10/28 Vs Wake Forest
11/4 @ Clemson
11/25 @ Stanford

Also
@NCST TBD
@UL TBD
@Duke TBD
vs Pitt TBD

It’s hard to analyze rosters like years past because there are over 1,000 players in the FBS portal. That said, most here seem to be on the same page in regards to NDs ‘23 success, and that’s the play at our QB position.

Buchner shows flashes of greatness but counters it with moments of head scratching poor plays/decisions. It seems Hartman is likely to end up at ND and they’ll battle for the job.

ND should, I repeat should (see Marshall) be 3-0 going into their match up against an OSU team that will loose their 1st round draft pick QB in Stroud, a few key OL, and Wr’s. However, OSU has been unbelievable in reloading at both QB and WR the past 10-15 years. I saw McCord play some mop up duty this year and he throws a tremendous ball. They’ll also have the best WR in CFB in Marvin Harrison Jr.

Personally, I want a win over OSU more then any other team on the schedule.

USC returns Williams and some very talented WRs and probably will bring in another 20 free agents. I do t say this often about College players but I really don’t like Williams, his fingernail painting is asinine and a D move IMO. I can’t believe Riley allows it. For that reason alone, I hope ND knocks his head off.

Clemson will be back to being a top 5 team next season. I think Klubnick is the real deal, the WR corps will be better, and the D which was banged up much of this season should be in a better position next year as well.

I don’t know much about anyone else on the schedule. I have t looked to see what Pitt, NCST, etc.. return next year.

After a cursory look it seems most of NDs better opponents will return more starters then the Irish going into next season.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
A look at ND’s ‘23 schedule.

8/26 - Vs Navy in Ireland
9/2 - vs Tennessee State
9/16 vs Central Michigan
9/23 vs OSU
10/14 vs USC
10/28 Vs Wake Forest
11/4 @ Clemson
11/25 @ Stanford

Also
@NCST TBD
@UL TBD
@Duke TBD
vs Pitt TBD

It’s hard to analyze rosters like years past because there are over 1,000 players in the FBS portal. That said, most here seem to be on the same page in regards to NDs ‘23 success, and that’s the play at our QB position.

Buchner shows flashes of greatness but counters it with moments of head scratching poor plays/decisions. It seems Hartman is likely to end up at ND and they’ll battle for the job.

ND should, I repeat should (see Marshall) be 3-0 going into their match up against an OSU team that will loose their 1st round draft pick QB in Stroud, a few key OL, and Wr’s. However, OSU has been unbelievable in reloading at both QB and WR the past 10-15 years. I saw McCord play some mop up duty this year and he throws a tremendous ball. They’ll also have the best WR in CFB in Marvin Harrison Jr.

Personally, I want a win over OSU more then any other team on the schedule.

USC returns Williams and some very talented WRs and probably will bring in another 20 free agents. I do t say this often about College players but I really don’t like Williams, his fingernail painting is asinine and a D move IMO. I can’t believe Riley allows it. For that reason alone, I hope ND knocks his head off.

Clemson will be back to being a top 5 team next season. I think Klubnick is the real deal, the WR corps will be better, and the D which was banged up much of this season should be in a better position next year as well.

I don’t know much about anyone else on the schedule. I have t looked to see what Pitt, NCST, etc.. return next year.

After a cursory look it seems most of NDs better opponents will return more starters then the Irish going into next season.
I dont think Clemson D will be better next year. I think they are losing their best players

In my gut I see 10-2. Firmly believe ND beats Ohio and SC but loses to Clemson and one of the @ ACC teams not given a date yet. 9-3 floor. 11-1 ceiling

It's pretty simple, with Hartman we could win 10+ games, with Buchner we probably win less than 8.

With our running game and offensive line we could potentially make a run at the playoff, just need a QB.

Ncsu loses a lot to transfer portal and the oc is likely going to Coastal Carolina. Good defense and total unknown offense is expected

Clemson’s days as elite are done, they are sliding back towards above average … amazing what a difference one player made, TL and Watson both put that team on their back and carried them. All they have going for them now is their conference schedule is not tough.
yep, but FSU is emerging as a power once more. And Mia. will be a factor. That might be the weakest ND schedule I’ve ever seen. Times have surely change. ‘To be the best, you have to beat the best’ days are long gone!

It's pretty simple, with Hartman we could win 10+ games, with Buchner we probably win less than 8.

With our running game and offensive line we could potentially make a run at the playoff, just need a QB.
Floor is higher with Hartman. He's the safe consistent bet

Ceiling is higher with Buchner. He's the riskier selection.

But do you want another run of the mill 10 and 2 season or do you actually want to go for it.

I want to go for it. I'm developing and playing Buchner because he gives us a better chance to win against the more elite teams of he hits his ceiling. I'm going to gamble because I want to win big

But do you want another run of the mill 10 and 2 season or do you actually want to go for it.

I want to go for it. I'm developing and playing Buchner because he gives us a better chance to win against the more elite teams of he hits his ceiling. I'm going to gamble because I want to win big
What makes Buchner have a higher ceiling? He threw three picks last night, two against Marshall, and he's almost a sure bet to miss games to injury.

His form on his throws have to get a lot better just to get his ceiling to Brandon Wimbush levels. Give me Hartman all day.

Reactions: Tru2Irish and bcnd
What makes Buchner have a higher ceiling? He threw three picks last night, two against Marshall, and he's almost a sure bet to miss games to injury.

His form on his throws have to get a lot better just to get his ceiling to Brandon Wimbush levels. Give me Hartman all day.
Hartman threw 4 picks against Pitt last year. 3 against Louisville this year. 3 against Nc st this year.

Buchner brings an element to the run game that Hartman does not.

If Buchner can improve his accuracy, we can be deadly. Because teams are going to be trying to stop our run game with him and our backs. That leaves a lot of one on ones and a lot of the field opens up because what we would be in the run game.

He's good at changing arm angles and good in the rpo game. I know it's a big if, but if his accuracy improves. We are going to be hard to stop

Hartman threw 4 picks against Pitt last year. 3 against Louisville this year. 3 against Nc st this year.

If Buchner can improve his accuracy, we can be deadly. Because teams are going to be trying to stop our run game with him and our backs. That leaves a lot of one on ones and a lot of the field opens up because what we would be in the run game.

He's good at changing arm angles and good in the rpo game. I know it's a big if, but if his accuracy improves. We are going to be hard to stop
South Carolina had like 20 guys sitting out on defense and they were clearly gassed in the second half, I think you're massively overrating the offense from yesterday.

• Haha
Reactions: Ndapolis1
It is virtually impossible to accurately predict next year. There are too many unknown factors that can correlate to varying results.

1) Can ND have a consistent and good QB with a good passing game?

2) Can the OL be consistent, playing well right out of the gate?

3) Can Tommy Rees optimally use his backs, maybe giving Estime more of the ball? And Can Tommy not make terrible calls like that pick 6 on 1st and goal when ND could have gone up by 14?

4) Can the defense be strong and consistent as well?

5) Can Freeman recruit in depth, considering NIL, transfers, and academic accommodation at other programs? I consider this the greatest factor of all, which is kicking in already but will deepen in the next 2-3 years.

I have no idea? Maybe ND can be 9-4 vs 11-2? I am pretty sure ND cannot be a NC if making the playoff...although I will be wildly cheering for it. ND has the said issues at depth, particular skill positions to be an elite like GA right now.

BTW: the verdict is out on OSU and Michigan. Today will say a lot here.

We are finally on the same page here.

I am not disillusioned, if Hartman comes he's likely starting next year... But I do think 2 years of Buchner starting could be special.

He made some very good throws yesterday. I’m just concerned with his ability to stay healthy.

He made some very good throws yesterday. I’m just concerned with his ability to stay healthy.
Agree. With the running style and injury history, it’s almost a certainty that he gets hurt at some point. Have to have a good backup ready.

But damn our O is fun to watch when the backs and OL are in sync…..add Buchner’s running to that, and it’s a lethal offense.

Agree. With the running style and injury history, it’s almost a certainty that he gets hurt at some point. Have to have a good backup ready.

But damn our O is fun to watch when the backs and OL are in sync…..add Buchner’s running to that, and it’s a lethal offense.
I think I said that half a dozen times yesterday. “NDs offense is way more wide open than when Pyne was running it” one of my Coach friends is a huge Trojan fan. He said “this offense beats USC”

Will play more than likely 3, top 10 teams again. BK never played that schedule. Not once did he play 3 top 10 I can remember.

That’s a very tough schedule.

The key is figuring out how to keep Buchner healthy. Not sure it’s possible with his running style.

South Carolina had like 20 guys sitting out on defense and they were clearly gassed in the second half, I think you're massively overrating the offense from yesterday.
No .. 5 guys on D... we had 4 on D.. when someone throws our random numbers wether joking or not it loses credibility! That was a very good team that ND beat yesterday! And TB from Ohio State/Marshall to the game yesterday was much improved!!!

Great resiliency and drive from a tough Irish team in the win. In terms of QBs, still looking for the one who is going to hit our talented receivers. Our offense needs the playmaker abilities of Merriweather, Colzie, Styles, and others to make it more dangerous. TB has some trouble there but so did Pyne. Nice play to Lenzy, though. If he can do that with the emerging receivers, the offense will reach a new level. Watched Hartman, he did find open receivers more consistently than TB and had the "throw on a rope" that got the ball in. Not seeing that yet from TB. A lot of his passes made me think about what a poster once said about a QB a few years ago (from the Christmas Story movie), "Wowee, it's a zeppelin!" LOL.

No .. 5 guys on D... we had 4 on D.. when someone throws our random numbers wether joking or not it loses credibility! That was a very good team that ND beat yesterday! And TB from Ohio State/Marshall to the game yesterday was much improved!!!
Nobody is making excuses for South Carolina losing, Notre Dame had guys out as well.

I'm just saying that it's easy to overrate the offense when most of their defense sat out. I'm thrilled that Notre Dame won but Buchner is not the answer long term.

Reactions: Get Nasty
Buchner doesn't throw a ball accurately, which unfortunately is the most important skillset needed to play QB. That said, Buchner is an outlier talent as a running QB and an insanely talented athlete, meaning that there is a high degree of likelihood imo that he can either:
(a) develop throwing accuracy or
(b) move to strong safety and start/succeed day 1

Buchner doesn't throw a ball accurately, which unfortunately is the most important skillset needed to play QB. That said, Buchner is an outlier talent as a running QB and an insanely talented athlete, meaning that there is a high degree of likelihood imo that he can either:
(a) develop throwing accuracy or
(b) move to strong safety and start/succeed day 1
Too fragile for strong safety!

Clemson’s days as elite are done, they are sliding back towards above average … amazing what a difference one player made, TL and Watson both put that team on their back and carried them. All they have going for them now is their conference schedule is not tough.
Losing Venebal also.

Reactions: bcnd and chaseball
Will play more than likely 3, top 10 teams again. BK never played that schedule. Not once did he play 3 top 10 I can remember.

That’s a very tough schedule.
Enough of the Brian Kelly horse shit, he’s gone and what he did or didn’t do is irrelevant when it comes to what Freeman does as HC.

I think the 2023 depth chart at QB looks like this right now:

1. Hartman
2. Buchner
3. Angeli
4. Minchey

I'm hoping Buchner has a really good off-season and wins the job though. He had some bad throws vs South Carolina for sure, but he made up for those mistakes with big plays. I think he's still at an early enough place in his development where he can become more efficient and less mistake prone.

I think both QBs will be needed either way (either because of injury or because they provide a skill the other one is lacking).

Losing Venebal also.
Notre Dame fans desperately want to cling to this delusion that they are only a star QB away from winning a national title but don't realize how many other critical areas of the organization are lacking which prevents ND from enabling a player to be a star QB here.

Clemson had three of the best coaches in college football all on the same staff during the Watson & Lawrence years. This gave them a competitive advantage on the recruiting trail and they were able to leverage that into some elite commitments. They didn't just have Watson and Lawrence, they developed a roster loaded with 4 & 5 star talent by the time Lawrence was a junior. They had two of the best OCs in college football (Tony Elliott & Jeff Scott) running the show. None of that is going on at ND right now.

If you were one of the five or so 5-star QBs coming out of HS would you bet your career/NFL future on ND and their system and their roster over their competitors right now? I wouldn't. ND needs the resources to attract the best offensive players and coaches. God isn't just going to beam Trevor Lawrence reincarnate to the Gug complex, ND needs to put in the work/investments/resources to increase their chances at scouting/developing/recruiting the next Trevor Lawrence.

Last edited:
yep, but FSU is emerging as a power once more. And Mia. will be a factor. That might be the weakest ND schedule I’ve ever seen. Times have surely change. ‘To be the best, you have to beat the best’ days are long gone!
Not really because in the playoff world, you have to beat two really, really good teams, usually with generational QBs and/or a roster of 10 NFL draft picks.

Reactions: bcnd
Buch had some throws you just can’t teach with people hitting him as he is releasing. He also showed his ability to get 3rd and shorts or take runs. DP could never do that. Do you know how frustrated we would be with a 3rd and 3 QB sneak it that was against us? Or the 3rd and 1 he moves around the right. He also had some deep balls. Yea, he had a few stinkers. No argument but game 2.75 in 3 years seems like there is lots of upside.

Can anyone go back and ever remember an easier path to 3-0? That opening 3-week schedule is frankly embarrassingly easy

1000% correct, Clemson without Watson or Lawrence only lives in the Top 10, because the ACC is weak. Heck a 9-4 ND team, with a limited back up QB, ran through UNC and Clemson, the teams in the ACC Title game, like crap through a tin horn.

Can anyone go back and ever remember an easier path to 3-0? That opening 3-week schedule is frankly embarrassingly easy
College Sports Clapping GIF by College Colors Day

Reactions: BGI User 1596
This is NOT a prediction, but I actually think it's PLAUSIBLE for ND to lose 4 regular season games again next year.

Losses to OSU, USC and Clemson plus an upset loss.

Is Marshall on the schedule ?

Overconfidence never ages well.
Oh, i did not realize you were playing or coaching in the game? For those of us who have no impact on the game, it is okay to say the first 3 teams are not good, these should be little more than scrimmages and If ND loses any of those first 3 games, people should be fired on the spot.

This is not 2007-2009. This program is deep, talented and should be way past worrying about beating tomato cans. The games this year were lost because an inexperienced HC f-ed up.

The Head Coach now has 14 games under his belt. ND will be 3-0. Age this

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT