ADVERTISEMENT

Austin...

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Lost in all the Book talk was the play of #4 Kevin Austin... (2 catches/35yrds) That catch he made (out of bounds, wide throw) was Floyd-like in the way the ball stuck to his hands. Kid's gonna be a good one; Boykin better step it up!

I know it was mop-up time but #34 Jahmir Smith impressed me with his hard inside running. A battering ram. (Okay, just two runs but 8 yrds/carry but runs hard and low, a future first down machine?)

Bo Bauer seemed a bit lost at times, but when he makes a hit, you can feel it. (6 tackles)

Houston Griffith is developing nicely. Looks confident out there for a Freshman.

Can we get our soon-to-be 5* Kyle Hamilton (6'3") a year early to win some jump balls in the end zone next week?

Second your thoughts on Austin. I think next year we will see the Jurkovec to Austin connection quite often.

Second your thoughts on Austin. I think next year we will see the Jurkovec to Austin connection quite often.
so are you thinking then that Jurkovec beats out Book for the starting job next fall. Phil sure showed late in the game that he can throw a bullet with that arm that he has

so are you thinking then that Jurkovec beats out Book for the starting job next fall. Phil sure showed late in the game that he can throw a bullet with that arm that he has

I remember the first time I saw Dayne Crist throw a pass. It was about a 50-yard rope to maybe John Goodman in a game against Washington State that was played in Texas for some reason or other. Thought he would be the greatest QB in Notre Dame history. Alas.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Lost in all the Book talk was the play of #4 Kevin Austin... (2 catches/35yrds) That catch he made (out of bounds, wide throw) was Floyd-like in the way the ball stuck to his hands. Kid's gonna be a good one; Boykin better step it up!

I know it was mop-up time but #34 Jahmir Smith impressed me with his hard inside running. A battering ram. (Okay, just two runs but 8 yrds/carry but runs hard and low, a future first down machine?)

Bo Bauer seemed a bit lost at times, but when he makes a hit, you can feel it. (6 tackles)

Houston Griffith is developing nicely. Looks confident out there for a Freshman.

Can we get our soon-to-be 5* Kyle Hamilton (6'3") a year early to win some jump balls in the end zone next week?

"Boykin better step it up!"

I don't think Boykin was targeted much at all Saturday -- the announcers made a similr comment on the broadcast. I think he had a few catches -- but hey, if teams are worried about him, that opens the field for many others...

"Boykin better step it up!"

I don't think Boykin was targeted much at all Saturday -- the announcers made a similr comment on the broadcast. I think he had a few catches -- but hey, if teams are worried about him, that opens the field for many others...
I honestly don't think teams are worried about him. They know they can play tight man coverage vs him and he won't separate, and he hasn't shown the ability to use his size (keeps falling down). Wimbush gave boykin plenty of jump ball opportunities. Boykin is a zone killer, but is struggling mightily against man.

At the game, warm ups, and during the game alize, austin, and claypool are just different level athletes from miles and were running open a bit. Book didn't see claypool wide open twice on deep passes and the one he connected on and the penalty on austin, if he had led them a bit more you could have had monster long TD passes.

Austin was in the game a good bit for Boykin.

Completely agree on Austin, he's a player.

Too early to tell with Smith until he gets a carry in the first half or at least 3 quarters of a game while it's still in doubt. He's short and compact.

Bauer definitely made a ton of mistakes but now you have them in real game film. he is not afraid to get in and mix it up, and hit.

Griffith is just such a smooth athlete, once he's a bit more confident and ready to play the ball in the air, he's going to be awesome.

I honestly don't think teams are worried about him. They know they can play tight man coverage vs him and he won't separate, and he hasn't shown the ability to use his size (keeps falling down). Wimbush gave boykin plenty of jump ball opportunities. Boykin is a zone killer, but is struggling mightily against man.

At the game, warm ups, and during the game alize, austin, and claypool are just different level athletes from miles and were running open a bit. Book didn't see claypool wide open twice on deep passes and the one he connected on and the penalty on austin, if he had led them a bit more you could have had monster long TD passes.

Austin was in the game a good bit for Boykin.

There is a reason that Boykin is ahead of Claypool in every category (except for 1 TD)

Claypool is a better athlete, but he'll be a significantly inferior WR until he decides he actually cares about route running, physicality, and actually trying on a high % of the snaps.

Hopefully we see our WR's and TE's start to "step up", because we have lots of potential and lots of options at those positions

Reactions: Kelso86
Boykin doesn't seem to get separation. Don't get me wrong, I like him, but he hasn't proven to be the weapon that Floyd or Fuller or Jeff S or even Stephenson were... We need a playmaker!

I really like the idea of having Dex/Jones in the backfield and Jafar in the slot, but that will obviously take away some of his development as a RB. I think that would be a deadly combo of Austin/Chase/Jafar and Dex/Jones with Book's mid range passing and RPO.

Griffith is young and over rated. Probably both. I will take a guy like Julian Love over him any day of the week.

There is a reason that Boykin is ahead of Claypool in every category (except for 1 TD)

Claypool is a better athlete, but he'll be a significantly inferior WR until he decides he actually cares about route running, physicality, and actually trying on a high % of the snaps.

Hopefully we see our WR's and TE's start to "step up", because we have lots of potential and lots of options at those positions
Agree. Thought maybe claypool turned “it” on. Maybe he hasn’t yet

boykin has had 1 reception in every game other than Ball State, and we just played against the worst pass D we'll face.

I was at the game, claypool was open a few times for big plays that book did not see. You didn't see boykin running open much at all.

Honestly, why would teams be scared of boykin? His one catch vs LSU? He does not play explosive or athletic. I sure hope boykin balls out but he's struggled this year, as has chase at times. I'm hoping with book at QB our athletes will get the ball more like we saw against wake. I want boykin and claypool to both be absolute studs, but boykin just doesn't pass the eye test when he's in the game.

boykin has had 1 reception in every game other than Ball State, and we just played against the worst pass D we'll face.

I was at the game, claypool was open a few times for big plays that book did not see. You didn't see boykin running open much at all.

Honestly, why would teams be scared of boykin? His one catch vs LSU? He does not play explosive or athletic. I sure hope boykin balls out but he's struggled this year, as has chase at times. I'm hoping with book at QB our athletes will get the ball more like we saw against wake. I want boykin and claypool to both be absolute studs, but boykin just doesn't pass the eye test when he's in the game.

Guys like you love to rely on this "eyeball test" and it leads you down the wrong road, over and over and over again.

Claypool passes the "eyeball test" but not the football test. And that's all that matters.

It doesn't matter if someone "looks explosive", if they simply don't play well.

There is a reason that every coach ackowledges Boykin as the #1 WR
Those are the same reasons that Boykin leads the team receiving yards and yards/catch.

Claypool has potential, but Boykin is the #1 WR on the team

Claypool has the chance to move into a 1(a)/1(b) role, if he ever gets his head out of his ass....but not before.
(dude jogs on more routes than a 40 year old trying to "get back into shape")

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT