ADVERTISEMENT

Another Loss On The Big Stage, But This One Feels Different

Dec 7, 2007
It's 3:45 in the morning. I am still pissed off from last night. ND loses again in a big game.

But this one felt different. In the past couple of decades, we would lose these games because we didn't belong there. We just weren't good enough.

But last night, we could (and should) have won the game. For 59 mintues and 57 seconds we were the better team. Or at the very least, we were OSU's equal. We can look at a play here, or a play there, and the outcome would have been different. But we lost.

So in terms of the big picture--is the program is making a step forward?--all is not lost. We can make the playoffs, but now we will need to win out. It is as simple as that. This team is good enough to do that. Now go out and do it.

Last edited:
Honestly reminded me of at Georgia, Clemson 15, @FSU, 05 USC.ect... we did the same bs we have been doing the last 3 decades. The time management & playing calling was baffling. We just cant finish the job.

It's 3:45 in the morning. I am still pissed off from last night. ND loses again in a big game.

But this one felt different. In the past couple of decades, we would lose these games because we didn't belong there. We just weren't good enough.

But last night, we could (and should) have won the game. For 59 mintues and 57 seconds we were the better team. Or at the very least, we were OSU's equal. We can look at a play here, or a play there, and the outcome would have been different. But we lost.

So in terms of the big picture--is the program is making a step forward?--all is not lost. We can make the playoffs, but now we will need to win out. It is as aimple as that. This team is good enough to do that. Now go out and do it.
The difference is that 2023 Ohio State is not that good. Their QB and HC are liabilities.

Agree 100%
Here for the first time in a long time it looked like we belonged
I had 0 confidence in Kelly when it came to big games
Looks like Freeman goes into big games to win and doesn't play "not to lose"
Even on that last drive he tried to win instead of giving the ball back to Ohio State
if Ohio State player doesn't break that screen pass we are taking knee with win without giving ball back to Ohio State.
I have faith in Freeman to keep getting us better so when we go into big games we expect to win.
I still have my doubts however about our OC he seems like a step above Tommy but not sure what's his ceiling

I can’t sleep.

Agree. Great post. This felt different.

Kelly wasn’t beating the big boys. Freeman can/will.

Freeman is taking a ton of heat tonight. I get it. But what’s the next play? Fire Freeman? Bring in who?

Freeman and the program are ascending. Last night, I felt like we were better than Ohio State. We looked the part. That hasn’t happened here since Holtz.

The difference is that 2023 Ohio State is not that good. Their QB and HC are liabilities.
Really? Our coaching wasn't exactly stellar. Our QB didn't throw the ball down the field - though it's not Hartman's fault they didn't call the plays for him.

Agree 100%
Here for the first time in a long time it looked like we belonged
I had 0 confidence in Kelly when it came to big games
Looks like Freeman goes into big games to win and doesn't play "not to lose"
Even on that last drive he tried to win instead of giving the ball back to Ohio State
if Ohio State player doesn't break that screen pass we are taking knee with win without giving ball back to Ohio State.
I have faith in Freeman to keep getting us better so when we go into big games we expect to win.
I still have my doubts however about our OC he seems like a step above Tommy but not sure what's his ceiling
This is a really good ND team and no excuse to go so conservative on offense. This is on the coaching staff. Don't want to hear how great our coaching staff is after a loss like this.

I can’t sleep.

Agree. Great post. This felt different.

Kelly wasn’t beating the big boys. Freeman can/will.

Freeman is taking a ton of heat tonight. I get it. But what’s the next play? Fire Freeman? Bring in who?

Freeman and the program are ascending. Last night, I felt like we were better than Ohio State. We looked the part. That hasn’t happened here since Holtz.
I am not saying fire Freeman but the coaching staff was outcoached. They need to get much better. Inexcusable loss IMO.

Reactions: DublinND
Really? Our coaching wasn't exactly stellar. Our QB didn't throw the ball down the field - though it's not Hartman's fault they didn't call the plays for him.
I saw no evidence that long pass would be successful. On the few we tried, the defender was breathing on the intended receiver.

And we had a 4th down where OSU jumped over the short pass.

I don't know whether the problem is the receiving corps or the OC, or both. But calling deep passes tonight does not win the game. If there was a path to victory, it probably was sticking with run-run-run on the last drive.

The bottom line is this. Until they start winning these type of games , the narrative of “ paper tiger “ or “ overrated “ will persist. There is absolutely no excuse for losing that game. None !! Just like the Israelites , ND has been wondering in the desert ever since that killer loss to BC in 1993. Anyone who thinks they will simply bounce back next week at Duke , you’d be kidding yourself. They will be in for a dog fight. I wouldn’t be surprised if Duke wins. The amount of energy they put into this game will be impossible to duplicate next week. We will find out how good MF is against Duke

Or did they; but nobody got separation. There is play calling and there is execution.

I am not saying fire Freeman but the coaching staff was outcoached. They need to get much better. Inexcusable loss IMO.
They weren’t “outcoached”, they were guilty of ineptness and coaching malpractice.

Where is Paul Finebaum when you need him ?

I was impressed with both teams and really surprised by the OSU defense whereas in the past 3 or 4 years they ALWAYS crapped the bed on big stages. Don't be surprised to see both teams be serious playoff contenders at the end of the year. My prediction - ND 35 - USC 27 which will send ND into the Playoffs where they meet OSU again - this time ND 24 - OSU 21

In the last 3 minutes, absolutely.

Throughout the game, no. Golden really was calling a pretty masterful gameplan. Holding osu to 10 points through 57 minutes was historic. That simply does not happen to them

But the end was inexcusable and all people will remember. And maybe rightfully so

In the last 3 minutes, absolutely.

Throughout the game, no

But the end was inexcusable and all people will remember. And maybe rightfully so
You must have missed the fourth down and short calls on offense earlier in the game, or the last offensive series to put the game away.

All were abysmal situational coaching.

Again. Freaking abysmal.

You must have missed the fourth down and short calls on offense earlier in the game, or the last offensive series to put the game away.

All were abysmal situational coaching.

Again. Freaking abysmal.
Offensively. I mentioned the defense. It was as impressive as I can remember until 136 left on the game. Then it went to shit

Reactions: DublinND
Perhaps the HC, but McCord is going to be a good one. For only his 4th start and first big game he showed a lot of poise and grit. He’ll just get better. Also, their defense is championship quality.

Tough loss. It really doesn't matter if you outplay a team if you don't execute in crunch time. That is what good teams do. The Duke game is a must win if we want to go to a big bowl game.

Tough loss. It really doesn't matter if you outplay a team if you don't execute in crunch time. That is what good teams do. The Duke game is a must win if we want to go to a big bowl game.
Everybody keeps talking the 10 men on the last play but OSU got the ball on their own 35 with around 1:30 left and drove the length of the field. That's where the phucking game was lost and I believe their young, inexperienced QB even converted a 3rd and 19 play in the process. I read on one of the OSU sites that he was 10-12 on 3rd down with 155 yards with an inexperienced OL. Not exactly the trait of a soft team like old, burned-out Lou Holtz referenced. Give OSU credit.

To say I'm pissed-off right now would be a huge understatement. That was our game and they took it from us

Last edited:
I was impressed with both teams and really surprised by the OSU defense whereas in the past 3 or 4 years they ALWAYS crapped the bed on big stages. Don't be surprised to see both teams be serious playoff contenders at the end of the year. My prediction - ND 35 - USC 27 which will send ND into the Playoffs where they meet OSU again - this time ND 24 - OSU 21
What game were you watching? We scored 14 points. SC Trojans would be upset if they did not get 14 points halfway through the first quarter.
Yep. Went to shit.

Before that a masterpiece. We lost the game on offense though
Yeah we lost on offense. The defense was weird. OSU kept making futile runs and then throwing an inside slant on third down that always worked. The pass that got them to the 1 must have been like the fifth time it happened.

Honestly reminded me of at Georgia, Clemson 15, @FSU, 05 USC.ect... we did the same bs we have been doing the last 3 decades. The time management & playing calling was baffling. We just cant finish the jo
Everybody keeps talking the 10 men on the last play but OSU got the ball on their own 35 with around 1:30 left and drove the length of the field. That's where the phucking game was lost and I believe their young, inexperienced QB even converted a 3rd and 19 play in the process. I read on one of the OSU sites that he was 10-12 on 3rd down with 155 yards with an inexperienced OL. Not exactly the trait of a soft team like old, burned-out Lou Holtz referenced. Give OSU credit.

To say I'm pissed-off right now would be a huge understatement. That was our game and they took it from us
It's really tough to give teams of that caliber 4 shots at you each series. However, there is absolutely NO excuse for the 3rd and 19.....that cannot happen......they would have been better tackling him and taking the PI......would have been 7 seconds from the 10. A good 2 deep saftey should have seen that pass coming long before and picked it or knocked it down. There were saftey issues in that game last night.

Yep. Went to shit.

Before that a masterpiece. We lost the game on offense though
The difference is they made plays on defense and on offense in the final 3 minutes, and we did not.

People were complaining about Hartman taking the 5-yard loss, but I think if he handed off, there would have been a good chance of a fumble. The same OSU defender who blew up that play made a brilliant play on the screen pass that followed. Pretty certain that would have been good for a first down, or even a TD, if he did not break up that pass.

Brown had a chance to intercept, but couldn't bring it in, and McCord later throws into tight coverage on third and 19.

I saw no evidence that long pass would be successful. On the few we tried, the defender was breathing on the intended receiver.

And we had a 4th down where OSU jumped over the short pass.

I don't know whether the problem is the receiving corps or the OC, or both. But calling deep passes tonight does not win the game. If there was a path to victory, it probably was sticking with run-run-run on the last drive.
It’s easy. We played a talented back 7 on the D and had some good drives. Not one 3 and out. A couple punts. Had some nice drives.

Feeeman made a mistake and let’s see how he reacts this week. We should have stayed with run and used it even better to pass

The difference is they made plays on defense and on offense in the final 3 minutes, and we did not.

People were complaining about Hartman taking the 5-yard loss, but I think if he handed off, there would have been a good chance of a fumble. The same OSU defender who blew up that play made a brilliant play on the screen pass that followed. Pretty certain that would have been good for a first down, or even a TD, if he did not break up that pass.

Brown had a chance to intercept, but couldn't bring it in, and McCord later throws into tight coverage on third and 19.
Spindler had some rough plays

They were immediately successful with Tyree on the pass but never went that route again. Were somewhat successful with 2 set backs but never took advantage. The Dbacks not having someone in front of Egbuka was inane. The guys got great hands and no one to deflect the pass. Bertrand is terrible in pass defense. DJ Brown has hands of stone[most every back intercepts that pass]. When is ND gonna improve on tackling??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT