ADVERTISEMENT

As per hvillebill Wolverines licking their Chops to play ND this year.......

As a Michigan fan I don't even want to think about football right now. Harbaugh has to make some serious decisions on what is the identity of this team. Harbaugh has to decide what he is going to do on offense. The reality of college football is a great offense beats a great defense. Even Nick Saban realized this even though he has the pick of who he wants. I recall watching Alabama coming from behind against Auburn a few years ago to win comfortably even though Auburn scored 40+. A great defense decreases the variance when you are supposed to win. But you will not muddle your way against a dominant team.

It is not clear to me if this is Harbaugh's philosophy or Pep Hamilton's. 2015-2016 UM was far more innovative with far less talent. The exception of Jake Butt UM really did great athletic talents. One could make the case the Oline was not much better. In an era of running QB's Shea Patterson had 2 QB runs out of read option, both which picked up a 1st down. That was it as everything else was sacks and QB scrambles. There were no RPO's, no crossing routes and despite having a very capable space backer in Evans they almost never threw to the RB.

UM has enough to beat the teams they are supposed to. They might even surprise ND since it is a home game early and ND has to replace a lot. But it is s pointless win if Harbaugh does not change his attitude.

Great coaches need to be able to change with the times. A great case study is John Beilein whose teams could still beat you even if you only had 15 defensive rebounds and allowed 52 percent shooting because they hit every shot. Now UM is a ridiculous defense oriented team that a Nick Staukus team would never recognize. Now the center of the team is a midget point guard who can't hit FT's much less an outside shot. But it works because he gets in the grill of every other PG and does not allow opposing offenses to set up

Harbaugh has to do what Beilein did. He has to fire Hamilton if this is Hamilton's idea or tell Hamilton to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT