ADVERTISEMENT

AP poll rant....

88ND

I've posted how many times?
Sep 9, 2013
The good old AP poll has had some real bump the head moments over the years but this past week might be one of their biggest disgraces ever.

I'm talking about Army.

The team that took Oklahoma into overtime at Norman Saturday night.

No big deal right???

Except for the fact that Oklahoma barely dropped one spot down to 6th from 5th...thats OK if you're going to reward Army and recognize their effort.

What's ridiculous is that Army received absolutely zero votes. Forget about top 25...they got nothing even in the others recieving votes. Nothing!!!

The coaches poll might be just as bad. They kept OU at 5th but Army got some votes. A whopping 4 votes.

I know these dont mean much come week 6 but outside of the top 4 they still mean a great deal.

WTFE....

Go Army!!!!

Reactions: Java65 and francade
Nd wins the next two weeks they will be in everyone's top 4. Whether that completely reflects in the polls or not doesn't really matter.

Georgia doesn't play their first good team until october 13th
Alabama doesn't play a good team until 11/3
clemson could end up playing 0 teams that are ranked when the season ends, but they have two tricky games at home vs syracuse and NC State and maybe duke if they have their QB back
oklahoma is now getting into the meat of their schedule
Ohio state is at PSU this weekend
LSU plays both georgia and Bama still (ouch)
We play stanford

In the end, ND controls our own destiny.

The good old AP poll has had some real bump the head moments over the years but this past week might be one of their biggest disgraces ever.

I'm talking about Army.

The team that took Oklahoma into overtime at Norman Saturday night.

No big deal right???

Except for the fact that Oklahoma barely dropped one spot down to 6th from 5th...thats OK if you're going to reward Army and recognize their effort.

What's ridiculous is that Army received absolutely zero votes. Forget about top 25...they got nothing even in the others recieving votes. Nothing!!!

The coaches poll might be just as bad. They kept OU at 5th but Army got some votes. A whopping 4 votes.

I know these dont mean much come week 6 but outside of the top 4 they still mean a great deal.

WTFE....

Go Army!!!!
How about the coaches poll, keeping Vtech in top 25 after losing to Old Dominion?

Reactions: 88ND
It’s hard to vote after those games. They are such the outlier playing the academies. Okla will probably ROLL these next games. If anything it should just make people realize why our game against Navy every year is no cake walk. It’s a real shitty week of preparation and hopefully no injuries. Pain in the ass!

Reactions: francade
Bama, georgia, clemson and osu will stay top 4 until one loses. No matter how close they play.

The ap no lomger is about who or how you play its about perceived strength. They should remove all lower division teams from the record and they shouldnt count towards bowl eligibility.

Bama, georgia, clemson and osu will stay top 4 until one loses. No matter how close they play.

The ap no lomger is about who or how you play its about perceived strength. They should remove all lower division teams from the record and they shouldnt count towards bowl eligibility.

All of those four teams have generally been playing well. And aside from Clemson, all will play very challenging schedules.

.............. its about perceived strength.

This reminds me of a famous quote from a popular Lou Holtz speech ...

"there's one thing we want more than anything else ... and that's respect"

Those programs have it/have earned it.

They are more talented than everybody else (coaching staff included), they dominate their opponents, and they win/compete for national championships ...

They are essentially what Notre Dame was for most of the 20th century.

Last edited:

They are more talented than everybody else (coaching staff included), they dominate their opponents, and they win/compete for national championships ...

Im fine with most of that, however the regular season and title games have to mean something. Alabama may be the best team but if they cannot even make their conference title game they shouldnt be in the cfp, even if the optics are that they are the best team. There have to be consequences for losses and it seems alabama is immune to that.

Im fine with most of that, however the regular season and title games have to mean something. Alabama may be the best team but if they cannot even make their conference title game they shouldnt be in the cfp, even if the optics are that they are the best team. There have to be consequences for losses and it seems alabama is immune to that.

If Bama can't get in at 11-1, should an 11-1 ND suffer as well? Assume similar SOS and MOV.

Georgia has had one really good season, last year. They were 8-5 the previous year. To say they are what ND was most of the 20th century is blasphemy.

Reactions: 88ND
Georgia has had one really good season, last year. They were 8-5 the previous year. To say they are what ND was most of the 20th century is blasphemy.

Georgia is 17-2 over their last 19 games and were 1 possession away from winning a national title over Alabama last season. They've signed FIFTEEN 5 star recruits, and have the #3, #1, and #1 classes since the Kirby Smart hire. This program has more momentum than anybody right now.

Last edited:
Georgia is 17-2 over their last 19 games and were 1 possession away from winning a national title over Alabama last season. They've signed FIFTEEN 5 star recruits, and have the #3, #1, and #1 classes since the Kirby Smart hire. This program has more momentum than anybody right now.
That's great but do we really need to rehash what Notre Dame football did in the 20th century? It was a little better than a lost national championship and 3 great recruiting classes.

That's great but do we really need to rehash what Notre Dame football did in the 20th century? It was a little better than a lost national championship and 3 great recruiting classes.

I wasn't comparing georgia's program to NDs accomplishments over the course of an entire century. I was saying that Georgia (between its win-loss record/point differentials/recruiting prowess/national championship contention) is dominating college football the way notre dame used to. And as a result, they have the respect of pollsters in the way notre dame used to as well.

I wasn't comparing georgia's program to NDs accomplishments over the course of an entire century. I was saying that Georgia (between its win-loss record/point differentials/recruiting prowess/national championship contention) is dominating college football the way notre dame used to. And as a result, they have the respect of pollsters in the way notre dame used to as well.
They are NOT dominating college football..

They are NOT dominating college football..

Not taking sides here, but I don't know that ND has "dominated" college football since the post-war years with Leahy. From Ara on through Lou, we often had one of the best teams in the country, but we were rarely that one team like Alabama has been with Saban or Miami was with Jimmy Johnson.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT