ADVERTISEMENT

... at the ND vs UCONN WBB game...

raycyrx

Irish Expert
Oct 22, 2002
My wife and I have second row from the floor seats. We are standers and yellers, particularly when the opposing team has the ball.

So on the first UCONN possession of the game, we are standing and yelling. Apparently, a spectator behind us was not thrilled with that situation and asked an usher to tell us to sit down. When the Irish got the ball back, my wife and I both sat down and I turned around to make eye contact with the spectator. He said to me, "Do you know who I am?" I said, "Of course I know who you are." It was Digger Phelps.

Now it just so happens that I had watched the Onward Notre Dame episode about the ND/USC rivalry and watched the famous Digger speech about the green machine at the 1977 pep rally. It's difficult for me to put together those two clearly different people... one demanding that the crowd get involved in the game, and the other demanding that a fan sit down.

I sit by the sophomores in the stadium for the last 20 years. Mostly they stand. Many will sit. Still others will leave early, like at halftime early. Don't make an issue out of sitting and standing, old and young, who has more spirit and who is crabby. I'll be 66 soon and I stand the whole game, every game. I have no issue with Digger or you and your wife. It's like the crowd sitting early during a concert, except for two gals who are standing, main floor, waving their arms, dancing, and blocking the view of the folks ten rows directly behind them. I don't blame the gals and I don't blame the ones sitting. The ushers have a real problem with this issue for years now. Don't act like you are somehow more hip than Digger though. Someday you'll be 77 if you are lucky.

Digger always had a big ego ... perhaps bigger than warranted.
As far as stand or sit etiquette you have to go with the group and guessing at a WBB game the group is sitting ... especially in the good seats.
What was Digger’s take on the game?

My wife and I have second row from the floor seats. We are standers and yellers, particularly when the opposing team has the ball.

So on the first UCONN possession of the game, we are standing and yelling. Apparently, a spectator behind us was not thrilled with that situation and asked an usher to tell us to sit down. When the Irish got the ball back, my wife and I both sat down and I turned around to make eye contact with the spectator. He said to me, "Do you know who I am?" I said, "Of course I know who you are." It was Digger Phelps.

Now it just so happens that I had watched the Onward Notre Dame episode about the ND/USC rivalry and watched the famous Digger speech about the green machine at the 1977 pep rally. It's difficult for me to put together those two clearly different people... one demanding that the crowd get involved in the game, and the other demanding that a fan sit down.

Did you ask him to do a pep talk for 12/29/2018???
Then we'll get Lou to do one for the final game against the Sooners.

As far as stand or sit etiquette you have to go with the group and guessing at a WBB game the group is sitting ... especially in the good seats.

I'm sure he thought Muffet didn't go into the four-corner stall soon enough.

I didn't bother asking.

yep, sit down, no one came to the game to see you! Bring a good book with you next time if you have trouble sitting still! Respect the elders!

Someday you will be an elder. You will have your opportunity to walk in their shoes. Standing or sitting is an issue for years and will continue to be. Young people don't own the book on how to support the team.

Someday you will be an elder. You will have your opportunity to walk in their shoes. Standing or sitting is an issue for years and will continue to be. Young people don't own the book on how to support the team.
I guess I'm confused. Since I'm in my mid-50s, am I an elder of someday, or a young people?

So here's the real question... When the players and coaches talk about the great support they get from their fans and how the fans help them through tough games, are they talking about people they can hear or people who are asking others to sit down?

I guess I'm confused. Since I'm in my mid-50s, am I an elder of someday, or a young people?
No confusion. It's an issue that has been discussed not only on message boards everywhere, but also by the university and the stadium ushers themselves. There is no right or wrong. I simply pointed out that it is not a young vs old thing. I'm glad I sit in a section that stands the whole game so there are no issues. But, if everybody would sit and cheer, then when in Rome, do as the Romans. I think the stadium stance is stand and be loud but be respectful of those around you. What does that even mean? This debate will never go away I'm convinced.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT