.
Dexter spent 3 years being a knucklehead. When he got his crap together he played and did well. Williams it was reported months ago was a redshirt.

Last week it was pile on Phil week. It's Avery's turn this week. He put in the work and did the best he could, short of sitting anonymously behind a keyboard and criticizing others.

Reactions: d1042
hope he choses right and gets his shot to start and realize his college football dreams.

Take it easy, Toby. Nobody says the kid can’t play. The discussion was more about what he’s shown so far. You’re right, they’ve moved him around so it’s not easy to shine when you’re learning on the fly, but it’s not as though his play has jumped off the screen. That was my point, that his play so far is reason for not having high expectations, not because he wasn’t a highly ranked recruit. His play in college, which we’ve been able to witness, is worth much more than some recruiting service’s evaluation.

He has had one play vs New Mexico where no one around him, other than that he’s looked awful.

why do people expect big things out of him? He’s shown nothing and wasn’t a big recruit.
He's one of those guys that bloomed late and now is one of the best raw athletes on the team.
ND does an NFL combine-like exercise every off-season and apparently his SPARQ scores have improved every year he's been on the team and he's now one of the best raw athletes on the roster.

This also happened to guys like CJ Prosise and Will Fuller. Guys who came into camp and materialized into some of the best athletes in the entire country and lead ND to its best offense during the BK era back in 2015.

Not saying Davis is the next Fuller/Prosise but the raw materials are there for some serious upside if he can find a position to stick at.

Last edited:
I was pointing out people get excited about players for one or two reasons. They were a highly regarded recruit that everyone wanted or they’ve flashed and shown signs of being a stud. I think we both agree Davis isn’t or hasn’t done either. It’s not like Wu where he flashed in the spring game and you were like woah!
The reason why there was Wu hype was because he too started killing it in camps in tangible situations like 40 time/cone drill/etc. improvement, weight lifting gains, less body fat percentage, more weight, and more weight-adjusted speed ..

Match that with the visual evidence you see on film and this is how guys turn into legitimate star players.

Avery Davis has been flashing raw athleticism that indicates there might be some real potential. I'd rather have a guy like him on the roster than some 5th year three star 3rd/4th player stuck on the depth chart somewhere.

Reactions: TheSodFather

Fine... but who does he play in front of? Book? No. Dexter Williams and Tony Jones? No. Finke? No. Claypool? No. etc... It happens. Coaches are trying to win ball games. They have given every opportunity to Avery to jump ahead of these guys. Like K. Russell did. Like Kevin Stephenson did. If he was that good of an player he would have jumped Jafar when both went to RB as a Sophomores. Didn't happen. I really hope things work out for Avery. Great kid. But in my time watching him play I didn't see any reason to give him a more prominent spot. If he is so good -- go get Finke's job now!

Reactions: Golson5
Avery came in with no great expectations. He was a three star with some decent offers, ND being the best. Apparently, BK saw something that they thought they could utilize other than just taking up space. When you come in with no great expectations , then endure position switch after position switch, what the hell did everyone think would happen? Here is what Avery had to endure from the loyal true blue Irish nation, just in this thread. "Jack of all trades, Master of none". "He's looked awful. Afraid of contact". "When you can't find a position for a player, they aren't a player". These quotes coming from fans who have been there and done that. Experienced the blood sweat and tears of victory and the agony of defeat. LOL! Never said Avery was going to be a stud. I do believe there is some place on the field that he can contribute. You just can't plug him in anywhere and say go. Put in half the time that they have invested in Ian and you just might have a contributor on your hands.

Avery came in with no great expectations. He was a three star with some decent offers, ND being the best. Apparently, BK saw something that they thought they could utilize other than just taking up space. When you come in with no great expectations , then endure position switch after position switch, what the hell did everyone think would happen? Here is what Avery had to endure from the loyal true blue Irish nation, just in this thread. "Jack of all trades, Master of none". "He's looked awful. Afraid of contact". "When you can't find a position for a player, they aren't a player". These quotes coming from fans who have been there and done that. Experienced the blood sweat and tears of victory and the agony of defeat. LOL! Never said Avery was going to be a stud. I do believe there is some place on the field that he can contribute. You just can't plug him in anywhere and say go. Put in half the time that they have invested in Ian and you just might have a contributor on your hands.
He’s exactly as you said, a 3 star with minimal expectations. He hasn’t exceeded those expectations. That’s fine. I’m not mad at him but I also don’t expect much out of him. That’s fine.

If there’s a place on the field he could contribute he would have because we are weak at his last two positions. Corner and rb. Maybe special teams.

He’s exactly as you said, a 3 star with minimal expectations. He hasn’t exceeded those expectations. That’s fine. I’m not mad at him but I also don’t expect much out of him. That’s fine.

If there’s a place on the field he could contribute he would have because we are weak at his last two positions. Corner and rb. Maybe special teams.

CJ Prosise bounced around for a few years making minimal impact at different positions then he exploded into an NFL draft pick at RB when all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart got injured in 2015.

Point is that when a guy shows some distinguishable qualities as an athlete you have to take him seriously as someone who might be able to make an impact. Who knows, maybe he learns the nuances of a skill position this off-season and materializes into a star in 2020?

I am confident that if he has something to offer BK will find a place for him and wring every ounce of production he possibly can out of him. BK has few equals when it comes to getting more from the bottom half of his roster.

It's that top flight/A1/best player in the country that BK has a problem finding/procuring/developing at anywhere other than offensive line that is holding the program back more than anything else. Those type of players are appalled by BK for some reason.

Last edited:
CJ Prosise bounced around for a few years making minimal impact at different positions then he exploded into an NFL draft pick at RB when all the guys ahead of him on the depth chart got injured in 2015.

Point is that when a guy shows some distinguishable qualities as an athlete you have to take him seriously as someone who might be able to make an impact. Who knows, maybe he learns the nuances of a skill position this off-season and materializes into a star in 2020?

I am confident that if he has something to offer BK will find a place for him and wring every ounce of production he possibly can out of him. BK has few equals when it comes to getting more from the bottom half of his roster.

It's that top flight/A1/best player in the country that BK has a problem finding/procuring/developing at anywhere other than offensive line that is holding the program back more than anything else. Those type of players are appalled by BK for some reason.
What distinguishable qualities has Davis shown? He has 28 rushes for 80 yards his first two years.

Procise made an impact immediately upon getting playing time. Davis hasn't made an impact yet he's gotten opportunities the last two years. Procise got 10 carries for 126 yards and a bunch of receptions for over 500 yards his first year getting meaningful snaps.

My point is i'm in agreement with you, if avery davis was good BK would be playing him. He's not playing him when he's been trying to play our two weakest positions at CB and RB. That says something.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT