ADVERTISEMENT

Avery Davis

lyonhawk

ND Expert
Sep 8, 2003
With question marks at WR, RB, and CB next year, hopefully Avery Davis can finally find his role. We’ve been hearing how great of an athlete he is. There should be an opening somewhere to get him on the field next year.

With question marks at WR, RB, and CB next year, hopefully Avery Davis can finally find his role. We’ve been hearing how great of an athlete he is. There should be an opening somewhere to get him on the field next year.

It is always an interesting journey for guys who are offensive players coming out of high school and then transition to the other side of the ball, I have not heard much about him moving to corner full time though. Might be someone Lea could use in dime packages. He has a least 8 or 9 catches this season including those 2 TDs. Another example of the talented depth that we will have next year, I am sure he will contribute.

It is always an interesting journey for guys who are offensive players coming out of high school and then transition to the other side of the ball, I have not heard much about him moving to corner full time though. Might be someone Lea could use in dime packages. He has a least 8 or 9 catches this season including those 2 TDs. Another example of the talented depth that we will have next year, I am sure he will contribute.
Didn’t he move to corner in the spring and then back to WR after Austin got suspended and Michael Young got hurt to start the season?

Didn’t he move to corner in the spring and then back to WR after Austin got suspended and Michael Young got hurt to start the season?

Yeah, he has been all over the place. He is actually rostered as a corner on ESPN and other sites. He is multi talented, one of those guys you can see us bringing in for a trick play where he is lined up at the X or Y and motions for a jet sweep and then throws to Lenzy up the seam!

I would say he is a transfer candidate. Jack of all trades master of none. Cant find his niche

He has had one play vs New Mexico where no one around him, other than that he’s looked awful.

why do people expect big things out of him? He’s shown nothing and wasn’t a big recruit.

I thought that he could become a really good CB or Nickel. I was bummed when they moved him back to RB. I don't believe he will transfer anywhere unless he graduates early. QB to RB to CB to RB in his last 3 years. He would have been gone by know if the school wasn't the main issue with him.

BK is the one who talked up Avery. BK has a history of keeping players off the field when they should be contributing. We don't know what's up with Avery. He's supposed to be one of the fastest and BK was to use that speed to the offense advantage. Instead, he has a Sherman tank running sweeps. These dudes can't figure out a way to get that speed on the field to contribute?Remember when BK didn't play Braden because of fatigue? WTH does that even mean? BK's stubbornness kept Dexter off the field for way too long. Whatever happened to Kyren? Haven't see him since Louisville I believe, unless I just didn't notice him on the field. One mistake and that's that. Two guys are going to be on that field for sure, come hell or high water. Ian and Finke. Through bad times and good. The inconsistency is breath taking to say the least.

Reactions: valianted25
BK is the one who talked up Avery. BK has a history of keeping players off the field when they should be contributing. We don't know what's up with Avery. He's supposed to be one of the fastest and BK was to use that speed to the offense advantage. Instead, he has a Sherman tank running sweeps. These dudes can't figure out a way to get that speed on the field to contribute?Remember when BK didn't play Braden because of fatigue? WTH does that even mean? BK's stubbornness kept Dexter off the field for way too long. Whatever happened to Kyren? Haven't see him since Louisville I believe, unless I just didn't notice him on the field. One mistake and that's that. Two guys are going to be on that field for sure, come hell or high water. Ian and Finke. Through bad times and good. The inconsistency is breath taking to say the least.
Finke didn’t play vs Stanford except punt returns. And I’m pretty sure Kyren redshirted.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Kyren played his 4 games and is redshirting. Claypool and Kmet are always on the field. Finke was injured and didn't play wr against Stanford. Avery is not a running back

We don't know what Avery is because he's rarely on the field. The sample size is small and none of us are at practice to play judge and jury. BK talked him up so should we now question BK's judgement? I have my doubts sometimes. This is one of those times.

We don't know what Avery is because he's rarely on the field. The sample size is small and none of us are at practice to play judge and jury. BK talked him up so should we now question BK's judgement? I have my doubts sometimes. This is one of those times.
Hes afraid of contact. He has straight line speed not very good laterally. Hes not a running back. That is why he got moved to defense

Reactions: NotreDomer1
Hes afraid of contact. He has straight line speed not very good laterally. Hes not a running back. That is why he got moved to defense
Hope that’s not the case. I’d rather have someone who’s afraid of contact at WR than anywhere on defense

I could not have said it better myself. You are spot on.

I was really pulling for Avery. I want to see all our guys succeed on and off the field. I know none of us take any joy watching an Irish student athlete fall short of their potential.

I’m pretty sure Tony Jones Jr. won’t be back at ND next year.

I was at the BC game and the PA guy Mike Collins said during senior day intros, “taking the field for the final time at Notre Dame, Tony Jones Jr.”

He didn’t say that line when introducing all the other players with one-year of eligibility remaining. I found that interesting.

I was at the BC game and the PA guy Mike Collins said during senior day intros, “taking the field for the final time at Notre Dame, Tony Jones Jr.”

He didn’t say that line when introducing all the other players with one-year of eligibility remaining. I found that interesting.
Did you notice that Mike Collins was not the stadium P.A. announcer in the second half? Not sure why. That was strange hearing someone else. Certainly not as good. Someday, Mike will call it a career.

Wrong again dummy. He will be back.

Reactions: TOMMY_23
Yeah, he really stunk it up in the bowl game.....why did BK play him?
He played very well. He's a good back, not elite. ND should be able to do better, however the kid had a great game and has a lot of heart.

“why do people expect big things out of him? He’s shown nothing and wasn’t a big recruit.”

I 100% agree about him not showing anything so far and maybe I’m nitpicking, but I don’t know why not being “a big recruit” is a factor. There are plenty of examples of players that aren’t “big recruits” that end up being great players. One has nothing to do w/ the other necessarily. If he had shown us anything up until now, it would’ve been because he’s a good player, not because he was a “big recruit”. There are plenty of examples of lower ranked players turning out to be 5 star players regardless of their recruiting rankings and vice versa (plenty of 5 stars that don’t pan out), don’t you think? Again, not as a rule, but had he been a big recruit and played like he has, he’d still have shown us nothing, regardless of his ranking, right? Sounds like a little too much star gazing that really has no relevance once the recruits hit the college field.

Last edited:
Nasty, I apologize. I think you were just trying to say that our expectation levels should be tempered because he wasn’t a big recruit. I get that, but I was referring more to what he has shown us as proof that we shouldn’t expect much, more-so than what he was ranked coming out of high school. What he’s shown us is empirical data, the rankings, not so much, is my point.

Nasty, I apologize. I think you were just trying to say that our expectation levels should be tempered because he wasn’t a big recruit. I get that, but I was referring more to what he has shown us as proof that we shouldn’t expect much, more-so than what he was ranked coming out of high school. What he’s shown us is empirical data, the rankings, not so much, is my point.
I was pointing out people get excited about players for one or two reasons. They were a highly regarded recruit that everyone wanted or they’ve flashed and shown signs of being a stud. I think we both agree Davis isn’t or hasn’t done either. It’s not like Wu where he flashed in the spring game and you were like woah!

Reactions: francade
It's not like he has played an awful lot this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT